Disney Competing with WDWMagic????

artvandelay

Original Poster
This is from the Disney Annual Report, page 21:

Parks and Resorts most ambitious Internet project is a "massively multi-player" online theme park, scheduled to go live in 2005. In this "virtual Magic Kingdom", online Guests cam experience Disney theme parks from home using an "avatar" - or online persona - to visit attractions, participate in an online Disney theme park community and customize their own virtual guest room.

What do you all think?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
artvandelay said:
This is from the Disney Annual Report, page 21:

Parks and Resorts most ambitious Internet project is a "massively multi-player" online theme park, scheduled to go live in 2005. In this "virtual Magic Kingdom", online Guests cam experience Disney theme parks from home using an "avatar" - or online persona - to visit attractions, participate in an online Disney theme park community and customize their own virtual guest room.

What do you all think?

Sounds like a neat idea, doubt they can pull it off. This is quite different than WDWmagic though.

wannabeBelle

I agree with Thrawn, Although parts of the Disneyworld website are already multimedia. I was checking it out yesterday. Go to the map on the front page and click on Magic Kingdom. A map will appear with a bunch of Dots click on Some of the more interactive ones like Wishes, Cinderella's Castle, the train etc. Have fun!! Belle

wannab@dis

wannabeBelle said:
I agree with Thrawn, Although parts of the Disneyworld website are already multimedia. I was checking it out yesterday. Go to the map on the front page and click on Magic Kingdom. A map will appear with a bunch of Dots click on Some of the more interactive ones like Wishes, Cinderella's Castle, the train etc. Have fun!! Belle

I don't think the maps are what they are talking about in the report. The MMPOG environment is 3D in nature and has instant messaging as a part of the experience. Check out City of Heroes as an example. It could be a huge hit!

Sounds really cool! You must nead a top notch PC for it though, surely?

And it will be totally different to WDWmagic IMO seeing as that will be official and selective whereas this site brings all the rumours, gossip and info in great depth!!!

WDWmagic will NOT die because of it! - if they can pull it off! :lookaroun

WDWmagic rocks! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It sounds like they are creating a visually interfaced discussion forum. While similar to WDWmagic I doubt it will really compete with it. There are dozen’s of Disney discussion forums out there and what really makes one better that the other are the people on it. And without a doubt WDWmagic has as members that are some of the nicest most intelligent people I have ever met. That’s what makes it the best one out there.

Main Street USA

Sounds like they've partially ripped off my Virtual Visit idea, no? It's been 2 years since I first published the idea to the web, and for about a year I had detailed examples of how it would work, but because I'm only one person, executing it has become a nightmare. 1700 pictures (not including attractions) and each picture has at least 4 directional options to choose for your next step. That's approximately 6800 different pages that need to be set up flawlessly for navigation of the park.

Honestly, I was hoping Disney would see the idea and do it better than me. Maybe this is my wish coming true.

nicholas

I remember this being discussed awhile ago. I always got the impression it was like City of Heroes (like someone mentioned above) which is a game I am quite a fan of so was very excited for it to be released.

And I know someone who has played this virtual Magic Kingdom game at a press event, so it should be released within the next few months. I for one plan on buying it immediately.

disneytati

Beany-Fantasmic said:
And it will be totally different to WDWmagic IMO seeing as that will be official and selective whereas this site brings all the rumours, gossip and info in great depth!!!

WDWmagic will NOT die because of it! - if they can pull it off! :lookaroun

WDWmagic rocks! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Yeah, I totally agree with you!!!!!! They will control it very much... it will be really cool, but totally different from what we have here.

I love you, WDWmagic!!!!!!!!!! :kiss:

cocoabeach

Man, sounds like everyone wants to get on the Massive Multiplayer bandwagon. However, I think Disney should note how many companies have gone under doing the massive virtual world thing.

As a plus on their side, this has a much wider appeal than a video game like Everquest but I think they will drastically underestimate the amount of development this will require. Also, the kinds of people that want to participate in a Disney virtual world aren't going to have high end computer hardware so they may have loads of headaches in tech support.

Cool idea though. I'm skeptical it will pan out. Message boards are enough for me to live the magic all year. And they're free to boot.

General Grizz

Main Street USA said:
Sounds like they've partially ripped off my Virtual Visit idea, no? It's been 2 years since I first published the idea to the web, and for about a year I had detailed examples of how it would work, but because I'm only one person, executing it has become a nightmare. 1700 pictures (not including attractions) and each picture has at least 4 directional options to choose for your next step. That's approximately 6800 different pages that need to be set up flawlessly for navigation of the park.

Honestly, I was hoping Disney would see the idea and do it better than me. Maybe this is my wish coming true.
But I'm sure you'd do better than those making this project (unless they are great Disney FANS). In the past, you can tell the attraction experts haven't exactly run the Disney online websites. . .

This should be interesting, but nothing will replace our happy home! :)

wannabeBelle

General Grizz said:
But I'm sure you'd do better than those making this project (unless they are great Disney FANS). In the past, you can tell the attraction experts haven't exactly run the Disney online websites. . .

This should be interesting, but nothing will replace our happy home! :)
I couldnt agree more Grizz!!!!!! Belle

I'm interested in the "online community" deal. I wonder if they mean discussion boards and such? And, if so, I wonder if you would ever be able to say bad things about the company? Yikes! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom