Disney College Program, is it worth it?

DisneyWorldDork

Original Poster
Hey everyone, not sure if this has been posted here before but here it goes anyway.

I am thinking about doing the Disney College Program in the next year. Tuns of people at my school have done this program but i keep getting mix signals. Some say it is the most amazing time they have ever had. Others say that Disney screws you over and tells you one thing but once you get there its a completly different story. So,is it really worth it? I Love Disney World and would love to just be there for that long of a time but then agian, could being there that long and seeing what is behind the scenes make the magic go away.

If you have or know anyone who has gone through this program, please help me out. I really want to do this because I absolutly LOVE disney but i just want to know what i am getting into. Thanks!

Biff215

It's been a while now, but I participated in the program way back in Spring 2000. I was a lifeguard at Blizzard Beach, and loved my experience there. It's one of those things I will never, ever forget. With that said, there are probably just as many people who have bad experiences on the Program.

The number one piece of advice I can give you is to take everyone else's opinions into account, but then make your own decision on whether or not to participate. Too many people go into the program with crazy expectations, and then trash Disney after it doesn't work out for them.

Basically, it's just like anything else. It is what you make of it, and it's not for everyone.

You may want to take a look at my site to read more about my experience, as well as check out the message boards for information from others.

http://www.wdwcpinfo.com

I don't touch the site much anymore, and a lot has changed in the past eight years. Most of the information is still relevant, however, and should give you an idea of what it's all about.

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

-Brian

chels26

im in the CP right now, and all i have to say is im having the time of my life.
i work a LOT of hours, and make little money. but i have made amazing friends and i love every moment of it.

joanna71985

Hey everyone, not sure if this has been posted here before but here it goes anyway.

I am thinking about doing the Disney College Program in the next year. Tuns of people at my school have done this program but i keep getting mix signals. Some say it is the most amazing time they have ever had. Others say that Disney screws you over and tells you one thing but once you get there its a completly different story. So,is it really worth it? I Love Disney World and would love to just be there for that long of a time but then agian, could being there that long and seeing what is behind the scenes make the magic go away.

If you have or know anyone who has gone through this program, please help me out. I really want to do this because I absolutly LOVE disney but i just want to know what i am getting into. Thanks!

I have done the CP 3 times (and hope to do a 4th in May). I think it is a great program. I have learned a lot, both about Disney and about myself. If you'd like to talk about the program, I can try to answer your questions.

darthjohnny

I haven't done it, but I haven't heard the greatest things.

On the one hand, I've heard that people like it because they are, of course, working in Disney, and you get free admission to the parks and what not.

But, I've heard a lot of people say they were treated like low class workers having to do laborious tasks. It all depends on the job you get, I guess.

It does, however, look good on your resume, especially if you want to get your foot in the door with the Walt Disney Company.

But, if your on any scholarships, I would recommend checking all the details, especially if you scholarship requires you to be a full time student. You might end up losing it if you decide to participate in the program.

C.M.O

I am dating myself...I was in the CP summer of 1996 and 1997 :lookaroun I feel so old. I LOVED it. The year I went down they had hired too many CPs and a bunch of us were shipped to other condo's away from Vista Way which kind of sucked because we missed a lot of fun being off the site and the ride to work was always long (the second year I brought my own car). You do not make any money and you do get the worst hours (but as a college kid working until 1 AM didn't seem that big a deal) but I had a blast and met so many cool people. I would do it again and again. I say go for it!

maryszhi

i heard both: great memories, disney treated them well, gret college program..well worth it. others say disney screws you over and u dont even know until after. I am prob. going to do it and really dont are. ive wanted to do this since i was a little girl and dont care about negative comments

joanna71985

Yes, it is true that the hours can be bad and the pay is low. However, it is a paying internship. You won't find that many of those. And if you budget carefully, you can bring home some money. I brought home almost $3,000 my second program. Even with the negatives, I would never give away the great memories and friends I made.

KaliSplash

I can address only one part of your question as I know nothing about the CP. However, regarding the 'making the magic go away," for me at least, that would be a real concern.

I have never done a backstage tour because I don't want to go backstage. I DON'T want to know what goes on behind the scenes. Heck, I'm even fairly happy that I live two states away so I don't get to go to the parks that often.

Which is not to say I don't wish I could go more often, I do. BUT, I have relatives in the central Florida area who profess to love Disney but still rarely go. Why? Because for them, it's NOT magic, it's just a nice place to go. (Or a place you have to take your relatives when they visit.)

In short, I would think seriously about this aspect of your question. For me, I would never consider it because I don't want to go backstage. I love WDW and the escape it provides. I don't want all the gory and less than wonderful details about how that happens.

DisneyWorldDork

Original Poster
I have done the CP 3 times (and hope to do a 4th in May). I think it is a great program. I have learned a lot, both about Disney and about myself. If you'd like to talk about the program, I can try to answer your questions.

3 TIMES!?!?!? I didnt even know you could do it more then once! Were they 3 in a row or did you do the program, go back to school, do the program....

Also, other then getting there, what does the program cost because i am seeming to have trouble finding that.

MattyFresh

as has been mentioned....it is what you make of it, so yes it could be a bad experience....but it is one of the FEW internships that will pay you. Let me put this perspective on it, as I feel I might be one of the few. I was selected to go, but let my mother and my girlfriend (at the time) talk me out of going....it is the biggest mistake of my life, I have since lived with the since of regret. If you feel its the right thing for you and you get the chance, I say go for it. How will you ever know if its a bad thing or if it wasn't right for you?? I wish I could hit rewind and do it all over again, I would have gone that summer and every other time I was able to go.

csaribay

People at my school have done this program but i keep getting mix signals. Some say it is the most amazing time they have ever had. Others say that Disney screws you over and tells you one thing but once you get there its a completly different story. So,is it really worth it? I Love Disney World and would love to just be there for that long of a time but then agian, could being there that long and seeing what is behind the scenes make the magic go away!

Well, it's good you've heard both sides of the argument for and against the Disney College Program. Everyone's experience can be different, but I think those who didn't have a good time came down with the wrong expectations. You will be expected to work- at times with long hours, and keep a smile on your face all the while. I personally just completed a program, and I had the time of my life. Sure, I had my share of challenging shifts, but even the worst of these wouldn't cloud my perception of the program- it is a living, learning and earning experience like no other. While it's true that most on the college program begin with roles that have tasks with minimal responsibility, depending on your work performance and the individual area, you can do a lot more- I know I did. If nothing else, the program offers you a venue to get Disney on your resume, which is a great thing to have.

I've heard one person describe the program as a test of character, and I think that holds some weight. It's not for everyone.

As far as "spoiling" the magic, that's a personal call you'll have to make. Knowing what I know now makes me appreciate the time and thought put into WDW that much more.

Also, other then getting there, what does the program cost because i am seeming to have trouble finding that.

There is a non-refundable $75 program assessment and activities fee that must be paid, but this is only after you are extended an offer to participate on the program. This is the only fee associated with the living & earning components. If you choose to take courses while on your program, you will be responsible for a small portion of the costs associated with the classes (typically $25-50, not more than $100) that are deducted directly out of your paycheck, in installments over a reasonable period (couple weeks).

AllStarGuard

I did the WDW College Program in the Fall of 2000 (Other Fall 2000 CPer's Please message me if you want to get in touch...).

It was a great experience for me. It totally changed my life. I have always been a Disney nut, but being down there was awesome! I cannot wait until the day that I tell my children that I met their mommy at WDW.

My wife worked at MK Casey's Corner and I worked at All Star Resort as a Lifeguard. We met because my upstairs neighbors in Vista Way apt 907 hung out with her.

I have put in my time as a Campus Rep for Illinois State over the last few years, which will reap the benefits of a free park pass for WDW.

It is now 7 years since we have completed the WDW College Program and have married and had two good looking boys, Mikey and Colin.
Christmas2007126.jpg

If you have ANY questions or concerns about the College Program, please message me and I can give you a call or message back. All the info up front is good to have.....it is still a good time even though working might stink sometimes.

Mike

davidpw97

It's been a while now, but I participated in the program way back in Spring 2000.
Basically, it's just like anything else. It is what you make of it, and it's not for everyone.
You may want to take a look at my site to read more about my experience, as well as check out the message boards for information from others.

-Brian

Spring 2000 here as well, QSFB in epcot. Nice site you've got there and some good advice.

Is it worth it? I guess it depends on what you are expecting to get out of it. Do you want to meet alot of interesting people and make some good friends? If so, then yeah it is worth it, I doubt you'll find anyone who's done a CP and did not make atleast one good friend and most people seem to make several. Do you hope to further your career and enhance your resume? Disney looks good on a resume but it isn't an automatic free pass to a great job, however if you'd like to work for Disney after graduation, the CP is a great way to get your foot in the door and make some contacts. So it's worth it if you want to work for Disney in the future, but not as worth it if your future career path has nothing to do with Disney. Will you benefit financially? While it is a paid internship, it is also an expensive internship because of the low pay and cost of housing, food, and whatever else you have to buy. Some people might come home with extra money in their bank accounts but If I had to guess I would say that most do not. Is it worth taking a semester off of school and putting yourself behind in terms of graduation? For me personally, in a way taking a semester off was one of the best things I could have done. I was incredibly burnt out from school before my CP, but the semester afterwards I was ready to get back to the grind and did better than I had before. But putting myself a semester behind meant the difference between graduationg Pre 9/11 (June 2001) and post 9/11 (December 2001) and with a degree in hospitality, graduating at a time when hotels are laying people off like crazy was not easy but that was a unique situation.
Anway, everyone's situations and CP experiences are different and as everyone else says, they are what you want them to be. You can choose to work hard and make alot of friends or you can choose to slack off and make no friends and risk getting sent home early. Whatever expectations you have going into the program could be turned completely upside down as mine were. Prior to the CP I was dreading the living conditions but looking forward to the working conditions and in reality I ended up enjoying my roommates and hating my job. For me it was worth it because I made some good friends, rejuvenated my academic career, and learned that working for Disney, atleast in a front line, high guest contact area was not for me at all.
Good Luck with your decision.

Bug715

I'm sure I'm going to repeat a lot of what other people have said but I have to respond!!

OF COURSE!!!!! I did it last semester and loved it!!!!! I worked on Main Street in Magic Kingdom and we stayed open later than everyone else in the park plus our park almost always closed last. I worked a lot of late shifts but LOVED it! I worked with other CPs and ICPs so the nights were fun and it was wierd when I got a morning shift. I didn't have the best roommate experience but it wasn't bad enough to ruin my time there. The pay isn't the best but you get into the parks for free!! Plus merchandise disounts I believe that it was worth it.

I'm a Campus Rep on my campus so obivously I loved it. I miss it sooo bad that I'm making many trips down in the next year. I've been home a month and 12 days and am going crazy. I'm moving back when I graduate in a year.

But there are people who didn't like it. You'll find that with everything. I had friends who were so excited to be going home when our program ended and I would start crying when I thought about it. Feel free to PM me for more info or anything.

wedway71

I never did it however, know some people that did.

I think the 2 biggest advantages for CP are....

A- chance to network with Disney people and the chance for a career with TWDC.

B- Even if you choose not to make Disney a career just to have Disney on your Resume-STANDS OUT.

joanna71985

3 TIMES!?!?!? I didnt even know you could do it more then once! Were they 3 in a row or did you do the program, go back to school, do the program....

Yup, you can do the CP more then once. You can extend for up to a year, and then you have to leave. But you can go back again after that.

For me, I did Spring 2005 (Jan-Aug 2005) then went home. I went back in FA 2006 (May 2006 to Jan 2007) then went home. I then did the Summer Progam 2007 (May-Aug) and I have applied to do the Summer Program 2008 (May to Aug). And...if all goes well, I should be graduating in Dec. I would then do Spring 2009 and then go FT. Whew!

GiggleGoddess

It's been a while now, but I participated in the program way back in Spring 2000. I was a lifeguard at Blizzard Beach, and loved my experience there. It's one of those things I will never, ever forget. With that said, there are probably just as many people who have bad experiences on the Program.

The number one piece of advice I can give you is to take everyone else's opinions into account, but then make your own decision on whether or not to participate. Too many people go into the program with crazy expectations, and then trash Disney after it doesn't work out for them.

I don't touch the site much anymore, and a lot has changed in the past eight years. Most of the information is still relevant, however, and should give you an idea of what it's all about.

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

-Brian

Do you have a blog?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom