Disney College Program, is it worth it?

coilback

My dream role is character performer. But my other role is character attendant (which I do enjoy a lot). I don't mind doing this if I'm not able to pass the auditions.

Ah, cool. Well good luck to you. Hopefully things are going smoother now there. I know some shady stuff was happening in Entertainment when I was working there FT and the cutbacks started. I still miss it there. Don't miss Florida itself that much, but I do miss Disney.

jwein101

Biggest Mistake

I was super excited to work for Disney this summer 2011, I didn't even care what job I was going to get I just couldn't wait to work at Disney World. Well, when I got here Vista Way was full so I was stuck in Chatham (big mistake). Chatham is pretty lame. There's nothing much to do and you have to walk alot t0 get anywhere (Walgreeens or the gas station is the closest by). Also, when you have roommates you don't really click with, it can be hard to.

Anyways, onto the job. When you're employed at Disney they have this ridiculous point system to stop you from being late or doing bad on the job. You get a 1/2 point when you're late and a full point if you call in (SICK) which is ridiculous because it goes on your record card and it's looked at as a bad thing when you can't help if your sick.
So, I started off my program with no points. But it's really hard to keep a clean record card and the managers don't make it any easier. They give you discussions (which show up on your record card too) about anything! I got in trouble for wearing a wrinkled apron when other employees have told me they've come into work with stained uniforms and they didn't get in trouble.

The management at MSN shops (Casey's and Bakery and Cone Shop) is horrible! I've never met such rude and unhelpful managers in my life. They just sit in their office and gossip and do things behind the employees backs. They don't care about their employees or getting to know them, they treat them like ________ and think of them as a number.

I've given up on my job and hardly schedule hours anymore because I work hard as ever and feel there's a double standard. The workers that don't work hard never get in trouble yet I get in trouble for a wrinkled apron! It's ridiculous. I'm done being treated like ________ and I quit at the end of the month. This program was not for me. It may be for you if you have a better job or don't mind being treated like ________ and like a 2 year old with dumb rules at the apartments when we pay 95 a week!

In my opinion, if you get MSN shops (Main Street North Magic Kingdom) as a job here, DONT TAKE IT if you don't like being treated like ________, the job is not worth it. It's like I work at McDonalds and get no praise for my hard work. It's ________________ and I'm done with it.

ntoeman

I've given up on my job and hardly schedule hours anymore because I work hard as ever and feel there's a double standard. The workers that don't work hard never get in trouble yet I get in trouble for a wrinkled apron! It's ridiculous. I'm done being treated like ________ and I quit at the end of the month. This program was not for me. It may be for you if you have a better job or don't mind being treated like ________ and like a 2 year old with dumb rules at the apartments when we pay 95 a week!

To each his or her own...I really enjoyed my CP and I do know a hand full of people who unfortunately did not enjoy their time there. I'm a firm believer that like any real world job (or heck, any experience I suppose), the CP is one where it is what you make of it. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your brief time there, but I know more people than not (including a few who did work all along Main Street) who loved what they had the opportunity to do on the CP and some have continued to stay connected in the company because of their CP experience. :wave:

CaptainShortty

I was super excited to work for Disney this summer 2011, I didn't even care what job I was going to get I just couldn't wait to work at Disney World. Well, when I got here Vista Way was full so I was stuck in Chatham (big mistake). Chatham is pretty lame. There's nothing much to do and you have to walk alot t0 get anywhere (Walgreeens or the gas station is the closest by). Also, when you have roommates you don't really click with, it can be hard to.

Anyways, onto the job. When you're employed at Disney they have this ridiculous point system to stop you from being late or doing bad on the job. You get a 1/2 point when you're late and a full point if you call in (SICK) which is ridiculous because it goes on your record card and it's looked at as a bad thing when you can't help if your sick.
So, I started off my program with no points. But it's really hard to keep a clean record card and the managers don't make it any easier. They give you discussions (which show up on your record card too) about anything! I got in trouble for wearing a wrinkled apron when other employees have told me they've come into work with stained uniforms and they didn't get in trouble.

The management at MSN shops (Casey's and Bakery and Cone Shop) is horrible! I've never met such rude and unhelpful managers in my life. They just sit in their office and gossip and do things behind the employees backs. They don't care about their employees or getting to know them, they treat them like ________ and think of them as a number.

In my opinion, if you get MSN shops (Main Street North Magic Kingdom) as a job here, DONT TAKE IT if you don't like being treated like ________, the job is not worth it. It's like I work at McDonalds and get no praise for my hard work. It's ________________ and I'm done with it.

OP, you're always going to get people that didn't like their program like jwein. Didn't like their role, work locations, fellow CMs, roommates, etc. Let me assure you that these people are much fewer than those that enjoyed their program. I had an absolutely amazing CP experience and would go back to do it again in a heartbeat. I lived in Chatham with 5 awesome roommates and loved it. 3 of those roommates and I are still great friends and talk weekly even over a year later.

I managed to not even get a single point on my record card during my program. The program isn't for you if you're not planning to work hard. You're going to have long hours, sometimes at strange times. You're going to put up with a lot of nonsense from guests but in the end, it's really what you make of it. No one likes getting yelled at but it comes with the territory and if you can let it role off your back and just smile back at them you'll get through it just fine. Overall, I never dreaded coming to work (except maybe those 5AM shifts :p)

Just like any job, some managers are good, some are bad. I had some of the best managers I could have ever asked for (Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Front Office). Of the 13 of them I really couldn't pick one I absolutely hated. Honestly there was only 1 CM of the whole department who I didn't like working with so that's pretty good odds. Some of course were better than others but they all treated me respectfully and helped me whenever I needed it. They demanded a lot and have incredibly high standards, but that's what makes Disney what it is. The managers always told me what was expected and I never thought it was unwarranted. The company is unlike any other I've ever seen in given CMs wiggle room to make the guests happy. It was great to know I could do something (like upgrade a guest) and not get in trouble for it.

Every work location is different, ever role is different and every person is different. As far as if it's right for you, you're the only one who can decide that. As far as your major, my roommate was a film major and she met a bunch of people who she could network with. Maybe request photopass because it is the closest to your major of any of the others? Also, there are great classes on creativity that I'm sure would be beneficial to you. In the end, if you're looking to work with Disney in any capacity full time, it's a great thing to have on your resume. I'm still employed with them as a Campus Representative and am going to be applying for a PI for next fall (in wedding planning). In my eyes, it was completely worth it and I would give anything to do it again. But as I said, the decision if it's right for you can only be made by you.

spbink

There's no age limit for the College Program, as long as you are currently attending college or have just graduated. Graduate schools count too.

wdwjmp239

I think the WDW College Program is pretty cool! I've had friends in the past who've done it and they've really enjoyed the experience! I'm sure some experiences I read on here are worse than others, but it's all about what you make the most of your experience. While I haven't done the WDW College Program (the colleges I've attended don't participate in it), I can imagine Disney's thought behind it is to ensure employment after the student graduates. Unless I'm wrong?

CaptainShortty

I think the WDW College Program is pretty cool! I've had friends in the past who've done it and they've really enjoyed the experience! I'm sure some experiences I read on here are worse than others, but it's all about what you make the most of your experience. While I haven't done the WDW College Program (the colleges I've attended don't participate in it), I can imagine Disney's thought behind it is to ensure employment after the student graduates. Unless I'm wrong?

I'm not sure what college you went to but I'm pretty sure that every college is allowed to do the CP. There aren't any exceptions from what I know of. That being said it may have been hard with your major to fit it in and not graduate on time. But I'm not sure what your case it. Disney doesn't guarantee CP alumni a job after graduation but it certainly gives you a leg up. I was once told that about 80% of Disney management are college program alumni. So with that figure it certainly doesn't hurt you. Plus it's a great experience to put on your resume no matter where you apply for a job and its so much fun! I'll remember my time down there are long as I live. =)

joanna71985

I'm sorry you had problems there. I worked at Casey's in 2008, and loved the MSN managers

wdwjmp239

I'm not sure what college you went to but I'm pretty sure that every college is allowed to do the CP. There aren't any exceptions from what I know of. That being said it may have been hard with your major to fit it in and not graduate on time. But I'm not sure what your case it. Disney doesn't guarantee CP alumni a job after graduation but it certainly gives you a leg up. I was once told that about 80% of Disney management are college program alumni. So with that figure it certainly doesn't hurt you. Plus it's a great experience to put on your resume no matter where you apply for a job and its so much fun! I'll remember my time down there are long as I live. =)

I went to Hodges University in Naples, FL where I completed a Bachelors in Computer Information Technology and two Masters Degrees in Management Information Systems (with concentrations in Systems Analysis & Software Engineering). That school didn't participate in the Disney College Program.

Thank you for the correction about the CP "guaranteeing" a job after graduation. I'm sure it would've give that particular individual a leg up in the hiring process for full time work.

CaptainShortty

I went to Hodges University in Naples, FL where I completed a Bachelors in Computer Information Technology and two Masters Degrees in Management Information Systems (with concentrations in Systems Analysis & Software Engineering). That school didn't participate in the Disney College Program.

Thank you for the correction about the CP "guaranteeing" a job after graduation. I'm sure it would've give that particular individual a leg up in the hiring process for full time work.

Impressive. I know a lot of school's won't give you credit for doing the program (mine didn't) but I've never heard of a school not allowing their students to participate until you. Interesting. I'm going to have to ask my boss (I'm currently a student CP recruiter) about that one. And not a problem about the clarification. =)

wilkeliza

Quick question. How is the CP program handled if you start after you graduate? I have read as long as I apply while I'm still a student I can do CP the entire year after I graduate. So my question is, Is you school technically involved at that point? I won't be getting any credit so it will basically be just like I was really working for Disney instead of CP. Also besides the obvious are there any major difference between Disneyland CP and Disney World CP? I know at Disneyland money is due before you get there for your rent etc. but are their different requirements.

I'm asking because I was originally going to apply for the theatrical technician/design internship but after talking to a few people at Disney they told me do the CP first and then apply for the internship because if my name is familiar with the Disney bunch I have a better shot because they like to hire with in for the bigger internships.

wdwjmp239

Impressive. I know a lot of school's won't give you credit for doing the program (mine didn't) but I've never heard of a school not allowing their students to participate until you. Interesting. I'm going to have to ask my boss (I'm currently a student CP recruiter) about that one. And not a problem about the clarification. =)

Even if the school did participate in the program, I wouldn't have been able to attend anyways. But, as I said, I heard some pretty cool things about it! And the experiences I've heard really don't do it justice! I guess you really have to go THROUGH the program. :)

joanna71985

Quick question. How is the CP program handled if you start after you graduate? I have read as long as I apply while I'm still a student I can do CP the entire year after I graduate. So my question is, Is you school technically involved at that point? I won't be getting any credit so it will basically be just like I was really working for Disney instead of CP. Also besides the obvious are there any major difference between Disneyland CP and Disney World CP? I know at Disneyland money is due before you get there for your rent etc. but are their different requirements.

I'm asking because I was originally going to apply for the theatrical technician/design internship but after talking to a few people at Disney they told me do the CP first and then apply for the internship because if my name is familiar with the Disney bunch I have a better shot because they like to hire with in for the bigger internships.

If you do the CP right after graduating, your school won't really be involved (I did that myself- I had my last class July 2009, and went down on the CP about 3 weeks later).

Now, for DL and WDW- DL costs more up front, takes less people, there are a few role differences, and guaranteed hours are different (while at WDW you are guaranteed 32 hours, at DL it could be a lot less).

wilkeliza

If you do the CP right after graduating, your school won't really be involved (I did that myself- I had my last class July 2009, and went down on the CP about 3 weeks later).

Now, for DL and WDW- DL costs more up front, takes less people, there are a few role differences, and guaranteed hours are different (while at WDW you are guaranteed 32 hours, at DL it could be a lot less).

Thanks for the information. As of right now I won't be living on campus with either program but that could change before I apply. Can I apply for both parks and just turn down which offer I don't want?

DL is what I am leaning towards as a compromise for my boyfriend. He can find work in his career in L.A. and I want to work my way up through Disney Theatricals so either park is fine. Talked to a lot of people who keep telling me working my way up the internships including a year in either park is the way to get my foot in the door with Disney Theatricals. I either want to do lighting for shows or even in the restaurants. I know WDW has more to offer because there are more jobs, more places to be placed, and more people so I have to keep debating for this semester and then apply next semester.

joanna71985

Thanks for the information. As of right now I won't be living on campus with either program but that could change before I apply. Can I apply for both parks and just turn down which offer I don't want?

DL is what I am leaning towards as a compromise for my boyfriend. He can find work in his career in L.A. and I want to work my way up through Disney Theatricals so either park is fine. Talked to a lot of people who keep telling me working my way up the internships including a year in either park is the way to get my foot in the door with Disney Theatricals. I either want to do lighting for shows or even in the restaurants. I know WDW has more to offer because there are more jobs, more places to be placed, and more people so I have to keep debating for this semester and then apply next semester.

That's fine. I know a lot of people that apply to both.

KamiNoMakai

I am planning on applying for the spring 2013 year. Is there anything really important that I need to know for the application? And does the program accept people on grants?

Taylor

Just found out that the college I'm planning on going to gives credit hours for the CP and that I won't lose my scholarship. Applying for the CP next year

lego606

MagicBandit
I am planning on applying for the spring 2013 year. Is there anything really important that I need to know for the application? And does the program accept people on grants?

The program will accept anyone, you just have to make sure your college is OK with it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom