Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

Benjamin_Nicholas

It is a part of the new inclusivity that Disney is stretching hard to conform to. It’s very woke and super cringy. Almost like Chick-fil-a using “my pleasure” instead of you’re welcome. Again, super cringy.

Chick has long passed the point of being able to atone for their BS. I cringe at them, in-general.

I don't find inclusivity cringey.

I find those who can't adapt to something new to truly be the cringeworthy ones.

Last edited:

CntrlFlPete

Until reading this thread I did not know anyone would consider the word "friend" as offensive.

I think it is in the way that it can be so disingenuous (not to mention it is obviously a directive)-- well, that is what can offend me with the number of times I hear it while at the parks -- I guess it is just a change as my wife and daughter use to get it (in the form of 'princess') and now everyone is just a friend, but these folks are not my friend, so not sure why so many want to pretend to be my friend. I'd rather the attention go back to my ladies while I never minded not being included in the princess label.

Seriously though, I do tire of it rather quickly, some cast members use it well, others, not so well.

castlecake2.0

I think it is in the way that it can be so disingenuous (not to mention it is obviously a directive)-- well, that is what can offend me with the number of times I hear it while at the parks -- I guess it is just a change as my wife and daughter use to get it (in the form of 'princess') and now everyone is just a friend, but these folks are not my friend, so not sure why so many want to pretend to be my friend. I'd rather the attention go back to my ladies while I never minded not being included in the princess label.

Seriously though, I do tire of it rather quickly, some cast members use it well, others, not so well.
In time people will find what’s works best for them. I don’t like using friends so I just say “everyone” or theme it to the area I am in... “welcome ashore, castaways”, “hello world traveller” etc

CaptainAmerica

How on earth is addressing someone as “friend”—about as traditional and polite a salutation as there is—woke?
The current iteration started in elementary schools, where addressing students as "boys and girls" was deemed problematic because it enforced the gender binary or some such.

It baffles me that some automatically regard inclusive language as intrinsically bad and newfangled, even when, as in this instance, the word in question is a rather quaint (if uncommon) way of greeting people in English.
That's the opposite of what happened. Nobody is saying "friends" is offensive. It's the people saying "friends" who determined that "boys and girls" or "ladies and gentlemen" are offensive.

castlecake2.0

The current iteration started in elementary schools, where addressing students as "boys and girls" was deemed problematic because it enforced the gender binary or some such.

That's the opposite of what happened. Nobody is saying "friends" is offensive. It's the people saying "friends" who determined that "boys and girls" or "ladies and gentlemen" are offensive.
I don’t think all people saying friends have decided saying ladies and gentleman is offensive, it’s just not inclusive when addressing a crowd of people. When assisting guests individually I still say sir or ma’am.

CaptainAmerica

I don’t think all people saying friends have decided saying ladies and gentleman is offensive, it’s just not inclusive when addressing a crowd of people. When assisting guests individually I still say sir or ma’am.
That's fair. When I said "...the people..." I mainly meant the activists adamantly pushing this stuff, not every person who has ever used the word. I personally have no problem with "friends," or "folks" or "fellow travelers" or whatever.

My only complaint about friends would be if it was thematically misplaced. It shouldn't be used to gather people in the Stretching Room, for example.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Did you ever wonder why so many people who have English as a second language calls everyone 'friend'?

It's because in many languages, 'friend' is the usual and normal greeting.

¡Hola, amigos!

Better than 'folks' or 'guys' or 'youse guys' or 'pardner.'

'Pardner'!! I'm not your darned 'pardner,' buddy.

Buddy... is that too much like 'friend'?

LittleBuford

The subject of this thread is CMs addressing groups of guests. In that context, I find the word "friends" not only acceptable but preferable. It saves the CM the effort of having to work out what to call the group (it's not always possible to tell a person's gender just by looking at them), and it spares any members of the group the embarrassment of being misgendered. And before anyone thinks I'm referring only to nonbinary or trans people, let me add that it's perfectly possible to mistake cisgender men for women, and vice versa. I've seen it happen and it can be awkward for all concerned.

And besides all of that, being addressed as "friends" by a CM feels very Disney to me. I can't see why anyone would have an issue with it.

LittleBuford

Did you ever wonder why so many people who have English as a second language calls everyone 'friend'?

It's because in many languages, 'friend' is the usual and normal greeting.

¡Hola, amigos!

Better than 'folks' or 'guys' or 'youse guys' or 'pardner.'

'Pardner'!! I'm not your darned 'pardner,' buddy.

Buddy... is that too much like 'friend'?

"Mate" serves this function in certain varieties of English (including Cockney), though it's almost (or at least usually) directed at men.

LittleBuford

Another of those woke activists . . .

quote-friends-romans-countrymen-lend-me-your-ears-mark-antony-77-60-76.jpg

LittleBuford

I guess it is just a change as my wife and daughter use to get it (in the form of 'princess') and now everyone is just a friend, but these folks are not my friend, so not sure why so many want to pretend to be my friend.
I mean, if your objection to "friend" is that it's inauthentic, surely the same applies to your wife and daughter being called princesses.

LittleBuford

A bit tangential, I know, but a few years back, a CM greeting my partner and me for dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table addressed us as "royalty", as in, "Welcome, royalty, we're very pleased you're joining us. Follow me, royalty, to your table." It struck me as utterly strange and unidiomatic, almost as weird as someone saying to me, "Hello, human being, it's good to see you." If they really wanted to create such a fantasy, they should have addressed us as "Your Majesties" or "Your Highnesses", which would have been odd in its own way but at least idiomatic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A bit tangential, I know, but a few years back, a CM greeting my partner and me for dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table addressed us as "royalty", as in, "Welcome, royalty, we're very pleased you're joining us. Follow me, royalty, to your table." It struck me as utterly strange and unidiomatic, almost as weird as someone saying to me, "Hello, human being, it's good to see you." If they really wanted to create such a fantasy, they should have addressed us as "Your Majesties" or "Your Highnesses", which would have been odd in its own way but at least idiomatic.
You should have been greeted: "Welcome, hereditary autocrats!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom