Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

Skibum1970

I do chuckle a little when a trainer calls the group of people that she is working with "friends" because she probably wouldn't talk to them if they weren't paying. I suppose that they could call us "neighbors". Still, I honestly don't mind being called a "friend" or being told "welcome home". It is nice and does set a nice mood.

As the saying goes, "You can call me anything you want. Just don't call me late for dinner."

celluloid

I used this term to guests with my time at Sea World and Universal. I can't recall if I ever did it back in my Disney's 2011 time frame. It is friendly like saying dear valued guests without the money connotation. It is polite and simple. I always like it.

In a world where the company has moved some major announcements to not to use "Ladies and Gentlemen," you will probably be hearing it more.

Goofyernmost

1639532810882.png

Lilofan

I used this term to guests with my time at Sea World and Universal. I can't recall if I ever did it back in my Disney's 2011 time frame. It is friendly like saying dear valued guests without the money connotation. It is polite and simple. I always like it.

In a world where the company has moved some major announcements to not to use "Ladies and Gentlemen," you will probably be hearing it more.
I speak acceptable Spanish and calling someone amigo ( friend who don't know Spanish ) is pretty normal .

Goofyernmost

I speak acceptable Spanish and calling someone amigo ( friend who don't know Spanish ) is pretty normal .
It's pretty normal for most everyone that doesn't look for something that they can be upset about. I think it is a side effect of spending to much time in ones mother's basement playing video games. Of all the questionable things that might happen to one in this world being called friend doesn't even show up on the list. It smacks of the often voiced complaint that a CM will ask you if it "is just one" is an insult because you are alone when in reality they are just asking how many people are in line with you and how to place your sorry butt. With all the people they have to deal with each day how could anyone think that they give a tinkers damn about whether or not you're solo. People can be incredibly self absorbed.

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
It's pretty normal for most everyone that doesn't look for something that they can be upset about. I think is is a side effect of spending to much time in ones mother's basement playing video games. Of all the questionable things that might happen to one in this world being called friend doesn't even show up on the list. It smacks of the often voiced complaint that a CM will ask you if it "is just one" is an insult because you are alone when in reality they are just asking how many people are in line with you and how to place your sorry butt. With all the people they have to deal with each day how could anyone think that they give a tinkers damn about whether or not you're solo. People can be incredibly self absorbed.
A friend and I had a related conversation recently... My friend and I are not on the same page politically, or in religious beliefs. But, we are still great friends and we can openly and honestly discuss differences of opinion without being offended. Society today is not like that. Too many people appear to want to be offended, or allow themselves to be easily offended just because someone else has a different opinion. Our theory is that this attitude has been brought about by the widespread usage of various social and electronic media, where people are more vocal about being offended. And, the response has swung so far to the extreme that society seems to think no one should ever be offended and we have to change anything that might possibly cause someone to be offended - real or not.

celluloid

Do you change it Amiga(s) for a female(s)? That is what it should be as it is built into the language Not saying it is worth being offended about. But what the company is doing for the English version of male and female announcements it would seem to be a similar issue.

LittleBuford

And, the response has swung so far to the extreme that society seems to think no one should ever be offended and we have to change anything that might possibly cause someone to be offended - real or not.
I think the drive to be more inclusive is often unfairly maligned as an overly PC avoidance of anything that might be deemed offensive. Such a characterisation, I would argue, misses the point. Recognising that “friends” is more inclusive than “ladies and gentlemen” is not the same as finding the latter objectionable. Being more considerate of others does not equate to pacifying mobs of angry “social justice warriors”.

Shifts in linguistic usage and social customs have been happening for millennia; ours is not the first generation to rethink some of our inherited terminology. The results will be no more catastrophic than when “its” was standardised as a neuter possessive pronoun in the seventeenth century (“his” had served this function traditionally) or when plural/polite “you” replaced singular/intimate “thou” as a way of addressing one person (Star Wars got this wrong in having Darth Vader use the less respectful “thy”, and not “your”, when talking to Palpatine).

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
yes, and it is also common for a group of men and women to be addressed as Amigos, which is masculine, even when women are present. Much the same as common US vernacular of saying "you guys". Latin languages have so much built in that is masculine or feminine... how will they adjust 🤔

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here’s one, the new Electrical Parade intro in Tokyo Disneyland now starts out with “Good evening and welcome one and all”. I don’t care what their agenda is the intro should be grandfathered in by now.
Yeah! They should use, "Misters and Mistresses, Masters and Misses..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom