News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

Kingoglow

This petty argument about DME is now barely tangental to the original topic. How about we get back on track or let the thread die?

GimpYancIent

By your logic, no business pays for anything since they try to get customers to give them money to pay for their expenses.

No company pays rent... insurance... or even their employees... because it's money that came from somewhere else.

Oh wait.. does that me customers don't pay, because it's really money that came from THEIR employer?? Where does it end?

This line of thinking is dumb. The business incurs the expense willingly because they expect revenue to be sufficient. That doesn't mean the customer paid it. Stop this nonsense.
I don't see incurring and satisfying business expenses being characterized as "willingly" but as simply part of doing business. It is an absolute consistent balancing act when it comes to money flow. Ultimately the end user / benefactor of the product or service (yes, the customer's) end up footing the bill.

cranbiz

Which makes perfect sense and is my whole point -- allowing is the key word, and it's not surprising that they have something in place for Bags VIP.

As I've said repeatedly, it's not that it couldn't be done in general. It's that it couldn't be done without Disney's approval. The original comment I responded to suggested any service could do it whenever they wanted without any involvement whatsoever from Disney because "Disney resorts get deliveries". That's simply not true.

A new company couldn't set up shop at the Orlando airport tomorrow and offer bulk luggage delivery to all Disney resorts without Disney signing off on it.
Exactly. And more than likely, wanting a cut from said new company for the privilege of delivering to the resorts.

Chappie is missing the boat on another revenue stream.

el_super

That's not to say it couldn't be done, of course, but some company would not be able to deliver luggage without Disney signing off on the service and allowing that access -- as I said in my original post.

Yeah but that sort of missed the bigger point I was trying to make. Some want to criticize Disney for not spending 'whatever-it-takes' levels of money to keep DME in operation, but then turning around and ignoring that other companies in the same position are also not offering the service.

So why is the expectation here that Disney can just throw boatloads of money at this problem to fix it, versus looking at Mears and saying "well they couldn't for contract reasons..." Except Mears and Bags Inc could absolutely just pile money in front of Disney to keep the service running as well.

Literally I commented on the DME topic to point out that it could have also been contract reasons why Disney was unable to continue the service. It seems like a double standard.

Disstevefan1

Yeah but that sort of missed the bigger point I was trying to make. Some want to criticize Disney for not spending 'whatever-it-takes' levels of money to keep DME in operation, but then turning around and ignoring that other companies in the same position are also not offering the service.

So why is the expectation here that Disney can just throw boatloads of money at this problem to fix it, versus looking at Mears and saying "well they couldn't for contract reasons..." Except Mears and Bags Inc could absolutely just pile money in front of Disney to keep the service running as well.

Literally I commented on the DME topic to point out that it could have also been contract reasons why Disney was unable to continue the service. It seems like a double standard.
It seems to me DME although a GREAT service to their guests, was a pure cost to the company, so I understand they simply removed a cost.

It seems to me it doesn't take much for Disney to stop something that they don't directly charge money for (like Harmonious), but they also close things are profitable but don't make "enough money", boy I miss Disney Quest.

Let's see what happens with the Starcruiser.

Not since Walt was alive did Disney ever spend 'whatever-it-takes' levels of money or throw boatloads of money at this problem to fix it (example The Disneyland Peoplemover)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ultimately the end user / benefactor of the product or service (yes, the customer's) end up footing the bill.

But again… this is a dumb declaration to make. The customer is footing the bill for EVERYTHING the business does if the business is success and not having to run at a loss.

This is an accounting excercise that ultimately businesses decide if they want to spend that way or not. Unless it is a straight pass through (like a sales tax) trying to make this distinction that customers are directly paying for it is dumb. Customers pay for Everything! It’s only a question of how it impacts prices… which customers have no direct control over.

GimpYancIent

B.C. is a despised knuckle dragger, yet the board wants him around because he is a lightning rod. The negativity / blame's strike at him and his cronies and not at the board or any members thereof with the only question being to the board, why do you not fire him? Well Duh! the B.C. money schemes bring in revenue and he gets the blame for dissatisfaction. Win, Win for the board. As expressed, before by another poster things will change "when people stop paying".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
B.C. is a despised knuckle dragger, yet the board wants him around because he is a lightning rod. The negativity / blame's strike at him and his cronies and not at the board or any members thereof with the only question being to the board, why do you not fire him? Well Duh! the B.C. money schemes bring in revenue and he gets the blame for dissatisfaction. Win, Win for the board. As expressed, before by another poster things will change "when people stop paying".
A valid argument

And I don’t think either have any illusions about that.

Chapek stands to make $250,000,000…maybe more…if he just gets bashed for 5 years.

All Disney fans either can’t or don’t want to accept the realities here.

bcoachable

But again… this is a dumb declaration to make. The customer is footing the bill for EVERYTHING the business does if the business is success and not having to run at a loss.

This is an accounting excercise that ultimately businesses decide if they want to spend that way or not. Unless it is a straight pass through (like a sales tax) trying to make this distinction that customers are directly paying for it is dumb. Customers pay for Everything! It’s only a question of how it impacts prices… which customers have no direct control over.
The part that befuddles me, however was the (park) business was based and built its reputation on providing over the top customer service type experiences. So much so, they used to host lectures on “The Disney Way”. Now it would seem that their model has gone the way of the (excuse the IP tie in) Mandalorian - underground… but it seems to be working - parks are as full as ever- so what do I know!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom