News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

el_super

Yes, because it isn’t that hard to figure out that Walt Disney World has parking lots for a reason.

Of course. Absolutely agree. It isn't impossible to think that Disney was right, and that more and more of their guests are taking alternative means to the resort over Magical Express.

UNCgolf

I'm sure the resort receives delivery trucks all day and night and somehow they manage it.

That's not the same thing.

You're suggesting Disney allows any trucks to come in at any time, which is obviously not the case. Disney has contractual agreements with companies making deliveries; they would not have any such agreement with Bags, Inc. (or any other luggage service) in this scenario. They keep relatively tight control on who they allow into their resorts, and whoever was running a luggage service would have to come to an agreement with Disney to gain access.

It's an even bigger issue for resorts with rooms on internal hallways, because it would require either allowing the delivery service access to the interior of the hotel or it would require Disney staff to then take possession of the luggage and deliver it to the rooms, which Disney likely would not do for free.

That's not to say it couldn't be done, of course, but some company would not be able to deliver luggage without Disney signing off on the service and allowing that access -- as I said in my original post.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Chapek participated in a Q&A today at the Paley Center for Media’s International Council Summit in New York - here are a couple paragraphs from the article. More at the linked article below -

Chapek defended new pricing and reservations systems at theme parks developed during Covid while they were shut. They’ve helped manage attendance and improve the guest experience, but also generated some controversy. The old systems were antiquated “and treated everyone as one size fits all… We would wear it as a badge of courage,” he said. “The one thing that was clear is that people do not want to be treated the same,” he said. Some patrons are on a budget, others want a more “bespoke” experience.

He said virtual theme park visits are unlikely, even with the burgeoning metaverse. But some behind the scenes looks are possible. “People like to get off attractions and see exactly how those ghosts in the Haunted Mansion work. [They] say, ‘I want to check that out. It’s usually the reason why rides stop… We can give you that ability, to exit the theme park virtually and figure out what makes that tick.”

Then, when you’re watching Disney+, The Haunted Mansion movie will be served up as your first choice, not buried on page four.”

JMcMahonEsq

Mears currently charges $32 roundtrip. But Disney obviously had their own agreement with them. It doesn’t really matter how much Mears or Bags Inc. charged Disney, it was a service Disney provided to guests and a service that Disney could have continued to offer.
How does that not matter? It was Mears transporting the people and Bags Inc. providing bag service. So Mears decided it wanted to triple or quadruple its rates, that doesn't matter? Or Mears decides it can make more money offering the service on their own for a fee, as opposed to working with Disney, that doesn't matter? Or with the -show that airports have been like over the past 2 years if the baggage handling feels/work (which lets be honest, that's what MADE DME) if the airports/bags inc didn't want to handle the large scale baggage process anymore, that doesn't matter?

TrainsOfDisney

How does that not matter?
You’re grasping here to defend Disney. Not sure why.

The Grand Floridian used to offer a wonderful Mahi Mahi sandwich. They no longer do. that’s a decision Disney made.

To suggest they had an exclusive agreement with a fishmonger who tripled the prices of Mahi and forced them into taking it off the menu is a ridiculous idea but since I can’t prove that didn’t happen I suppose it must be on the table as a possibility.

CAV

This probably wouldn't be possible. I don't think Disney would be on-board with an outside company like Bags, Inc. delivering luggage to their resorts in bulk without Disney's own involvement, if only for security reasons.
TSA allows it.....and you think Disney wouldn't? At Tampa International Airport, passengers can check their bags (with Bags, Inc. )at the rental car center 2 miles from the terminal. Bags Inc, delivers the bags to the airlines.

UNCgolf

TSA allows it.....and you think Disney wouldn't? At Tampa International Airport, passengers can check their bags (with Bags, Inc. )at the rental car center 2 miles from the terminal. Bags Inc, delivers the bags to the airlines.

Again, that's not remotely the same thing. Read my post above.

The luggage itself isn't really the issue, nor does it have anything to do with Disney access. Disney would have to be involved, if only to agree to provide access. It can't be done without Disney's approval.

bcoachable

Disney’s Crystal Palace has stopped offering water on their outside porch for those waiting for their table- I’m guessing the plastic cup company has held Disney hostage by upping the charge for their cups?
Na- decisions are being made purposefully to cut costs - even if it it means less service to you the guest… it’s all about the money now.
(Not that taking a jug of water on a porch is going to save the company much)

zombiebbq

Chapek participated in a Q&A today at the Paley Center for Media’s International Council Summit in New York - here are a couple paragraphs from the article. More at the linked article below -

Chapek defended new pricing and reservations systems at theme parks developed during Covid while they were shut. They’ve helped manage attendance and improve the guest experience, but also generated some controversy. The old systems were antiquated “and treated everyone as one size fits all… We would wear it as a badge of courage,” he said. “The one thing that was clear is that people do not want to be treated the same,” he said. Some patrons are on a budget, others want a more “bespoke” experience.

He said virtual theme park visits are unlikely, even with the burgeoning metaverse. But some behind the scenes looks are possible. “People like to get off attractions and see exactly how those ghosts in the Haunted Mansion work. [They] say, ‘I want to check that out. It’s usually the reason why rides stop… We can give you that ability, to exit the theme park virtually and figure out what makes that tick.”

Then, when you’re watching Disney+, The Haunted Mansion movie will be served up as your first choice, not buried on page four.”

Virtual theme parks are indeed likely, 20-30 years from now. Everyone is thinking way too short term with virtual reality.

How does that not matter? It was Mears transporting the people and Bags Inc. providing bag service. So Mears decided it wanted to triple or quadruple its rates, that doesn't matter? Or Mears decides it can make more money offering the service on their own for a fee, as opposed to working with Disney, that doesn't matter? Or with the -show that airports have been like over the past 2 years if the baggage handling feels/work (which lets be honest, that's what MADE DME) if the airports/bags inc didn't want to handle the large scale baggage process anymore, that doesn't matter?
I'm still wondering why you thought it was appropriate to suggest NJ shore town residents deserve another Sandy. Not really going to listen to a word of your nonsense after comments like that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You are not correct. The cost was borne by the consumer. You probably think businesses pay taxes, too.
By your logic, no business pays for anything since they try to get customers to give them money to pay for their expenses.

No company pays rent... insurance... or even their employees... because it's money that came from somewhere else.

Oh wait.. does that me customers don't pay, because it's really money that came from THEIR employer?? Where does it end?

This line of thinking is dumb. The business incurs the expense willingly because they expect revenue to be sufficient. That doesn't mean the customer paid it. Stop this nonsense.

UNCgolf

Unless it’s been stopped, Disney was allowing Bags VIP deliveries last year.

Which makes perfect sense and is my whole point -- allowing is the key word, and it's not surprising that they have something in place for Bags VIP.

As I've said repeatedly, it's not that it couldn't be done in general. It's that it couldn't be done without Disney's approval. The original comment I responded to suggested any service could do it whenever they wanted without any involvement whatsoever from Disney because "Disney resorts get deliveries". That's simply not true.

A new company couldn't set up shop at the Orlando airport tomorrow and offer bulk luggage delivery to all Disney resorts without Disney signing off on it.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

True, but the convenience is nowhere near what was provided by DME and (for us) airline resort check-in. My family would have been fine if Disney continued to provide that same service and just charged for it.

I wish they’d just made it a paid option also, checking my bags in Vegas and jumping on a bus at MCO, knowing my bags would appear in my room, set WDW apart as special and easier. Now it’s just like traveling anywhere else, nothing special about it at all.

JMcMahonEsq

Virtual theme parks are indeed likely, 20-30 years from now. Everyone is thinking way too short term with virtual reality.

I'm still wondering why you thought it was appropriate to suggest NJ shore town residents deserve another Sandy. Not really going to listen to a word of your nonsense after comments like that.
Because most jersey shore towns are filled with jersey shore people. Sadly mtv was not exaggerating with the cast of that show, it just really is that bad

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom