News Disney CEO Bob Chapek hails the metaverse as 'the next great storytelling frontier' and sets up a new team at Disney to create new experiences

Minnesota disney fan

Well, I'll bite! I really didn't know what metaverse is??? But I get from reading this that it VR with headsets??
I still don't understand it all anyway.
What has become of putting money back into the parks? They certainly need maintenance and upkeep, with expansion of attractions. They should take care of what they have and what made Disney well Disney! rant over.

Lilofan

This guy is clown and so out of touch with his customer base. People go to Disney to escape from the metaverse and the chaos
of normal life. He needs to learn about storytelling in his parks.
Digital world connected to the real world aka - meta universe . Many opportunities and money to be made.

Lilofan

I would assume Facebook is probably seeding this venture somehow. Zuck needs massive companies to come on board in order to manifest it into actually being something consumers want.
Billionaire Zuck and TWDC since last year already have been discussing Disney's entry into Meta Universe and how this new venture will move the company forward.

DisnEdely

Take this YouTube video for a example of current VR. The meta universe will take this to the next level. Basically allowing you via an avatar to experience the realm by entering it in 3D and eventually 4D. Once you have an avatar you can buy NFT's to change your avatars style, appearance, powers, etc.

Think of it as a endless digital landscape that you will be able to virtually experience.

Cool video:

Another way to get an understanding of the potential is to watch the Bruce Willis movie, "Surrogates"

Basil of Baker Street

Metaverse is such an incredibly stupid idea that I bought some metaverse centered crypto about 6 months ago because people are incredibly stupid. Hope it works out for me.

rio

I don’t understand why this is so controversial. People go to DW to escape from reality, why wouldn’t they go to the Disney meta verse for the same thing?

This could also be a really effective way to extend the park experience well outside the park’s boundaries. Imagine being able to go and enjoy more fireworks, or explore the Haunted Mansion’s rooms on your own. See the end result of the future Epcot and Animal Kingdom strive to show you, or step into the world of Epic Mickey/Runaway Railway again!

rio

I’ve separated this out because it’s a separate thought-the meta verse isn’t supposed to be a virtual reality, but closer to AR- Imposing an overlay onto the REAL world. Think personalized ads for you when you walk down Times Square, auditory instructions for directions while walking, seeing a couch in your living room before you buy it, and more. Personally I’m not ok with any marketing or data mining company doing actually implementing the meta verse.

what they’re describing is virtual reality, where you enter a virtual world. This is fine for escapism, and what they’re actually talking about. While connected, it’s still a separate experience partially disconnected from reality.

VJ

I don’t understand why this is so controversial. People go to DW to escape from reality, why wouldn’t they go to the Disney meta verse for the same thing?

This could also be a really effective way to extend the park experience well outside the park’s boundaries. Imagine being able to go and enjoy more fireworks, or explore the Haunted Mansion’s rooms on your own. See the end result of the future Epcot and Animal Kingdom strive to show you, or step into the world of Epic Mickey/Runaway Railway again!
Imagine being able to charge $200 per day to experience it.

I can see the money signs in Chapek and D'Amaro's eyes now.

zombiebbq

It would be so cool to have a metaverse park to go to. Everyone seems to hate on the entire concept (the metaverse that is), but to me it seems a natural progression of technology and I look forward to immersive VR in the coming years. It makes perfect sense that Disney would be involved, because as this takes off... everyone will be.

Figments Friend

If they insist on going in this 'virtual reality' direction, at least make it a worthwhile effort -

Build a 'meta universe' VR original EPCOT Center.
Now THERE is a place people would want to visit....virtually.....again.

Oh , or how about this -
Spend that meta-money on actually 'fixing' today's Epcot instead?
Surely there is enough on hand to do it the right way....

-

MrPromey

Whoa BABY - time to party like it's 1985!

VPL-research-vr-testing.jpg

Last edited:

MrPromey

Well, I'll bite! I really didn't know what metaverse is??? But I get from reading this that it VR with headsets??
I still don't understand it all anyway.
What has become of putting money back into the parks? They certainly need maintenance and upkeep, with expansion of attractions. They should take care of what they have and what made Disney well Disney! rant over.

Don't feel too bad - neither does Bob or the head of McDonald's. For most executives, it's a case of the Emperor's new clothes.

The only reason anyone is talking about the Metaverse outside of Roblox, Fortnite, and Ready Player One fan fiction circles is because Mark Zuckerberg up and changed the name of his company in an effort to deflect attention from very public releases of internal information on how Facebook knows it is slowly destroying actual reality the world over - hence their sudden heavy push on an attempt to get their claws in and brand a virtual reality. 😏

Anyway, all this attention as a result makes the public think this is some new big thing just around the corner when the truth is, it's been "just around the corner" for decades and this isn't the first time to see it (likely) over-hyped.

Maybe the time for VR tech has finally come for more causal widespread use but it's not new and it isn't like all of a sudden, the world is about to turn on a dime because of it, despite what people selling dreams to Wall Street would have us all believe.

Disney's going to make some new VR games and experiences?* Great but enough with the "metaverse" bs. 🙄

*Experiences here being the same thing they are in the parks - something not complete enough to be called a game (or ride or attraction) so it's an "experience" similar to the way a Snapchat filter might be called an "experience" - something that only entertains you for a couple of minutes and that you'll likely have little desire to mess with more than once.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Don't feel too bad - neither does Bob or the head of McDonald's. For most executives, it's a case of the Emperor's new clothes.

The only reason anyone is talking about the Metaverse outside of Roblox, Fortnite, and Ready Player One fan fiction circles is because Mark Zuckerberg up and changed the name of his company in an effort to deflect public attention from very public releases of internal information on how Facebook knows it is slowly destroying actual reality the world over - hence their sudden heavy push on an attempt to get their claws in and brand virtual reality. 😏
I guess we forgot about DisneyVision shown in this snippet from @marni1971 Innoventions tribute..And what that became later on in life at Disneyquest

MrPromey

I guess we forgot about DisneyVision shown in this snippet from @marni1971 Innoventions tribute..And what that became later on in life at Disneyquest

This all just goes to how little people understand any of it.

In a meeting last week, I had a leader talk about how he "spent some time in the metaverse" over the weekend "riding a roller coaster and playing some games". Because people understand so little about what it is supposed to be (something that as of yet, doesn't even exist the way Zuckerberg or anyone else in tech describes it), they think any experience with a headset counts.

As of now, it is nothing more than a buzz-word for "we are cutting edge".

Last edited:

MrPromey

Also, I remember waiting over an hour (back when that was a long time for most stuff in Disney parks) to do this in Inventions:

post-181-0-33044200-1438208918.jpg

The amazing game involved trying to carry an egg from one place to another while shooting the eggs out of other players hands and trying to not let them shoot yours out. 🙄

I guarantee I did not look as cool as this person doing it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom