News Disney CEO Bob Chapek hails the metaverse as 'the next great storytelling frontier' and sets up a new team at Disney to create new experiences

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Social media to access information is a heck of a lot easier than going to your local library and researching items on microfilm ( if one is old enough to remember ).
That is fine. But that is separate from the social media problems I am referencing.

mightynine

I would assume Facebook is probably seeding this venture somehow. Zuck needs massive companies to come on board in order to manifest it into actually being something consumers want.
Well, there's the Metaverse, which Zuck sure hopes makes it big since it would be his new walled garden, and the metaverse, which is becoming the catch-all term for these VR experiences. You could, IMO, even argue things like Roblox, Minecraft, Fortnite, Second Life, etc. are all the metaverse right now.

The problem these companies have is - who the hell wants this? Which has been the question VR has been trying to answer for decades. ETA: I should clarify when I say this, I mean virtual reality experiences with the headset and the whole nine yards. The examples I've given above clearly show a demand for those experiences.

Yes, the tech has never been more easily available, and I've even tried it and thought it was interesting, but there's yet to be a "killer app" that makes it desirable to all. And right now, the idea of having to go through a virtual grocery store to buy milk is not an improvement over pulling out my phone and making a few taps to order a gallon.

Last edited:

Poseidon Quest

I'm annoyed to hear this news, but not concerned.

The Metaverse doesn't seem like a product that most consumers really want, and as many have pointed out on the Internet already, plenty of experiments like these have already failed. I can't see how Meta could differentiate in any substantial way that would make it anything other than a niche market. I understand so many large companies investing in it because they don't want to be behind on a new potential major platform... but the potential just isn't there, so the investments aren't really a sign of anything.

Putting on a VR headset is terrible after a few hours, and the disconnect from reality isn't as desirable as dystopian films make it out to be. In conjunction with a growing public awareness of how harmful social media and especially Facebook is, I'm skeptical that Meta can even begin to see any sort of success. Disney appears to be attempting to diversify their business, but it seems like folly. First neighborhoods and now this? It's like the Eisner era, but without the fun.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Next up on the "Bad Ideas Disney is Announcing" train - DisneyCoin+

I mean, if your whole company's strategy is to latch onto bad trends, you may as well go all-in, right?

"DisneyCoin+ is a unique cryptocurrency that will allow consumers greater immersive Disney storytelling experiences than ever before!"
Usable only in select Disney theme park locations.

I'm sure DisneyNFT+ is just a conference call away.

Ayla

I mean, if your whole company's strategy is to latch onto bad trends, you may as well go all-in, right?

"DisneyCoin+ is a unique cryptocurrency that will allow consumers greater immersive Disney storytelling experiences than ever before!"

You may be right. Disney is all in on sports betting, crypto can't be that far away.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You may be right. Disney is all in on sports betting, crypto can't be that far away.

Quite possibly the dumbest scam foisted on the world in the past 20 years - Cryptocurrency. Give your money away for something that doesn't physically exist, and hope to sell it to the next sucker for more than you paid for it. Bob's tenure as a Disney executive is trying to give it run for its "money", though...

Animaniac93-98

I think between this and the real estate development, Bob is overcompensating after years of being dismissed by the press and investors.

He wants to be seen as the big thinker who will leverage technological breakthroughs and grow the company's portfolio.

But he's too out of touch with his core product to make any of this stuff work.

JoeCamel

I think between this and the real estate development, Bob is overcompensating after years of being dismissed by the press and investors.

He wants to be seen as the big thinker who will leverage technological breakthroughs and grow the company's portfolio.

But he's too out of touch with his core product to make any of this stuff work.
I think he decided he couldn't wait for D23 to improve his brand, he is up for renewal in a year. I'll give him much of his tenure has been overshadowed by Bob the first and covid but he has to produce more than "record park quarter" to show this company has a future. The D+ subscriber win is a plus but numbers don't tell the whole story and wall street is listening.
As to the slant and quality of the offerings I leave that to public opinion to decide.

aladdin2007

I can't wait to spend $10K on a virtual vacation. Sounds like a great idea. :banghead: What an idiot!

There has not been much that I have liked about Chappie and I am really getting to the point that this guy just has to go!!!

Ditto, all of this is concerning. I wish he lived in Disneys Fantasyland and not his own messed up one. Honestly I feel like every time he talks about something like this or releases any kind of statement, its putting him one step closer out the door. Lets hope.

Minthorne

Finally relevant
1645040450382.png

Nottamus

You think this is going to replace going to the parks?
VR is fun but it could never replace the real world.
Not for me no.

what I was thinking, is Disney already has you using your phone for certain things, why not say- be in SWGE and have some special event that requires a VR headset to enjoy - for a fee.

monetizing tech is where I was headed!

won’t see me there.

Diamond Dot

Social media to access information is a heck of a lot easier than going to your local library and researching items on microfilm ( if one is old enough to remember ).
You don't need to be on social media to access information and to be honest, social media is the worst place to go and access information.

PhilharMagician

No, no, no do not go there!! He doesn't need anymore ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom