Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

G00fyDad

Back to the broader topic in the thread name, did anyone see that Entertainment Weekly this week is dedicated to the future of Star Wars, given the Disney purchase and the declaration of the new movies coming? They give a good bit of real estate in the magazine to it, and the cover is great.

(By the way, they used only the original trilogy characters in the cover collage -- with one strange choice: they included Boba Fett but not Chewbacca.)

Because Chewie is dead. Dobido smashed into him. :D

Okay, sorry, that is the last of the EU canon non-canon stuff from me. ;)

Beholder

Canon, not canon, EU, first trilogy, second and soon to be third trilogy, it's all just entertainment. My personal perspective is if I enjoy it, then great. If it doesn't happen to fall into Lucas' master plan, then fine. Reading EU stuff isn't a waste of time if it's time enjoyed. I haven't read much EU, but what I have read was, for the most part, better than episode 1 & 2. They can exist in two different "universes" for me, since none of it's real anyway.

Oh, I hope they make some really cool Star Wars attractions in the domestic parks.

Crazy Harry

Yes, I understand that. But do not consider the EU to not be of any importance or canon. Lucas wouldn't have allowed them to continue if they weren't. And if they do split the continuity up with diverging timelines or alternate realities then yes, it most certainly is the same thing as in the comics. You're arguing semantics with which came first, he original works or EU.

You are making subjective assumptions not based on available facts.

As had been said, Lucas allowed the EU to continue for marketing, money, and probally because he thought he was done with Star Wars movies anyway.

The canon of Star Wars is what Lucas says it is and ultimately what Lucas himself puts together. The EU authors devised their story lines. What Lucas outlined 20 years ago will not match EU. Lucas is the creator of Star Wars, not the EU authors, so it is important.

It seems you have an affection for the EU, but that alone does not make it canon.

You are the only one saying something about diverging storylines and alternate realites in Star Wars, no one else. If the story of the new movies differ form the EU, why is this proof of 'alternate realities'. The reason the EU will not match with the movies is because they were never the real story in the first place. The real story is in an outline at Lucas's house, and now in a 50 page story treatment. If Lucas knew he was going to make 7, 8, and 9, he would not have authorized the books of the EU, unless it took place after the movies or in between. EU is a place holder.

Semantics is about words. What I am arguing is about situations and scenarios. When the material came to be and the basis of it is relevant. That is like saying continuity in movies and tv shows does not matter because soap operas hack up continuity on a regular basis. Let's bring back Darth Vader. That wasn't he who died, it was his evil twin Garth Vader. And Anakin was never really Luke's father, it was Obi Wan and they have a secret paternity test to prove it. After all, its all the same. Or that is like saying that the Hunger Games book should have been more accurate to the movie, even though the book came first. Order is important. Ask any fan of Hunger Games about details from the story and you will likely get a variety of answers of details form the book that weren't in the movie which the fans will hold greater importance to. Why, because the books came first and were written by the original author, and fashioned for the medium in which they were originally presented, just as Star Wars was fashioned more for movies than books.

Comics have hundreds and hundred of issues for one character or group, and maybe a handful of movies. You can't help but change some things to accomadate the medium. But when another author makes up a storyline deviating from the story of the original creator, whatever the original creator decided is ultametly more important.

You want these things to be the same only to prove your point.

Crazy Harry

That's technically not true. The novelization of Episode 4 came out six month's before the movie did. Which contains many differences.

Ok, if we are going to get that specific I have a few questions. First, who wrote the novelization and what was it based on? And do you consider novelizations to be EU even though books will virtually always have details not in movies to accomodate the story telling medium?

flynnibus

Premium Member
If Lucas knew he was going to make 7, 8, and 9, he would not have authorized the books of the EU, unless it took place after the movies or in between

Yet he allowed EU stores before OT when he had thoughts about the time before OT right from the get go. You guys continue to argue singularity - when in Lucasfilm's own methodology, there is not singularity but hierarchy. Licensed properties are allowed and tracked - they are authorized by Lucasfilm. They just hold the right to not be bound by them.. as Lucas sees his stories as separate from theirs. A power you can weld when you are emperor yourself and get to write the rulebook.

Beholder

Source material, in this case, the original Star Wars movies, will/should be held as the final authority of "canon". The books, cartoons, and perhaps even following movies are an extension/interpretation of the original. What follows will use the intent, spirit, feel, and whatever unique laws of physics it employs, but may not adhere strictly to the "letter of the law", if you will. As I've mentioned, I have no problem separating the two, but that's my take on it.

@flynnibus, I have felt the temptation to give in to my inner "rabid fan", but age and common sense plays a part now days. But, what's the fun in not forcing, I mean sharing an opinion?

flynnibus

Premium Member
@flynnibus, I have felt the temptation to give in to my inner "rabid fan", but age and common sense plays a part now days. But, what's the fun in not forcing, I mean sharing an opinion?

:) I agree with your eariler post... if I find the movie enjoyable and isn't flagarently conflicting with the Lucas films.. I don't care about the EU. I'm a fan of Star Wars - not a student of it. I like Star Wars because as a kid I enjoyed it and the original toys.

And as an adult.. I still enjoy my star wars like this...

DSC_5118-L.jpg

:)

cba

:) I agree with your eariler post... if I find the movie enjoyable and isn't flagarently conflicting with the Lucas films.. I don't care about the EU. I'm a fan of Star Wars - not a student of it. I like Star Wars because as a kid I enjoyed it and the original toys.

DSC_5118-L.jpg

Love the lego Death Star! The only thing that would make it better is if were real...

Beholder

@ Flynnibus. I too like Broads, Boo.., um, Dearhstars. I love the Super Star Destroyer, but neither my wallet nor my back is willing to make the jump. One day perhaps. Looks good!

flynnibus

Premium Member
@ Flynnibus. I too like Broads, Boo.., um, Dearhstars. I love the Super Star Destroyer, but neither my wallet nor my back is willing to make the jump. One day perhaps. Looks good!

I finally pulled the trigger this year after years of passing over lego kits. The problem is once they NLA - their price goes through the roof! So if you want it, you gotta buy it.. don't put it off forever. And BTW, yes, it is the most awesome lego experience ever :)

Beholder

I finally pulled the trigger this year after years of passing over lego kits. The problem is once they NLA - their price goes through the roof! So if you want it, you gotta buy it.. don't put it off forever. And BTW, yes, it is the most awesome lego experience ever :)

That's what I hear. Looking at older Star Destroyer kits and nearly fell over! You're right, it you want it, no better time than now. May try smaller, x-wing or something similar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

DSC_5118-L.jpg

Ok, you get major Star Wars geek cred for having the Lego Death Star! :)

G00fyDad

You are making subjective assumptions not based on available facts.

As had been said, Lucas allowed the EU to continue for marketing, money, and probally because he thought he was done with Star Wars movies anyway.

The canon of Star Wars is what Lucas says it is and ultimately what Lucas himself puts together. The EU authors devised their story lines. What Lucas outlined 20 years ago will not match EU. Lucas is the creator of Star Wars, not the EU authors, so it is important.

It seems you have an affection for the EU, but that alone does not make it canon.

You are the only one saying something about diverging storylines and alternate realites in Star Wars, no one else. If the story of the new movies differ form the EU, why is this proof of 'alternate realities'. The reason the EU will not match with the movies is because they were never the real story in the first place. The real story is in an outline at Lucas's house, and now in a 50 page story treatment. If Lucas knew he was going to make 7, 8, and 9, he would not have authorized the books of the EU, unless it took place after the movies or in between. EU is a place holder.

Semantics is about words. What I am arguing is about situations and scenarios. When the material came to be and the basis of it is relevant. That is like saying continuity in movies and tv shows does not matter because soap operas hack up continuity on a regular basis. Let's bring back Darth Vader. That wasn't he who died, it was his evil twin Garth Vader. And Anakin was never really Luke's father, it was Obi Wan and they have a secret paternity test to prove it. After all, its all the same. Or that is like saying that the Hunger Games book should have been more accurate to the movie, even though the book came first. Order is important. Ask any fan of Hunger Games about details from the story and you will likely get a variety of answers of details form the book that weren't in the movie which the fans will hold greater importance to. Why, because the books came first and were written by the original author, and fashioned for the medium in which they were originally presented, just as Star Wars was fashioned more for movies than books.

Comics have hundreds and hundred of issues for one character or group, and maybe a handful of movies. You can't help but change some things to accomadate the medium. But when another author makes up a storyline deviating from the story of the original creator, whatever the original creator decided is ultametly more important.

You want these things to be the same only to prove your point.

Wow, nice and long tangent. Kind of passionate aren't ya? Did some Ewok steal your speeder? And I don't believe I ever said that the original creation was not important. Yikes. Put away the nerd alarm and calm down. I have this vision of you standing at your desk frothing at the mouth over this. You do realize that Star Wars is not real right?

Crazy Harry

Wow, nice and long tangent. Kind of passionate aren't ya? Did some Ewok steal your speeder? And I don't believe I ever said that the original creation was not important. Yikes. Put away the nerd alarm and calm down. I have this vision of you standing at your desk frothing at the mouth over this. You do realize that Star Wars is not real right?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when you lose an argument, and don't do it gracefully.

And how many posts have you made about canon, EU, 'divergent storylines'? Kind of throwing stones in glass houses aren't we? Here’s another example:

As expected. No real answer so you resort to childish tactics. Okay, I'm game, nanny nanny boo boo.
Reference original quote.

I dicussed the topic to the degree nessisary to prove my point. I'll consider that point taken.

I never said you claimed that the OT wasn’t important, but you did say that the original and EU are of equal importance and that it made no difference which came first which I clearly illustrated why this is inaccurate.

Yes, I understand that. But do not consider the EU to not be of any importance or canon. Lucas wouldn't have allowed them to continue if they weren't. And if they do split the continuity up with diverging timelines or alternate realities then yes, it most certainly is the same thing as in the comics. You're arguing semantics with which came first, he original works or EU.

Wow, you have more contradictions than a starburst commercial.:p

G00fyDad

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when you lose an argument, and don't do it gracefully.

No. Learn to tell when someone has gotten so tired of trying to explain themselves to a child that is intent on ignoring them. I'm done trying to dumb things down for you. You are like an annoying kid that just refuses to admit that they are wrong and keeps arguing a non-existent point. We're done here, but you go ahead and keep saying that I've lost an argument. I have better things to do in my life than to keep this God awful crap up with a kid.

Remember, you're arguing about something that many people do not even give a crap about. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom