Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

M.rudolf

I don't understand why you guys keep going back and forth on canon. It's defined and established how Lucas treats it and how lucasfilm licensing treats it. Your arguing opinions about something that is already defined factually. If you don't know how it works, just read the Star Wars pages linked here a week ago already
I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm agreeing with Flynn

G00fyDad

But Star Wars is not Marvel Comics. Big difference. Most notedly, the Star Wars movies came before the EU, not the other way around. The EU is essentially liscensed fan fiction. Well done, interesting stories, but they preceed the source material and are not created by the original creator, making those stories inferior and less relevant to the movies.

You will understand better when the new movies come out and don't match at all with EU. Remember, Lucas wrote the outlines for 7,8, and 9, probally ten years before the majority of the EU was ever conceived.

So its not Lucas borrowing from other authors and adding his own touches like they do with marvel films. Not to mention that the story telling of Star Wars is more realistic, linear, and concrete. Comics have varied timelines, realities, human heros that don't age for 50 years, things like that. So you are attempting to compare unequal things.

While the EU can be considered separate canon if you will, the movies have always been the primary canon as decided by its creator and acknowleged by most fans.

Yes, I understand that. But do not consider the EU to not be of any importance or canon. Lucas wouldn't have allowed them to continue if they weren't. And if they do split the continuity up with diverging timelines or alternate realities then yes, it most certainly is the same thing as in the comics. You're arguing semantics with which came first, he original works or EU.

M.rudolf

Yes, I understand that. But do not consider the EU to not be of any importance or canon. Lucas wouldn't have allowed them to continue if they weren't. And if they do split the continuity up with diverging timelines or alternate realities then yes, it most certainly is the same thing as in the comics. You're arguing semantics with which came first, he original works or EU.
Lucas would allow them to continue because it brought in money, nothing more nothing less

M.rudolf

And that invalidates the idea because.....?
Your whole argument makes absolutely no sense, the whole post reads like a person who doesn't understand how to post with purpose or if he's having an inner conflict with himself. I don't have to invalidate the post you've done it yourself

disney fan 13

But Star Wars is not Marvel Comics. Big difference. Most notedly, the Star Wars movies came before the EU, not the other way around. The EU is essentially liscensed fan fiction. Well done, interesting stories, but they preceed the source material and are not created by the original creator, making those stories inferior and less relevant to the movies.

You will understand better when the new movies come out and don't match at all with EU. Remember, Lucas wrote the outlines for 7,8, and 9, probally ten years before the majority of the EU was ever conceived.

So its not Lucas borrowing from other authors and adding his own touches like they do with marvel films. Not to mention that the story telling of Star Wars is more realistic, linear, and concrete. Comics have varied timelines, realities, human heros that don't age for 50 years, things like that. So you are attempting to compare unequal things.

While the EU can be considered separate canon if you will, the movies have always been the primary canon as decided by its creator and acknowleged by most fans.

That's technically not true. The novelization of Episode 4 came out six month's before the movie did. Which contains many differences.

G00fyDad

Your whole argument makes absolutely no sense, the whole post reads like a person who doesn't understand how to post with purpose or if he's having an inner conflict with himself. I don't have to invalidate the post you've done it yourself

As expected. No real answer so you resort to childish tactics. Okay, I'm game, nanny nanny boo boo. :rolleyes:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Please would you enlighten me on what you would like to discuss?

How about... the actual aquistion or related topics. There are already other threads dedicated to EP VII discussion

I'd say it fit's fine under the thread title "Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA"

What does the next director of a film or the plot of a future film have to do with the acquisition?

This tangent should have been moved a long time ago...

G00fyDad

Dude I come with glad tidings. I'm not saying it isn't a worthwhile discussion at all i just think it has reached its peak in this thread that's all

Don't worry. I've said all I have to say on the subject now. After all, how can I win against such might, such leadership, such knowledge that he brings to the table. We are all inferior in the presence of the great and powerful movie writer, Disney exec, and soothsayer.

M.rudolf

As expected. No real answer so you resort to childish tactics. Okay, I'm game, nanny nanny boo boo. :rolleyes:
Pardon me I haven't resort to anything if you had posted coherently I would gladly answer, the problem is the original post was full of double talk but if you'd like I'll pick it off piece by piece.

prberk

Back to the broader topic in the thread name, did anyone see that Entertainment Weekly this week is dedicated to the future of Star Wars, given the Disney purchase and the declaration of the new movies coming? They give a good bit of real estate in the magazine to it, and the cover is great.

(By the way, they used only the original trilogy characters in the cover collage -- with one strange choice: they included Boba Fett but not Chewbacca.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom