Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

M.rudolf

Unless he's said more on the subject, this isn't a 'no' :

"I have very little to say about it," says Trevorrow. "Certainly, no specifics about what's going on behind the scenes in the selection of that person [a director]. I think that I can speak as a Star Wars fan, which is important to me. Whoever does do this movie, I think, just needs to have a fundamental understanding of why it's important to us. We come from a generation who grew up with this as children, to us it's almost a belief system. It's harder for people who are older or who were already teenagers when the movie came out to understand how deeply it is our mythology. And there are a bunch of incredible directors who are up for this job… I think whoever gets it will have that fundamental understanding of why Star Wars matters so much to a billion people. It's just incredible. So that’s all I can say about that. I’m equally excited about it. … that’s all you’re gonna get!"
If it happens,it happens. But the last time I checked he had taken his name off the list.

FrankLapidus

I'm hoping that it won't be Favreau, I've never really been a fan of his. I thought he had a great opportunity to create something unique out of the Cowboys & Aliens concept and failed; I thought it was the most disappointing film of last year considering the potential I thought it had to be a really fun film. I like Trevorrow but my favourite is still Vaughn. I know it has been said that he dropped out of the new X-Men film to work on something else but as far as I know he hasn't ruled himself out of the Star Wars running publicly so I hope that's still a possibility and does come off.

Crazy Harry

That still doesn't mean that EU is no longer canon. They may go in a totally different direction than any of the books. Of course they may use many of the older characters and retcon a lot of the material. No one knows yet.

If the movies are canon, and they are deviating, even in part, from the storylines in the EU for episode 7, then it does mean EU is no longer canon.

The only other options are that they are both canon even though they contradict each other, or the movies are not canon, and you can't make a case for either (or should I say a good case).

G00fyDad

If the movies are canon, and they are deviating, even in part, from the storylines in the EU for episode 7, then it does mean they are no longer canon.

The only other options are that they are both canon even though they contradict each other, or the movies are not canon, and you can't make a case for either (or should I say a good case).

You ever read comic books as a kid?

Maerj

And Lucasfilm stated a long time ago that the books and comics are canon unless one of the movies state something else. The films will always be the primary canon, everything else is secondary. If the films contradict a book or comic, only the filmed version actually happened. Its really not worth getting upset about. You just have to enjoy things for what they are.

HMF

This is what I am afraid of. I don't want Star Wars to become like the comic book universes where there are several hundred different continuities. To many Star Wars fans, characters and events in the EU are as dear to us as the film characters and events. Rest assured if the new films contradict the EU too much, I will be giving up on the franchise and I will want most of the years of my life back,Plus all the money I put into the franchise

G00fyDad

This is what I am afraid of. I don't want Star Wars to become like the comic book universes where there are several hundred different continuities. To many Star Wars fans, characters and events in the EU are as dear to us as the film characters and events. Rest assured if the new films contradict the EU too much, I will be giving up on the franchise and I will want most of the years of my life back,Plus all the money I put into the franchise

I get that you don't want this EU to become like that of the comic industry, but when you get a product that is this well known, loved, and re-told, you are going to have instances where things do not always match up. We already have those, but thankfully there aren't many. If it gets too skewed from the EU then alternate timelines, universes, etc. will come into play.

HMF

I get that you don't want this EU to become like that of the comic industry, but when you get a product that is this well known, loved, and re-told, you are going to have instances where things do not always match up. We already have those, but thankfully there aren't many. If it gets too skewed from the EU then alternate timelines, universes, etc. will come into play.
Then I want a good chunk of my life back.

culturenthrills

I really hope it is not Fav. I would be fine with Rupert or Neil. I think Neil would be awesome. District 9 is an amazing film and the man knows how to use what he has to work with well and I think the universe would have a more lived in feel that the original trilogy had that was missing from the prequels.

disney fan 13

Join the club.

Crazy Harry

But Star Wars is not Marvel Comics. Big difference. Most notedly, the Star Wars movies came before the EU, not the other way around. The EU is essentially liscensed fan fiction. Well done, interesting stories, but they preceed the source material and are not created by the original creator, making those stories inferior and less relevant to the movies.

You will understand better when the new movies come out and don't match at all with EU. Remember, Lucas wrote the outlines for 7,8, and 9, probally ten years before the majority of the EU was ever conceived.

So its not Lucas borrowing from other authors and adding his own touches like they do with marvel films. Not to mention that the story telling of Star Wars is more realistic, linear, and concrete. Comics have varied timelines, realities, human heros that don't age for 50 years, things like that. So you are attempting to compare unequal things.

While the EU can be considered separate canon if you will, the movies have always been the primary canon as decided by its creator and acknowleged by most fans.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't understand why you guys keep going back and forth on canon. It's defined and established how Lucas treats it and how lucasfilm licensing treats it. Your arguing opinions about something that is already defined factually. If you don't know how it works, just read the Star Wars pages linked here a week ago already

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom