Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

MerlinTheGoat

Another person with "insider information"?? LOL Whatever.
You asked, there's your answer. If you don't like the answer then that's your decision. A number of other well known and trusted insiders have backed many of his statements up in recent months (especially involving the DHS makeover, though there's some speculation as to whether an Indy ride will ever happen and that's a long way off anyways). Everyone will know whether or not anything he says is true soon anyways, much sooner than 2015's new Star Wars movie because he has made bold short-term predictions that will soon determine his trustworthiness (such as Carsland breaking ground very soon apparently).

G00fyDad

You asked, there's your answer. If you don't like the answer then that's your decision. A number of other well known and trusted insiders have backed many of his statements up in recent months (especially involving the DHS makeover). Everyone will know whether or not anything he says is true soon anyways, much sooner than 2015's new Star Wars movie because he has made bold short-term predictions that will soon determine his trustworthiness (such as Carsland breaking ground very soon apparently).

LOL Yep, that was the answer alright. LOL

I'm not saying he doesn't have inside knowledge on the Disney parks, but to say that he is sooooo high up on the Disney ladder that he has seen a script that has yet to be written, on a deal that has yet to be fully finalized is a stretch.

Spike-in-Berlin

He probably has seen a script, or at least head what the intended story will be (which likely contradicts the EU). M.rudolf apparently has insider information on the Disney company (so then by extent, Lucasfilm).

I was under the impression the EU wasn't canon from the start. I mean I've heard elements of it made it into the prequels and such (like planets or characters), but the stories themselves might not actually occur. I've never read any of the stories myself but i've looked up some of them (though I guess the Knights of the Old Republic and Force Unleashed video games count as EU and i've played those). The fanbase apparently are pretty divided about whether to accept them as canon or not. Many believe "if it didn't happen in the movies, it didn't happen at all". If this new series does contradict the EU in a huge way, then yeah the EU would be knocked off the canon.

Though it does seem that some of the EU material might actually inspire some of the canon material. I wonder to what extent though. From what M.rudolf has indicated, current story plans might include a clone (or clones) of the emperor. The emperor has apparently had a number of clones in the EU. If that happens then I hope they get someone awesome to play him, Ian McDiarmid always managed to steal the show and I couldn't take my eyes off of him whenever he was onscreen. If he's going to get a clone though i'd probably guess they'll end up getting a younger actor to play him. I'd imagine one of the points of a clone would be not being tethered to an aging body. I don't know what younger actor they could get to pull the role of youthful Palpatine off, but it would at least be interesting to see them try (if Ian himself didn't return).

Are any characters introduced in the EU going to appear at all such as Mara Jade, Anakin Solo, Jaina and Jacen, etc? Or are they all now completely non-canon?

They are all non-canon as they were never a part of any movie and I think it is highly unlikely that any of them will be in Episode VII. Lucas and the EU storylines were always completely different things. For example I believe that no one knew until AOTC that the clones would be soldiers of the REPUBLIC! It's quite clear that Zahn for example in the "Heir to the Empire"-trilogy (and about everyone else) thought that the clones would be the enemies of the Old Republic and responsible for her downfall. Just like Alan Dean Foster wrote Splinter of the Minds Eye (The first EU novel which some fans still consider relevant although the entire storyline is absolutely ridiculous after TESB came into the movies) without any idea that Vader is Lukes father. Lucas never cared about the storylines of the EU and I am quite sure there will be no major characters or plot elements in Episode VII from the EU, it would be a first, if it would.
And I have to confess, as a Non-EU Star Wars fan, I would be very glad about that.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

I'm not saying he doesn't have inside knowledge on the Disney parks, but to say that he is sooooo high up on the Disney ladder that he has seen a script that has yet to be written, on a deal that has yet to be fully finalized is a stretch.

I don't buy the fact that the script has yet to be written. For a large blockbuster movie premiering in just over 2 years, this thing has to be well under way. Arndt has already said he has a full 40-50 page treatment of the story, and I'd be highly surprised if he is truly currently working on the script now, and it's not in the bag already. Even so, lets say the script does not exist. The treatment does, and that would have plenty of details like this in it.

MerlinTheGoat

We've known Lucas has been planning a new trilogy for a very long time, and as of last year he was finally going to actually go through with those plans. He even discussed it with some of the original Trilogy actors such as Mark Hamill. They've also hired a writer and are either working on a script now or else have already finalized the basic concept. It's very probably that they at least know the basics of how the story will play out. It's not surprising that someone with inside connections within the company would know something about early drafts. No one can say what their connections may or may not be.

Besides perhaps using some minor creative elements from the EU (like clones of the emperor and such), it's very likely they are going to end up rendering the EU non-canon. I'm willing to guess they'll probably want the story to be a surprise to the fans, otherwise the plot of the sequels will be spoiled by the EU stories. I can understand that if that's what they're thinking.

SirLink

Trust M.Rudolf - plus there aren't any 'scripts' but treatments of the next trilogy are already done. And its not that M.Rudolf may or may not be high up the ladder but depends on where his sources are/are not in a position to see/tell people about treatments/scripts.

Put it this way if they want a movie out in 2015 - they gotta be fast. Plus no indication that anything will fall through on finalising this deal ...

Spike-in-Berlin

We've known Lucas has been planning a new trilogy for a very long time, and as of last year he was finally going to actually go through with those plans. He even discussed it with some of the original Trilogy actors such as Mark Hamill. They've also hired a writer and are either working on a script now or else have already finalized the basic concept. It's very probably that they at least know the basics of how the story will play out. It's not surprising that someone with inside connections within the company would know something about early drafts. No one can say what their connections may or may not be.

Besides perhaps using some minor creative elements from the EU (like clones of the emperor and such), it's very likely they are going to end up rendering the EU non-canon. I'm willing to guess they'll probably want the story to be a surprise to the fans, otherwise the plot of the sequels will be spoiled by the EU stories. I can understand that if that's what they're thinking.

A cloned Emperor doesn't make any sense. An unaltered clone (like Boba Fett) is an individual, with own awareness, thoughts, etc. so even a clone of Palpatine/emperor would be only a threat to the real emperor, who could and would plan to overthrow him and become the only emperor himself because treachery is the dark way of the force.
I am very sure we will not see a cloned emperor, cloned vader etc.

MerlinTheGoat

A cloned Emperor doesn't make any sense. An unaltered clone (like Boba Fett) is an individual, with own awareness, thoughts, etc. so even a clone of Palpatine/emperor would be only a threat to the real emperor, who could and would plan to overthrow him and become the only emperor himself because treachery is the dark way of the force.
I am very sure we will not see a cloned emperor, cloned vader etc.
The Expanded Universe has a different way of dealing with the clones of the Emperor if I recall correctly. I guess I should mention that the explanation would be a SPOILER FOR MANY EU STORIES-

I've only kept up with some EU plots through brief online summaries, but I believe he somehow actually manages to transfer his original consciousness into a new clone body. So the clone doesn't gain a mind of its own, it's just a new vessel for him. Though if we're assuming the EU is entirely non canon and this plot element isn't being used at all...dunno.

Spike-in-Berlin

The Expanded Universe has a different way of dealing with the clones of the Emperor if I recall correctly. I guess I should mention that the explanation would be a SPOILER FOR MANY EU STORIES-

I've only kept up with some EU plots through brief online summaries, but I believe he somehow actually manages to transfer his original consciousness into a new clone body. So the clone doesn't gain a mind of its own, it's just a new vessel for him. Though if we're assuming the EU is entirely non canon and this plot element isn't being used at all...dunno.

Well then I would like to know from those EU authors how he was able to transfer his original conciousness which was destroyed in the reactor shaft into a different body. Or is he also able to split his consciousness/soul, did it befor ethe Battle of Endor and created even something like a HORCRUX? ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well then I would like to know from those EU authors how he was able to transfer his original conciousness which was destroyed in the reactor shaft into a different body. Or is he also able to split his consciousness/soul, did it befor ethe Battle of Endor and created even something like a HORCRUX? ;)
This is the explanation from the books on Wookieepedia.

At an unknown point in time prior to his death at the Battle of Endor Palpatine had found a different way to cheat death by preserving his spirit after the death of his body, by the method of spirit transference. He arranged for a series of clones of himself to be created for his spirit to possess, in the event that he would perish. His primary supply of clones was kept on Byss, guarded by loyal Dark Jedi and immense genetically-altered guards and maintained by a trusted private physician. Unfortunately, the clones were heavily ravaged by the dark side and not sustained by the Force. Each body he took would age and deteriorate more quickly than the last. But the Dark Lord was not concerned; he had an endless supply of clones which he could use to rule the Empire.
After the destruction of the second Death Star, Palpatine's spirit was forced to journey in the maddening, bodiless existence of the void, with various deceased Sith spirits aiding him in his journey back to the living plane of existence,[126] eventually taking possession of the body of Emperor's Hand Jeng Droga. Palpatine called out to Sate Pestage, who rescued the broken body from Kaal and returned it to Byss. Though Droga went mad in the process, he was able to journey to Byss, where Palpatine was able to take possession of a clone of himself. There, on Byss, he would remain for years and would rebuild his strength and Empire. Resurrected, Palpatine planned to replace the Galactic Empire with a "Dark Empire", a universe-spanning magocracy ruled through the dark side of the Force alone, without the need for regional governors or technological domination.

MerlinTheGoat

EDIT- Beaten by Master Yoda (how ironic lol!). So it looks like the transfer happens after his death somehow. I guess it's sort of like how jedi can come back as spirits, with some differences. Obvious limitation is that you apparently can't do much unless you actually have a clone body all ready to use (which he had many of), plus you age very fast compared to your original body.

I'm really no expert in the matter obviously, but I'm sure it wasn't a soul splitting thing. I don't know whether he did this transfer before or after he was killed in the reactor though. The ability is related to the force though. As seen in even the original trilogy though, your consciousness can remain after death. Several Jedi have come back as spirits.

There's a story that reveals that the Emperor actually has stockpiles of clones. An EU story obviously. The downside is apparently that the dark side deteriorates clone bodies far faster than the original body. If you want some of the summary, here (but keep in mind, spoilers for EU content)-
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire

I really don't know about the "how" involving the transfer though. You'll have to ask others more initiated than myself, i've only read online summaries and never the original stories. The full stories may or may not explain more.

Clever Name

An infinite universe can be no larger than a single atom. A universe is only one of an infinite number of other universes. Together they are known as a multiverse.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Multiverse. Mutiverse sounds like a place where the X-Men live.
Nice!!! Tying it all together
Darth Wolverine
DarthWolverine.jpg

HMF

Besides perhaps using some minor creative elements from the EU (like clones of the emperor and such), it's very likely they are going to end up rendering the EU non-canon.
That may lose them fans. I for one would want all the hours of my life I spent/wasted on the franchise back and that would mean most of the last 14 years of my life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom