Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Mawg

I'm not a big EU fan or know really anything about. It all sounds like a bunch of dungeons and dragons lovers who prefer space to me. Disney can do what every they want, they own it. But with all the Star Wars fanatics out there, if they don't keep the EU (Whatever that is) in mind when they are writing these movies they are going to off their most important audience...Sheldon Cooper. Any ways you get the idea...they have to follow this stuff to have success.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Because you see a wiki site and aren't actually READING what's in it - instead just going 'wiki... ha!' Credibility comes from the references and sources - not the platform.

It's a decade+ old concept... the proof is everywhere. Community content didn't create the wired.com article or starwars.com blogs that are cited in the article you refuse to read. @sshindel just provided you a nice link to starwars.com as well.

By mocking a site without actually reading it or its sources.. you're not exactly helping yourself.
And by simply using wiki as a source you aren't exactly helping yourself either. I'm not the only person that discounts the credibility of Wiki as a source.

That is my point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not the only person that discounts the credibility of Wiki as a source.

That is my point.
.. the source isn't the wiki itself.. follow those little footnotes. In this case, both starwars.com and wired.com.

The idea of sources and citations is independent of the hosting platform. Be it your TV news, newspaper, wiki, scientific journey, etc.

bubbles1812

I'm not a big EU fan or know really anything about. It all sounds like a bunch of dungeons and dragons lovers who prefer space to me. Disney can do what every they want, they own it. But with all the Star Wars fanatics out there, if they don't keep the EU (Whatever that is) in mind when they are writing these movies they are going to off their most important audience...Sheldon Cooper. Any ways you get the idea...they have to follow this stuff to have success.

I don't think that's true at all. Yes there is obviously a fairly sizeable contingent of hard core Star Wars fans but there are many more who are not. I'll use myself as an example. I loved and grew up with the original trilogy, which my dad introduced me to when I was 7. I saw each of the prequel movies in theaters and thought they were enjoyable if not exactly of the highest quality in terms of writing. (I still crack up at that long "nooooooo" by Vader at the end.) But I could give a flip about the Expanded Universe. Now, there are many many many more people like me than there are Star Wars fanatics. That's the audience Disney has to most target, the one that is most important. They know they already have "Sheldon Cooper." He's going to see the new movies regardless, because he's going to be curious about what Disney does even if they don't follow the expanded Universe. You just can't pander to the hard core fanbase... again the bigger audience doesn't pay attention all that much to what they think. You have to bring in casual fans and people who haven't ever been that interested in the series or order for it to be a success... and most of those people aren't even aware an EU exists. So Disney doesn't have to follow it at all if they don't want to.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wow.. this is mind numbing. You're just being a sheep now.. hate on wikis... baaaaahhhh. LOOK AT THE SOURCES - here's a hint.. the source isn't the wiki itself.. follow those little footnotes. In this case, both starwars.com and wired.com.

The idea of sources and citations is independent of the hosting platform. Be it your TV news, newspaper, wiki, scientific journey, etc. Stop being a sheep and actually understand what you are looking at.

After this comment, I'll stop posting on this subject, but my opinion on Wiki has nothing to do with other peoples opinion of Wiki. It was formed by my own mind.

Now you boys can continue your Star Wars WHOA discussion. I'm not going to try to further derail this conversation.

jdmdisney99

the source isn't the wiki itself.. follow those little footnotes. In this case, both starwars.com and wired.com.

The idea of sources and citations is independent of the hosting platform. Be it your TV news, newspaper, wiki, scientific journey, etc. .
True. My old Tech teacher's husband worked (literally worked) as a fact-checker for Wikipedia.

Beholder

http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

He wrote Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine.
Supposedly he is also a huge Star Wars nerd. Great
news!

This is potentially good news. Being a "story driven" kind of writer with great characters and compelling narratives is a good thing. As long as he respects the SW "universe" and doesn't make some of the prequel miscues, it should be a solid entry. No Jar Jar, no Ewoks, no hamster riding Jedi's, it'll be great.

The Empress Lilly

This is potentially good news. Being a "story driven" kind of writer with great characters and compelling narratives is a good thing. As long as he respects the SW "universe" and doesn't make some of the prequel miscues, it should be a solid entry. No Jar Jar, no Ewoks, no hamster riding Jedi's, it'll be great.
I too think it is good news!

I've seen Little Miss Sunshine. A seven(?) year old wannabe beauty queen, an actual suicidal queen who studies Marcel Proust, and an obscure motivational speaker. Awesome! Almost as good as 'two robots, a wizard, and a wannabe pilot peasant boy'.

Star Wars is best when it remembers to be independent cinema. I am dreading a Marvelization of the franchise. I donlt need Jedi knights playing Thor, Captain America and a robot as Iron Man.

doctornick

Oh, and to cheer up all the Star Wars lovers, talked to someone up the food chain at Disney this morning (well, early afternoon by my standards) and was told to not expect anything Star Wars related in either USA resort and that includes the Studios makeover. Rasulo/Iger weren't lying on the teleconference when they said attractions for Hong Kong and Shanghai (both of which have different Marvel attractions also under development). I wasn't going to post that here, but since everyone is crying a river of latte, I thought I'd give them something else to cry about.

I felt that this deserved to be mentioned in this (more on topic) thread. I don't particularly expect to see Star Wars added to any US park in the near future, so this doesn't surprise me. [The only thing I thought might be added relatively quickly would be a permanent Jedi Training Academy in the Sounds Dangerous space, simply because it had been considered recently and would be easy to dust off and build.]

Spike-in-Berlin

I felt that this deserved to be mentioned in this (more on topic) thread. I don't particularly expect to see Star Wars added to any US park in the near future, so this doesn't surprise me. [The only thing I thought might be added relatively quickly would be a permanent Jedi Training Academy in the Sounds Dangerous space, simply because it had been considered recently and would be easy to dust off and build.]

They are doing something in the old Sounds Dangerous building at the moment. Couldn't that perhaps be already an indoor Jedi Training Academy?

doctornick

They are doing something in the old Sounds Dangerous building at the moment. Couldn't that perhaps be already an indoor Jedi Training Academy?

I think it is just sign ups for the Jedi Training Academy. There were plans/rumors circulating (a while ago, maybe a year or two) that they were going to build a more formal attraction in that building with an animatronic Yoda. Something similar to Enchanted Tales with Belle, I would think.

Beholder

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm leaning towards the idea that nothing significant will be added to the parks as far as SW is concerned. Perhaps when the SW/Disney marketing machine starts creating the momentum for the Episode 7 juggernaut, then maybe something domestic will come along. I see Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and all the in house Disney stuff as this magnificent toy box just waiting to be exploited, but to them, it's just an investment to strengthen their portfolio. I see potential and dream of the amazing possibilities, they see a revenue stream. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but not very exciting for us "fans".

Spike-in-Berlin

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm leaning towards the idea that nothing significant will be added to the parks as far as SW is concerned. Perhaps when the SW/Disney marketing machine starts creating the momentum for the Episode 7 juggernaut, then maybe something domestic will come along. I see Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and all the in house Disney stuff as this magnificent toy box just waiting to be exploited, but to them, it's just an investment to strengthen their portfolio. I see potential and dream of the amazing possibilities, they see a revenue stream. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but not very exciting for us "fans".

I can live with that at least for a while...as long as they build Cars Land at DHS.

ParkMan73

Bringing Vader back would be exactly the kind of non-sense decision I fear they might be inclined to make and is the kind of goofiness that caused Episodes 1-3 to be problematic for me.

I'd much rather them create a new character that can stand on it's own merits.

Here's hoping it's indeed a bold face lice.

erasure fan1

You just can't pander to the hard core fanbase... again the bigger audience doesn't pay attention all that much to what they think. You have to bring in casual fans and people who haven't ever been that interested in the series or order for it to be a success... and most of those people aren't even aware an EU exists. So Disney doesn't have to follow it at all if they don't want to.
Exactly. If Disney does this right, you can incorporate ideas from the EU but give the people in charge as much flexibility to just make a great movie. Being a huge star wars nut and liking the EU, I really have no problem with them going into a different direction than the EU (if thats what they do). Just like the hard core Disney fans (like us on wdw magic) only make up a small percent of the overall Disney fan base the same thing goes for star wars in my opinion. Not looking globally on this one would be a mistake I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom