Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

SirLink

1. Studios will say "Do [insert next technology here]" because it will increase prices of movie tickets.
2. I agree, 3DTV did not catch on yet but once technology that allows you to watch without the need for expensive glasses, it'll become more mainstream.
3. 3D won't be dropped but won't become the selling feature. (I am completely in agreement with you on 3D...it's a gimmick and nobody is really taking it seriously. Very few films actually benefit from 3D. (Avatar & Tron:Legacy are a couple)
4. There will be a time when the technology can't be utilized by up-converting film.
5. Aside from the rare exception, how many black & white blu-rays are flying off the shelves? Is it because the movies aren't good? No. Is it because people figure...well, why do I need Blu-Ray...it's a black and white film!
6. I thought the definition of a cult classic was a movie/show/album that only certain groups of people like...that weren't really popular movies in their time. Kind of like Donnie Darko. Star Wars/Back to the Future/ET...those were popular movies. Anyways...like I said, "Never Say Never" because Psycho was redone.

This could go back and forth forever but I'll end mine here. I've said it before but I hope they truly NEVER remake the original 3 films but I won't say that they never WILL.

1. I see your agreeing with me
2. At the point it is now where it costs £300 for a 3DTV and no one gives a flying hippo about it, because its a fad.
3.Its a fad. Microsoft had a whole division looking into it with the Xbox being the catalyst device - they backed down. Sony is backing off slowly.
4. At a point there is only so much you can enhance a film with sound and picture quality after that is it, 3D has been tried in every version of cinematography from way back with simple basic in 1915. Its been a fad every time
5.WRONG. The Artist was in black and white and a silent movie in got rave reviews, why aren't they flying of the shelves? WELL that one is easy young grasshopper, people have the attention of a gnat and can't concentrate.
6. I class cult classics as decent movies with obsessive to the point of creepy fanbases. You mean the remake which was universally panned by fans of Alfred Hitchcock and critics alike - because I'm sure K.K. is so inept to do something like that :rolleyes:

They will never remake them. And to quote Judge Judy "MOVE ON!"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow...I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info!
I'm wondering when the 3D tech will get here that doesn't require glasses (I know it's already on the 3DS but for larger television screens from multiple viewing angles)
It is on its way. Like you stated, the viewing angle is the big issue. The no glasses 3D looks great straight on, but goes to crap when you are viewing it at an angle.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
There is a "new hope" for EPCOT

EPCOT Death Star by Haneysj, on Flickr

I raise you.

6PZt3.jpg

jdmdisney99

Yesterday when discussing what movies to watch, I suggested Star Wars but my sister rejected my thoughts. Then she said we'd finish watching Dark Shadows and then we'd watch a Disney movie. Then I happily remarked that Star Wars is a Disney movie. It felt amazing to say that. :)

fractal

That is already here. The LG 3D TV's use the passive glasses like you get at a movie theater. I have one myself and it is much better than the active 3D glasses that cost $30 and up a piece.

Same here - I think they gave me almost 15 pairs when I bought my LG - It's also cool how you can turn any program into 3D.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Same here - I think they gave me almost 15 pairs when I bought my LG - It's also cool how you can turn any program into 3D.
I got that same deal at Best Buy. The TV came with 4 pairs of the RayBan style glasses as well as about a dozen glasses in assorted styles that included kids sizes, clip on, etc. My daughter actually takes the clip on ones with her to the movies so she does not have to deal with trying to put the movie glasses over her regular ones.

WishIwasThere

Ok... Have been thinking/reading/dissecting/ eating Cake about this for a couple days and I feel wary of this deal, mainly because it could go wrong in more ways then it could go right. From having a bad to alright movie to messing up the EU to Disneyfing the movie to bad ( the PT kiddied the series A LOT but I feel Disney could make that even worse.) Or screwing with things like Underworld or 1313 or forcing Dark Horse and Del Ray out of their contracts or not adding anything to the parks till 2020 anyway or... You get the idea...
I disagree with pretty much all of this. The Ep. 7-9 plan appears to be in place before Bob showed up with his big fat check, so we can probably still blame Lucas or Kennedy for at least Ep. 7 if its as bad as Ep. 1. The EU is always changing and adding stuff, whether canon or not. George was the one responsible for "Disneyfying" the PT in the first place, and so much was made about that, that I think they won't make that mistake twice. And as far as adding attractions to the parks, I beleive this will actually make it easier to do so, now they no longer need approval from Skywalker Ranch.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It will be interesting to see how how Disney handles Star Wars fan films. Lucasfilm really embraced it even creating an offical Star Wars Fan Film Awards.
I do hope they continue with GL's attitude toward the subject. The fan films and the parodies are such a great part of the community. I could not imagine shows like Robot Chicken of Family Guy without the Star Wars spoofs.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I do hope they continue with GL's attitude toward the subject. The fan films and the parodies are such a great part of the community. I could not imagine shows like Robot Chicken of Family Guy without the Star Wars spoofs.
They'd be foolish to try and limit this type of work. It's the kind of thing that keeps things in pop-culture lexicon and keeps it relevant. I know when I catch one of the Family Guy Star Wars episodes, it makes me want to go and watch the original.
Of course, there is a good chance they will decide to be foolish and try and limit it. I can see them disallowing any outside use of their product and trying to put out only "official" versions like the Detours project. Yikes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They'd be foolish to try and limit this type of work. It's the kind of thing that keeps things in pop-culture lexicon and keeps it relevant. I know when I catch one of the Family Guy Star Wars episodes, it makes me want to go and watch the original.
Of course, there is a good chance they will decide to be foolish and try and limit it. I can see them disallowing any outside use of their product and trying to put out only "official" versions like the Detours project. Yikes.
I could see it going either way as well. Hopefully, since the staff at LucaFilm will largely stay the same they will continue business as usual.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Disney has played pretty hands off with both Pixar and Marvel in their localized methods of outreach and styles.. I think there is pretty good precedence to believe that will be the same.

I've had a similar feeling, that they would not be trying to fully bring Lucasfilm fully in-house, but follow the Pixar / Marvel model and keep them operating as a semi-separate entity. I do hope that is the case. Leverage the places where Disney can be beneficial, but keep the masters of the material mostly in charge of running their enterprise.

erasure fan1

Of course Lucas is worse, but at least he only liked to **** with the prequel area. I don't know, but I guess we shall find out how this is going to go soon enough.
I guess that's why I have hope. Lucas seemed to only care about the clone war era and the events before that. I'm sure its just my mega nerd hope that we see something in a completely different time frame. **cough**knightsoftheoldrepublic**cough** Seeing what Bioware was able to do with the knights of the old republic story without the constraints of Lucas (for the most part) really opened my eyes to the great things that could come from star wars. I guess at this point I dont mind the risks because Lucas was never going to do anything anyway. And if he did you could bet we would get more "hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo." :confused: Ill take the risk because the upside has SOOOO much potential.

doctornick

So, I was just thinking, and I'd love to see the reaction of this on this topic. It combines a few of folks favorite things together.

How many of you would buy DVC in a Star Wars themed DVC resort?
The Villas at Endor / Mos Eisley / Coruscant / Kashyyyk / ...

Honestly, I'm not trying to troll here or anything, but can't you just see them doing this?

Ignore DVC or not, but I think a Star Wars themed resort would be awesome and do well. I think it could be set up like some of the hotels where different wings or buildings are themed to different places in the Star Wars Universe.

Magenta Panther

I disagree with pretty much all of this. The Ep. 7-9 plan appears to be in place before Bob showed up with his big fat check, so we can probably still blame Lucas or Kennedy for at least Ep. 7 if its as bad as Ep. 1. The EU is always changing and adding stuff, whether canon or not. George was the one responsible for "Disneyfying" the PT in the first place, and so much was made about that, that I think they won't make that mistake twice. And as far as adding attractions to the parks, I beleive this will actually make it easier to do so, now they no longer need approval from Skywalker Ranch.

And let us never forget...George killed Chewbacca!!!!! :eek:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ignore DVC or not, but I think a Star Wars themed resort would be awesome and do well. I think it could be set up like some of the hotels where different wings or buildings are themed to different places in the Star Wars Universe.

Plus we all know DVC is the only thing that Disney builds quickly in Orlando. It's our best shot of seeing something else Star Wars by 2015;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom