Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

The Empress Lilly

Most Popular Halloween Costumes for Kids

The National Retail Federation recently revealed the top-selling children's Halloween costumes.

Read more: Halloween Costumes for Kids - Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids - Good Housekeeping
Star Wars at #10, behind princesses and pirates and superheroes, but ahead of Fairies and Buzz Lightyear and many other cultural mainstays.

Every kid knows what Star Wars is, every adult too.

I think $4 billion is a steal. I suppose the buyers market for such a franchise is very limited, maybe nobody else was interested in Lucasfilm in a meaningful way. One does not simply buy the franchsie then hope to recoup one's money over time. It is only useful if you can develop and maintain the franchise, which not many companies can do to begin with, and none seem better equiped to do so than Disney.

Iger Disney's core business is no longer to create, but to synergise. They have perfected the art of exploiting IP franchises. Nobody out there is a top tier player in all the fields that Disney has mastered: television, cinema, toys, merchandise, theme parks. Only digital content and computer games are weak points of Disney.

Vader2112

There's something very sad about this picture...

628x471.jpg
Yeah, but R2D2 and Donald never wear pants anyway.
Yeah that that is the cast of the 2015 Star Wars release Lucas will be playing ObI Wan Kenobi.
Not sure what to think. I hope that if they do post Jedi it is based off Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire Series.

WDW1974

The stock was down to reflect the dillution of ownership when they issue 40 million shares to fund half of the cost. If Wall street didnt like the deal the stock would have been down 5-6 pts.

Additionaly, as I previously posted in this thread, Fitch maintained their A debt rating on Disney's debt despite the $2 billion cash outlay and stock dillution. They feel that Disney will be able to recoup their investment in 24 months. - but nice try.

Ah, nice try in what regard? Wall Street adjusted for the the shares that were released. Disney said 'we're going to pay off George Lucas in stock, which is going to devalue our company by two percent' ... and Wall Street responded by saying 'That's kewl, Mr. Iger, but we aren't gonna pay for content even if we think this is a good deal and we're going to devalue your stock roughly two percent to reflect that'.

I don't wish to get into a ing contest about the deal. Maybe I could have worded my post better to reflect the fact that Wall Street isn't all into content, just numbers.

This is a great deal for Disney AND Lucas (and should be for shareholders, of which I would be one and not of the fanboi one share variety).

It isn't nearly as complicated or as problematic as the Marvel deal.

WDW1974

Iger Disney's core business is no longer to create, but to synergise. They have perfected the art of exploiting IP franchises. Nobody out there is a top tier player in all the fields that Disney has mastered: television, cinema, toys, merchandise, theme parks. Only digital content and computer games are weak points of Disney.

I would say Disney's weak point is they can't create anything anymore for the most part. They rely on the creativity of others ... the IP to make their machine work. Whether you like the IP or not doesn't change the fact that Disney's own creativity has largely dried up.

TP2000

Our trick or treating got cancelled due to the hurricane and the mess it left.

Here in Southern California, Halloween night is going strong. I'm posting inbetween trips to the door every 2 minutes. We've had about 200 kids thus far, just before 8PM here in my busy trick-or-treating neighborhood.

And not a single Avatar character has shown up. Not that I've ever seen an Avatar anything on Halloween.

But there have been dozens of Star Wars characters, of all ages (a lot of Dads are doing Obi Wan or Han Solo this year, and one Mom was Leia). Lots and lots of the under-12 boys are Jedi Knights. And dozens of little boys are Cars characters; mostly Lightning or Tow Mater. And I've lost track of the girls this year who are Disney Princesses in this SoCal neighborhood where most families have Annual Passes to Disneyland. Harry Potter is giving the Disney franchises a run for their money, though.

But not a single Avatar has been at my door. And this year I'm giving out good stuff; full-size Hershey With Almonds or Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, with special See's Candy bundles for the kids of my immediate neighbors or those who really put a lot into their outfits. :D

Midway Thru The Night, Halloween Count 2012: Avatar 0 - Everything Else 215

Computer Magic

Ah, nice try in what regard? Wall Street adjusted for the the shares that were released. Disney said 'we're going to pay off George Lucas in stock, which is going to devalue our company by two percent' ... and Wall Street responded by saying 'That's kewl, Mr. Iger, but we aren't gonna pay for content even if we think this is a good deal and we're going to devalue your stock roughly two percent to reflect that'.

I don't wish to get into a ing contest about the deal. Maybe I could have worded my post better to reflect the fact that Wall Street isn't all into content, just numbers.

This is a great deal for Disney AND Lucas (and should be for shareholders, of which I would be one and not of the fanboi one share variety).

if you can't beat them buy them. Disney is risk-averse and chooses to purchase developed companies.

Magenta Panther

I would say Disney's weak point is they can't create anything anymore for the most part. They rely on the creativity of others ... the IP to make their machine work. Whether you like the IP or not doesn't change the fact that Disney's own creativity has largely dried up.

Exactly. And yet there are so many people here completely ignoring that because they're too busy jumping up and down and wetting their pants over Disney's latest acquisition. "Oh boy, a Marvel/Star Wars park in Disneyland! AWESOME!!!!" *hurl* Forget the actual Disney creations locked in the vault with no attractions built around them, forget the legacy of bold original creativity that MADE the company, forget the broken Yeti, just as long as there's a chance that CM dressed up as Darth Vader will appear in Tomorrowland breathing heavily and waving a plastic light saber. Oh, Walt, I weep for your company...

fractal

I was referring to this...

"Despite most analysts and folks in the industry (and even ME) thinking this was a very good deal, Wall Street didn't agree today as WDC shares plunged 1.92%."

fractal

Agree.

I think the failure of John Carter had much to do with the Lucas and Marvel deal.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Exactly. And yet there are so many people here completely ignoring that because they're too busy jumping up and down and wetting their pants over Disney's latest acquisition. "Oh boy, a Marvel/Star Wars park in Disneyland! AWESOME!!!!" *hurl* Forget the actual Disney creations locked in the vault with no attractions built around them, forget the legacy of bold original creativity that MADE the company, forget the broken Yeti, just as long as there's a chance that CM dressed up as Darth Vader will appear in Tomorrowland breathing heavily and waving a plastic light saber. Oh, Walt, I weep for your company...
Lets not forget that, yes, it was started by a mouse, but built on the back of a princess and seven dwarfs,, who were the IP of the Brothers Grimm I believe?

Magenta Panther

Agree.

I think the failure of John Carter had much to do with the Lucas and Marvel deal.

If so, that proves that Iger is a wimp. How many failures did Walt have? But he stayed the course and believed in creating new, high-quality characters, movies and shows. He took risks all the time. If he hadn't, we wouldn't have any Disney theme parks to discuss here. Oh wait, that's right, Iger wants to SELL those...

Magenta Panther

Lets not forget that, yes, it was started by a mouse, but built on the back of a princess and seven dwarfs,, who were the IP of the Brothers Grimm I believe?

Really, how hard is this to grasp: there's a difference between acquisition and artistry. The Brothers Grimm might have written a version of Snow White, but Walt and his gang created Sneezy, Dopey, Grumpy, Sleepy, Happy, Bashful and Doc. And THAT version is the version the world loves best, because it's the best version, thanks to ARTISTRY. Walt would buy rights to books (or just adapt fairy tales and legends) and create something new and wonderful from them. That's what Disney was known for. Why don't you try reading a little bit about the history of Disney, instead of making the assumption that a big pocketbook=risk and talent?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom