Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

fractal

Not really, just realistic that theme park additions may not be a top priority or requirement to making money out of this investment.

You meant to say " I wish my beloved Universal had bought Lucasfilms but a guy can dream that Disney would be moronic enough to license it to IOA."

GrumpyFan

Not really - Disney found the valuation of those things so insignificant compared to the SW franchise in their valuation of the company and justification of the purchase price. While all of those things are great - none seem to be a consistent money making machine. If there was significant profit potential there, Disney would have been using it to help justify their price to the analysts.. instead they basically blew all those ventures off as immaterial to the larger deal.

You have a point. The IP is worth far more than any of the others, but what I was pointing out was the fact that the others potentially give Disney an advantage as well with businesses/functions that can stand on their own as well help support other units within the company.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Speaking of which, after seeing Disney's costs for their attractions, I was stunned to hear that Transformers is only costing Universal ~$40 million (assuming that is accurate). I realize its a clone but still seems low for that kind of ride

Spike-in-Berlin

If Disney builds it i'll come. And by "it" I specifically mean something of worthwhile substance, not the majority of what they've been doing at WDW for the past decade or greater. No more trying to pretend that meet & greets, glorified bathrooms, pretty restaurants, and other accessories to theme parks devoid of actual substance are going to cut it for new experiences (especially at the ticket prices being charged). Real tangible rides with detailed physical set pieces and physical animatronic figures. I want something substantial and at LEAST on the same caliber as Indiana Jones in California. We've got too many video screen attractions as it is (one or two is fine, but no more). And they're going to have to start approving competent budgets for these attractions as well.

I just hope Disney doesn't sit on these franchises and let them just continue to print money on what they've already

Hm maybe. One supposes they could strip them down and use all the parts for still-existing animatronics. :p

Exactly what I was thinking, I am increasingly annoyed by the increase of M+G in the parks because TDO really seems to believe they are attractions and they are adequate substitutes for new rides etc. They are NOT. And even the best themed restaurant or shop in the World is not an attraction either. Rides are attractions, shows are, even walk-thrus and exhibitions are. That's what I want and not 10 more places where I wait 45 minutes to get a picture of myself with some Disney characters.

Jedeye80

If they go with the continuation of the original trilogy then Nathan fillon gets my vote for Han Solo son or recasting, as for director then either Whedon or finally let Spielberg have a go. But seeing as there is little chance of that then let either brad bird or Andrew Stanton write and direct it. Lets hope now that uni pulls out all the stops with additions and forces disney to pull their finger out, the only ones that win are us!

When I booked my Disneyland trip the cast member asked me if I wanted to buy Universal tickets. You'd NEVER catch them doing that in Florida!

Well they have 2 one day parks in California, In Fla they are aiming to keep you on property the whole time. When it was just the MK, they would offer tickets to Silver Springs and Sea World. Just a different strategy. One wants you to come to Southern California, as they used to want to give you reasons to come to FLA. Now they want to give you a reason to come to Disney World and Disney only.

DisneyDad1977

If they go with the continuation of the original trilogy then Nathan fillon gets my vote for Han Solo son or recasting, as for director then either Whedon or finally let Spielberg have a go. But seeing as there is little chance of that then let either brad bird or Andrew Stanton write and direct it. Lets hope now that uni pulls out all the stops with additions and forces disney to pull their finger out, the only ones that win are us!

I was thinking the same thing. Why wouldn't Disney want to steal the 24-55 female demographic?

WDW1974

Some Spirited Halloween thoughts without going thru all 57 pages of this discussion/droolfest in the midst of a national/natural disaster and with a very important election in less than a week:

This IS NOT, IS NOT, IS NOT about theme parks and WDW isn't building another gate based on Lucas props and Marvel props etc, no matter how excited the thought makes you when you sleep on your Star Wars sheets (matter of full disclosure: The Spirit had those sheets too, but he had them when he was 11 ... when it was ... ya know ... normal!);

Despite most analysts and folks in the industry (and even ME) thinking this was a very good deal, Wall Street didn't agree today as WDC shares plunged 1.92%. No, nothing big. But they didn't see a any gain at all;

This is, much like Pixar, about acquiring talent and rights to IP that many already feel is part of Disney, much more than anything else and exploiting that in the future thru more films, new TV series and, naturally, oodles of merchandise;

Theme parks are way down the list, but sure they'll see more product at some point. Will this result in anything in the near term? Almost no chance of that. This is Disney, after all. They purchased Marvel in 2009 and won't announce ANY theme park project involving said IP until fourth quarter of fiscal '13;

Does this mean anything for the Studios makeover? Hard to tell since Lucas-props have made the rumour mill as getting in on the action already. A larger presence is possible. The Fanboi coined Lucasland is ... well, best left to the fanbois. You are still more likely to see Cars land and Avatar than any MAJOR SW addition at TPFKaTD-MGMS. What it does look like is EPCOT is just going to sit back and rot while resources are spent elsewhere and the VP of the moment uses seasonal events to try and drive attendance and, more importantly, F&B sales;

Wondering if that HKDL expansion pad originally set aside for Star Tours, but seemingly set for a Marvel attraction winds up reverting back to its original purpose;

Read Al Lutz's take on it today. Don't disagree with much. He does suggest a very large Star Wars presence in Shanghai, which is something that doesn't mesh with what I know. Although they certainly are at a stage when things can change (this is about the time when 60% of HKDL got axed, for instance);

Funny how a man who only talks about technology and is spending an obscene sum at WDW on Next Gen, winds up consistently buying CONTENT. After all, you have nothing if you don't have it and that is what the focus seems to be on;

This deal, despite what some may tell you, wasn't a years in the making deal. It only got very serious, very recently. But again, Lucas (much like Pixar) didn't have bunches of suitors lining up. Sometimes, no matter how valuable your assets may be, the number of folks wanting to buy are very limited;

Oh, and I have yet to see a Trick or Treaters wearing any Avatar costumes, but I haven't seen any wearing Star Wars outfits either. I have seen lots of Meridas and Buzz Lightyears and Spideys ... make of that what you will.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My 13yo girl went as a Jedi, complete with Jedi cape and light saber purchased at DHS during Star Wars Weekends last year. The boy went as Capt Rex. Saw a Wookie, Yoda, and 3 Darths......Maybe the Midwest is still a bit behind the times?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Oh, and I have yet to see a Trick or Treaters wearing any Avatar costumes, but I haven't seen any wearing Star Wars outfits either. I have seen lots of Meridas and Buzz Lightyears and Spideys ... make of that what you will.

Allow me to chime on what I saw tonight. Jedis. Jedis. Jedis. Jedis. Jedis. Leia. Pod racin' Anakin. Not one of the boy with an Emo scar on his head. Might just be the area people are in as to what costumes are popular. Kinda interesting how you see more of something in one locale and something totally different elsewhere. When you wisshhh uponnn a deathhh star! ;) Saw SEVERAL Incredibles as well as Toy Story. Disney seemed to take the take of kids I saw.

Disclaimer: My post is not a stab or jab at anyone yet stating a different observation in a far different region.

Taylor

Allow me to chime on what I saw tonight. Jedis. Jedis. Jedis. Jedis. Jedis. Leia. Pod racin' Anakin. Not one of the boy with an Emo scar on his head. Might just be the area people are in as to what costumes are popular. When you wisshhh uponnn a deathhh star! ;) Saw SEVERAL Incredibles as well as Toy Story. Disney seemed to take the take of kids I saw.
My little bros went as Thor and Woody my little sis as Snow White and I saw tons of star wars and avengers

fractal

Some Spirited Halloween thoughts without going thru all 57 pages of this discussion/droolfest in the midst of a national/natural disaster and with a very important election in less than a week:

This IS NOT, IS NOT, IS NOT about theme parks and WDW isn't building another gate based on Lucas props and Marvel props etc, no matter how excited the thought makes you when you sleep on your Star Wars sheets (matter of full disclosure: The Spirit had those sheets too, but he had them when he was 11 ... when it was ... ya know ... normal!);

Despite most analysts and folks in the industry (and even ME) thinking this was a very good deal, Wall Street didn't agree today as WDC shares plunged 1.92%. No, nothing big. But they didn't see a any gain at all;

This is, much like Pixar, about acquiring talent and rights to IP that many already feel is part of Disney, much more than anything else and exploiting that in the future thru more films, new TV series and, naturally, oodles of merchandise;

Theme parks are way down the list, but sure they'll see more product at some point. Will this result in anything in the near term? Almost no chance of that. This is Disney, after all. They purchased Marvel in 2009 and won't announce ANY theme park project involving said IP until fourth quarter of fiscal '13;

Does this mean anything for the Studios makeover? Hard to tell since Lucas-props have made the rumour mill as getting in on the action already. A larger presence is possible. The Fanboi coined Lucasland is ... well, best left to the fanbois. You are still more likely to see Cars land and Avatar than any MAJOR SW addition at TPFKaTD-MGMS. What it does look like is EPCOT is just going to sit back and rot while resources are spent elsewhere and the VP of the moment uses seasonal events to try and drive attendance and, more importantly, F&B sales;

Wondering if that HKDL expansion pad originally set aside for Star Tours, but seemingly set for a Marvel attraction winds up reverting back to its original purpose;

Read Al Lutz's take on it today. Don't disagree with much. He does suggest a very large Star Wars presence in Shanghai, which is something that doesn't mesh with what I know. Although they certainly are at a stage when things can change (this is about the time when 60% of HKDL got axed, for instance);

Funny how a man who only talks about technology and is spending an obscene sum at WDW on Next Gen, winds up consistently buying CONTENT. After all, you have nothing if you don't have it and that is what the focus seems to be on;

This deal, despite what some may tell you, wasn't a years in the making deal. It only got very serious, very recently. But again, Lucas (much like Pixar) didn't have bunches of suitors lining up. Sometimes, no matter how valuable your assets may be, the number of folks wanting to buy are very limited;

The stock was down to reflect the dillution of ownership when they issue 40 million shares to fund half of the cost. If Wall street didnt like the deal the stock would have been down 5-6 pts.

Additionaly, as I previously posted in this thread, Fitch maintained their A debt rating on Disney's debt despite the $2 billion cash outlay and stock dillution. They feel that Disney will be able to recoup their investment in 24 months. - but nice try.

CinematicFusion

Thought this was interesting, I remember reading this guys books as a kid...
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006

TheWrap spoke to Dale Pollock, the author of an unauthorized biography of George Lucas, who said he was given permission to read the "Episode VII," "Episode VIII" and "Episode IX" story treatments back in the 1980s.

"It was originally a 12-part saga," Pollock told TheWrap. "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'"

As TheWrap notes, despite interviewing Lucas over 80 times, Pollock and the director no longer have a relationship, and Lucas wasn't pleased with the book. (Hence why it's unauthorized.)

How things have developed over the 29 years since Pollack read those treatments remains to be seen, but in a statement to E!, a Lucasfilm representative said the storyline for the new "Star Wars" trilogy would be new.

"It's an original story," the source said.

Sorry posted in wrong thread.

erasure fan1

At my daughters Halloween school parade star wars was well represented. The winner this year by us was definitely Marvel but 2nd was star wars. I will agree that avatar was nonexistent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom