Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

TinkerBelle8878

To me this sounds like a much better fit for Disney and the parks as we already have Star Tours and various Indy stuff all over the different parks. Maybe AVATAR is on its way out after all from AK? Would James Cameron now allow LucasFilm's new owners to handle anything in regards to Avatar maybe is the better question.

Either way, at least Universal doesn't have any kind of hold over the Lucasfilm characters in Orlando :p

GLaDOS

From what I gather, they are announcing 3 or 4 E ticket attractions: Transformers, Hogwarts Express, and 2 more HP attractions. The UNI fan sites are complaining that Disney stole their thunder. However, it is interesting to note that they are also pointing out how the "rivalry" is really in the fan's minds and actually in California the theme parks work harmoniously.

You won't hear about Potter tomorrow. Transformers, maybe some Simpsons stuff. That's about it.

From what I gather, they are announcing 3 or 4 E ticket attractions: Transformers, Hogwarts Express, and 2 more HP attractions. The UNI fan sites are complaining that Disney stole their thunder. However, it is interesting to note that they are also pointing out how the "rivalry" is really in the fan's minds and actually in California the theme parks work harmoniously.

I do not see how UNI has anything to worry about. If Disney comes out and says we will have Lucas Land built in 3 years or less , plus Avatar and some pixar land, then UNI can worry. They are adding more rides than Disney is even Thinking about. (as far as we know)

GLaDOS

I do not see how UNI has anything to worry about. If Disney comes out and says we will have Lucas Land built in 3 years or less , plus Avatar and some pixar land, then UNI can worry. They are adding more rides than Disney is even Thinking about. (as far as we know)

Neither has any reason to worry. Disney will continue to be the top attendance getter, and Universal will continue to grow its base and reach a stable attendance level of about 8-9 million per park. Both will continue to offer awesome rides and parks.

And fans will continue to fight over non-existent slights and rivalries. Haha

EPCOTCenterLover

Not to start a flame war: I am not a big fan of the Star Wars movies (saw only two) but I do understand their appeal. I like Star Tours but its not a favorite. Yet, I think Disney buying the package is terrific. Can't wait to see what attractions they come up with- and I'm hoping for lots of Indy stuff. My favorite movie franchise ever!

Calvin Coolidge

If you factor in the footprint of Dragon Challenge, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter takes a huge footprint.

Fair, but not one which is much bigger than the area I described. Expand west to cover all of Echo Lake + where 50s Prime Time, Hollywood & Vine, and Idol are, and there is more potential space for "Star Wars Land"

GLaDOS

Fair, but not one which is much bigger than the area I described. Expand west to cover all of Echo Lake + where 50s Prime Time, Hollywood & Vine, and Idol are, and there is more potential space for "Star Wars Land"

Well, WW will be doubling it's size soon...just in the other park.

Jimmy Thick

The stock is the butter in this deal. How many shares exactly is the wait I am waiting to see. If it is a good number then it might not have been that cheap.

2 billion in stock, which isn't not that much considering the billions of stock they paid for Pixar and Marvel they already have off the books paid in full. Disney will have the deal pain off in under a year.

Jimmy Thick- Disney, the biggest name in entertainmant now?

Jimmy Thick

I really hope Brad Bird is brought in for the new SW movies. I don't know if he is a big SW fan or not but this guy knows how to direct great movies. MI4 was a great movie and he got great performance out of everyone in it. He knows how to stage great action sequences and knows how to hit the emotional notes that the movie would need. He would be a perfect fit. If they want to go young I think Neill Blomkamp would be a great pick. He has shown that he is a visionary and do alot with a little. So imagine what either one could do with ILM.

Christopher Nolan should take the new movies, the man has a way with bring back tired franchises back to life and to prosper.

Jimmy Thick- Hmmm, what if Cameron took the helm...

Jimmy Thick

Actually, this is good news.

This could get Disney off their butts and designing some innovative things. It could get Universal to reach for the stars as well. Its a good time to be a theme park buff.

Jimmy Thick- But Disney will win out, much better franchises.

Yankee Mouse

Not to start a flame war: I am not a big fan of the Star Wars movies (saw only two) but I do understand their appeal. I like Star Tours but its not a favorite. Yet, I think Disney buying the package is terrific. Can't wait to see what attractions they come up with- and I'm hoping for lots of Indy stuff. My favorite movie franchise ever!

I have to ask: which two?

Jimmy Thick

Have to wonder, does Iger buy out the rights back for Marvel from Universal before he steps down? He's willing to spend the cash, what if he wants to tie up all his loose ends?

Jimmy Thick- Something to ponder...

fractal

The stock is the butter in this deal. How many shares exactly is the wait I am waiting to see. If it is a good number then it might not have been that cheap.

According to the press release...

"Disney, which said the deal combines "two highly compatible family
entertainment brands," will pay for about half of the acquisition in cash and
issue about 40 million shares at the deal's closing. Disney shares closed at
$50.08 Friday."

PhilharMagician

Have to wonder, does Iger buy out the rights back for Marvel from Universal before he steps down? He's willing to spend the cash, what if he wants to tie up all his loose ends?

Jimmy Thick- Something to ponder...

I thought they just agreed to an extension to the usage rights shortly after Disney bought Marvel.

PhilharMagician

According to the press release...

"Disney, which said the deal combines "two highly compatible family
entertainment brands," will pay for about half of the acquisition in cash and
issue about 40 million shares at the deal's closing. Disney shares closed at
$50.08 Friday."

George lost $41,000,000 today so far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom