Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Somewhere in Universal Creative, I think they're hearing the "Imperial March"

This is potentially MASSIVE news. I'm GLAD that Iger specifically mentioned theme park attractions. They couldn't get Marvel or Harry Potter at WDW and how many times have we asked for a Star Wars or Indy expansion?

I'm not a super geek fanboy of Star Wars, but i know this can bring TONS of new things to the parks. And, most of all, COMPETITION is a GREAT thing. Universal just posted they're spending 1.5 billion in Florida's parks, maybe a 3rd park will be pushed up now... :eek::D

Festivus

When Lucas announced his retirement a couple months back and Kathleen Kennedy taking over, I had an inkling that something like this might happen. Selling to Disney is a logical choice after the success Disney has had with Pixar and Marvel. I REALLY HOPE they don't do anything with the expanded universe, but if they did i would like to see the Dark Empire saga from Dark Horse Comics. Any new film(s) however, especially if its going to be an official "Episode 7", should be based off the original source material, the films not the EU. When the original film first debuted, Lucas said he envisioned the story as having 9 parts, 3 trilogies. He later backed off that statement sometime during the production of the prequels. If he is going to be a creative consultant, perhaps they may revisit some of his old notes on the "Post Vader" trilogy. Would love to see the original actors in it as expanded cameos or more.

djlaosc

It's hard to tell now. If the new Star Wars movies become successful, I would think that Disney would want to add a few more Lucas rides to Hollywood Studios. As for Marvel, I'm surprised there isn't any already, but I would definitely think that Disney' going to add Marvel-themed rides.

Marvel cannot go into the Florida Parks - the rights are owned by Universal east of the Mississippi

When Lucas announced his retirement a couple months back and Kathleen Kennedy taking over, I had an inkling that something like this might happen. Selling to Disney is a logical choice after the success Disney has had with Pixar and Marvel. I REALLY HOPE they don't do anything with the expanded universe, but if they did i would like to see the Dark Empire saga from Dark Horse Comics. Any new film(s) however, especially if its going to be an official "Episode 7", should be based off the original source material, the films not the EU. When the original film first debuted, Lucas said he envisioned the story as having 9 parts, 3 trilogies. He later backed off that statement sometime during the production of the prequels. If he is going to be a creative consultant, perhaps they may revisit some of his old notes on the "Post Vader" trilogy. Would love to see the original actors in it as expanded cameos or more.

Dark Empire would be great, but do you not think the expanded universe is full of fresh Ideas and Characters, I mean GL has pretty much shot his wad , his prequels were disappointing.

JLipnick

I think any sequels being compared to the original trilogy is going to be poorly received no matter how good they are. what made them great was the lack of CGI and relatively small budgets. i thought episode III was great but that was compared to I and II. compared to empire, it wasn't as good. so what will happen is young kids who didn't grow up with the original trilogy will love it, the die hard star wars fans (like myself) from the original trilogy days will love them and others will see it just for the name. no matter what, the sequel trilogy will make huge $$ which makes this a fantastic move for Disney.

GLaDOS

I wonder if UNI will have to include HP 2.0 in their major announcement on Thursday? i can see them cramming now rebuilding their powerpoint slides!

Why? Because Disney announced a few movies and absolutely nothing to do with Orlando theme parks?

As it stands now, there's absolutely no reason for Universal to freak out. They have a year head start on any construction going on in Orlando.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Why? Because Disney announced a few movies and absolutely nothing to do with Orlando theme parks?

As it stands now, there's absolutely no reason for Universal to freak out. They have a year head start on any construction going on in Orlando.

They actually mentioned parks and attractions in the press release...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Dark Empire would be great, but do you not think the expanded universe is full of fresh Ideas and Characters, I mean GL has pretty much shot his wad , his prequels were disappointing.

I would have no problem with them mining the EU for material. There is some great stuff there and it's really not known outside a relatively small part of the Star Wars fan base. Clone Wars has already tapped into the EU for a couple stories.

I would have no problem with them mining the EU for material. There is some great stuff there and it's really not known outside a relatively small part of the Star Wars fan base. Clone Wars has already tapped into the EU for a couple stories.

Does 2015 not seem really quick to others? Thats really just 2 years away, they have to already have the ball rolling. Has anything been said about the project already being in pre-production for a while?

GLaDOS

Right...and they mentioned Shanghai and Hong Kong specifically. Nothing about WDW. It's probably going to happen, I'm not denying that at all. I look forward to it happening.

But everyone saying Universal is going to be running around crapping their pants needs to look at the overall situation. They have 3 E-tickets all based on extremely popular and profitable franchises under construction and opening within the next 18 months. If Disney started construction tomorrow, they wouldn't have rides open for another 3 years easy.

RadioHead

Yeah I was about to say, didn't Iger mention theme park attractions?

It's like, disney buys lucas for 4 billion dollars, Iger says new attractions will come out of this,

PEOPLE STILL COMPLAIN AND WHINE.

This company has invested so much in the past decade. Pixar, Marvel, Lucas Films, christ. The Disney company is primed to be THE Monopoly figure in the entertainment industry

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom