Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you truly believe that then you need to go see more movies. I don't know what "young" people you are talking to, but I have yet to meet anyone, anyone, that prefers the new trilogy over the old. And yes, that includes people on the internet.

I had superman and return of the jedi bedding as a kid.. and I like the prequels for what they are.

Things like 'accents' didn't throw me.. or jar jar (could do without him.. but I don't think it ruined the trilogy).. but things like.. jedi battles moving from standing fencing type fights to... hyperspeed mixed martial arts+gymnastics? Or... the extremely overplayed reuse of catch phrases as a form of foreshadowing.

I don't see how picking on the acting is so great when we consider what we are comparing against in the OT.. none of the heros roles in the OT are smooth or refined.

The battle sequences and genosis stuff in attack of the clones is fun.. the directing style of the battles to take you at 'ground level' was pretty cool for the level of realism given the CGI nature of it all. Revenge ties so much of the story back together.. liked all of it except for the very very end of it with the six million dollar man segment for Vader. They do a poor job connecting the old and new there IMO.

In a clean slate.. would the prequels establish a world dominating franchise like the OT did? No... but if released today I don't think the OT would either. It was a blend of timing, product, and market that made the starwars domination what it was.

Lets face it.. the starwars fans were out to hate Lucas from the get-go. After the special editions and his handling of releasing the OT without the changes... everyone was on edge. Add to that all the lack of trust in CGI and Lucas' insistence on all digital... traditionalists were on the defensive even before anything was shown. Then add in a character like jar jar that didn't go over well.. and you have a snowball effect that could not be stopped.

Add to that the stubborness from Lucas.. and you have the bitter divorce scenario where neither side is willing to give the other an inch and nothing can be seen in a positive light.

flynnibus

Premium Member
should add.. the stubbornness of Lucas to keep changing the product in ways that everyone sees as blatently bad.. (like NOOOOOOO) and that he keeps doing it and not offering the unaltered versions is what helps fuel the hatred IMO. I think if he simply offered 'directors edits' and the original theatrical releases... so much tension would disappear. But like the bad divorce analogy.. neither wants to capitulate.. and the escalation of hate continues.

G00fyDad

I had superman and return of the jedi bedding as a kid.. and I like the prequels for what they are.

Things like 'accents' didn't throw me.. or jar jar (could do without him.. but I don't think it ruined the trilogy).. but things like.. jedi battles moving from standing fencing type fights to... hyperspeed mixed martial arts+gymnastics? Or... the extremely overplayed reuse of catch phrases as a form of foreshadowing.

I don't see how picking on the acting is so great when we consider what we are comparing against in the OT.. none of the heros roles in the OT are smooth or refined.

The battle sequences and genosis stuff in attack of the clones is fun.. the directing style of the battles to take you at 'ground level' was pretty cool for the level of realism given the CGI nature of it all. Revenge ties so much of the story back together.. liked all of it except for the very very end of it with the six million dollar man segment for Vader. They do a poor job connecting the old and new there IMO.

In a clean slate.. would the prequels establish a world dominating franchise like the OT did? No... but if released today I don't think the OT would either. It was a blend of timing, product, and market that made the starwars domination what it was.

Lets face it.. the starwars fans were out to hate Lucas from the get-go. After the special editions and his handling of releasing the OT without the changes... everyone was on edge. Add to that all the lack of trust in CGI and Lucas' insistence on all digital... traditionalists were on the defensive even before anything was shown. Then add in a character like jar jar that didn't go over well.. and you have a snowball effect that could not be stopped.

Add to that the stubborness from Lucas.. and you have the bitter divorce scenario where neither side is willing to give the other an inch and nothing can be seen in a positive light.

I can respect all of that statement. I am something of a traditionalist when it comes to SW. However, I did go into the films with an open mind, and was extremely let down. Lucas has done nothing but attempt to kill the franchise lately and he is despised for it. I had actually lost all hope in anything good coming of the franchise, until this move by Disney. Now I have a new hope (Yes, pun intended) that the franchise can be resurrected. As long as they keep that crappy "comic relief" where it belongs. The cutting room floor.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can respect all of that statement. I am something of a traditionalist when it comes to SW. However, I did go into the films with an open mind, and was extremely let down. Lucas has done nothing but attempt to kill the franchise lately and he is despised for it. I had actually lost all hope in anything good coming of the franchise, until this move by Disney. Now I have a new hope (Yes, pun intended) that the franchise can be resurrected. As long as they keep that crappy "comic relief" where it belongs. The cutting room floor.

Well.. the comic relief worked well for R2+C3PO in the OT :)

When the prequels came out.. we all made a point to cut work together and go see the films. I have a group of guys in the office that are all +/- 10 years of each other that are all cut from the same cloth and we'd go see the films as they came out (we did it for the SEs too). I didn't come out of the theatre going 'eww'.. but I recall everyone going crazy when things like.. R2 starts flying.. Yoda goes ape@$% on duku.. or you have the battle on nabu. Nothing tops the anticipation when the 20th century march played.. and the lucasfilm logo came up for the first time for the films in decades. That put chills down my back.

But while I'm a fan.. I've always stayed away from being obsessive about it. I don't own any SW encyclopedias.. I've never been to a SW convention.. I do not own any SW cosplay gear.. etc. But I do have probably 4 different copies of the OT... I have a nearly $200 R2D2 lego kit stareing at me as I type this.. my home office has more lego flying around it... and I did have this poster on my wall for awhile :)
http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/aefe06a5

G00fyDad

Well.. the comic relief worked well for R2+C3PO in the OT :)

When the prequels came out.. we all made a point to cut work together and go see the films. I have a group of guys in the office that are all +/- 10 years of each other that are all cut from the same cloth and we'd go see the films as they came out (we did it for the SEs too). I didn't come out of the theatre going 'eww'.. but I recall everyone going crazy when things like.. R2 starts flying.. Yoda goes ape@$% on duku.. or you have the battle on nabu. Nothing tops the anticipation when the 20th century march played.. and the lucasfilm logo came up for the first time for the films in decades. That put chills down my back.

But while I'm a fan.. I've always stayed away from being obsessive about it. I don't own any SW encyclopedias.. I've never been to a SW convention.. I do not own any SW cosplay gear.. etc. But I do have probably 4 different copies of the OT... I have a nearly $200 R2D2 lego kit stareing at me as I type this.. my home office has more lego flying around it... and I did have this poster on my wall for awhile :)
http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/aefe06a5

I suppose that I just did not see them as comic relief. In any event, they are nowhere near as stupid and useless as JarJar Binks. I know that hatred for that character has been done to death, but I truly cannot stand that thing. Even the "cute" banter back and forth between C-3PO and R2-D2 in the prequels was rather ignorant at times.

I know. When you tell people that you're a SW fan they look at you like they're trying to imagine you in green face paint, large ears, and a Jedi robe camping out all night before a movie release.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know. When you tell people that you're a SW fan they look at you like they're trying to imagine you in green face paint, large ears, and a Jedi robe camping out all night before a movie release.

What a great segway for this classic piece...

"Which one of these buttons calls your parents to come pick you up..."
haha :)

I miss triumph :(

Ignohippo

Never said it wasn't. But it does reflect the opinion of the vast majority as well. ;)

I'm old enough to have seen SW in the theaters in '77 and have lived it like a religion ever since.

My buddies and I waited all night to get into the premiere of Ep1 – I honestly don't think it hit me at the time how bad the flick was. I had read the book the weekend before the opening, so I knew what to expect. I was dismayed that both Anakin and Qui Gonn were much younger in the movie than they were in the book. My girlfriend at the time was a buyer for a major department store and was given a peak of the movie about a year before it was released. She said Anakin was made that young for one reason: merchandising. It was a mistake.

I took my 7-year old to see Ep1 in the theaters when it was released in 3d. We'd seen it multiple times, but I thought it would be fun for him to see it in a theater. WOW! I had forgotten what a terrible, terrible movie it was. I cringed during the whole thing. I think it may have been one of the most uncomfortable movie experiences of my life. The 3d wasn't very good either.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like it is happening:

http://www.featurefilmcasting.com/2013/02/casting-for-walt-disney-studios-feature.html

It says that all three leads will be back in more mature roles. Lots of info there on that page.

It says the three main characters will be back, but so far only Ford has signed on, which is rather ironic since he has always been the one that seemed the least interested in revisiting his character and often distanced himself from Star Wars.

I'm old enough to have seen SW in the theaters in '77 and have lived it like a religion ever since.

My buddies and I waited all night to get into the premiere of Ep1 – I honestly don't think it hit me at the time how bad the flick was. I had read the book the weekend before the opening, so I knew what to expect. I was dismayed that both Anakin and Qui Gonn were much younger in the movie than they were in the book. My girlfriend at the time was a buyer for a major department store and was given a peak of the movie about a year before it was released. She said Anakin was made that young for one reason: merchandising. It was a mistake.

I took my 7-year old to see Ep1 in the theaters when it was released in 3d. We'd seen it multiple times, but I thought it would be fun for him to see it in a theater. WOW! I had forgotten what a terrible, terrible movie it was. I cringed during the whole thing. I think it may have been one of the most uncomfortable movie experiences of my life. The 3d wasn't very good either.

I feel Ep1 was the weakest of the 6 movies, but I have seen far worse movies. It has some cringe worthy moments, but it also had a lot of really good parts. I think it gets much more hate then it really deserves.

Dan

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm enjoying this debate over the prequels and have decided they need a new fresh viewing. I haven't seen them since they were first in theaters where I found them disappointing. However now that all the excitement and my childhood expectations are removed I can give them a second chance.

G00fyDad

If anyone wants to see a bad Sci-Fi film, check this out. I assure you after 5 minutes you will want to gouge your eyes out.

MY EYES!!!!!
8486570147_407a71ec6b_q.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The fact that Hamill has questions about the script and wants to know what he's getting into first speaks a lot about how he (and many others) feel about the prequels. They sucked and he doesn't want to attach himself to a further sinking property. Now, hopefully the script is great, and the focus is correct so he will join. Having Bad Robot on board doesn't hurt either. I still maintain that I have great hope for these new films by Disney. :D

On another note... when is the speculation going to start about the actual film names? ANH, ESB, RotJ, etc... Of course we need to know what the story will be about first, but how about Star Wars Episode VII: The Old Folks Republic?

You seem to be putting word in Hamill's mouth, all it says is that he has "questions" about returning and wants to know what Disney has in mind. It's your opinion that the prequels "sucked", which is not an opinion that everyone shares.

For titles, how about:

Return of the Empire
The Jedi Strike Back
An Old Hope

G00fyDad

It seems John Williams is interested in composing the music/score for SW Ep.7:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/ne...john-williams-wants-to-compose-new-score.html Of course, he said the same thing for HP 7.2, but they gave it to Alan Silvestri.

I truly hope Williams comes back on board. He composes some of the best scores out there. :D

For movie title suggestions: how about "The Fallen Hero" or "The Fellowship of the Force". Although @danlb_2000 titles sound better.

Fellowship sounds like Han and Chewie will be taking a ring somewhere. :( The Fallen Hero isn't bad, if they go with Luke going to the Dark Side.

disney fan 13

You seem to be putting word in Hamill's mouth, all it says is that he has "questions" about returning and wants to know what Disney has in mind. It's your opinion that the prequels "sucked", which is not an opinion that everyone shares.

For titles, how about:

Return of the Empire
The Jedi Strike Back
An Old Hope

I feel a really good name for it would be "The Truce At Bakura".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom