Disney Announces New Nature Resort on Bay Lake

briangaw

We did have permits already filed for work regarding this project. I am more surprised at the fact there was no Disney Parks Blog announcement but only a WDWnews press release.

Just the permits for the drilling are all that I have seen. That permit approval was in April but of course ridiculous 2021 end date. Yep announcement packaging didn't seem for the average Disney consumer mostly. The aggregated 1,700 room number and just the way the press release read was interesting to me.

...well...since you asked🤓...

I’m not really thinking about how forced this looks...or the preliminary bad design...or the continued trend to add DVC with no theming/imagination...

I’m thinking about the 900 rack rooms.
Why? Or to be more specific: how do you selll them?

As is pointed out often...the “deluxe” rooms are a hard sell and have been for at least 10 years...so why build more? The existing rooms have been steeply discounted through travel agents...like 50%. That’s not a fluke. Wilderness lodge was Half gutted for DVC in large part because they could no longer sell the rooms at $350 a night...

So why build more?

My theory is they’re changing the price...that could be why this thing looks so bland. I think the experiment is going on right now at Caribbean...

Build DVC and make the attached moderate “sub-deluxe” in the $300s.

Just a theory.

As far as announcement timing goes - they have to continue to announce new DVC...have to. Iger makes promises and then figures out how to cover up for them. No more apparent than with DVC.

I mean we have heard the rumors of dissolving the value, moderate, deluxe monikers. And perhaps this is a more gradual and longer term play over time to do that. However don't they usually hesitate to announce the next possible DVC prior to the opening and usually prior to getting the sales going on the most recently opened DVC right? Just seems interesting. Perhaps it is just hopefully that they cobbled together some early concept art to under promise and over deliver. However, as my favorite quote says, "hope is not a plan."

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
So for example in 2005, you could take your $20k, put it in a money market account, earn $1000 a year, and it would pay for half of your $2000 resort stay. Fast forward to 2015 and that $20k in a money market account would only earn you $50 a year,
Way off topic, but, man do these numbers stink. I wish I could pile all my son's money into treasury bonds at that kind of return. Instead, he has a low yield savings account(seperate from his 529). It's never going to be more money then the money we put into it. Bummer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Way off topic, but, man do these numbers stink. I wish I could pile all my son's money into treasury bonds at that kind of return. Instead, he has a low yield savings account(seperate from his 529). It's never going to be more money then the money we put into it. Bummer.

...probably because the entire financial/banking market is entirely manipulated crap now??

rashba99

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 3.03.55 PM.png

My point exactly!!

jt04

So since we already have two "nature resorts" - Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge" - the heck why we need a third?

Oy, how about a Castle-themed resort, like Legoland already has? Or anything related to fantasy?

just follow the signs until you reach Art of Animation.

jt04

So after careful consideration I think they are going with an 'arts and crafts movement nougat' in a Frank Lloyd Wright candy-coated shell.

Could work.

lazyboy97o

So since we already have two "nature resorts" - Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge" - the heck why we need a third?

Oy, how about a Castle-themed resort, like Legoland already has? Or anything related to fantasy?
Most of the resorts are nature inspired. Vernacular architectural styles are very much influenced by local conditions. The big issue with this design is that it does not seem to be inspired by anything more than a generic, contemporary style that loosely looks natural because it is clad in wood and stone.

Last edited:

Bocabear

So after careful consideration I think they are going with an 'arts and crafts movement nougat' in a Frank Lloyd Wright candy-coated shell.

Could work.
Where is anyone getting Frank Lloyd Wright? LOL... This building looks nothing like his work... It is just the angle of the Porte Cochere... nothing else even resembles it...and quite franly neither does the Porte Cochere... It just has a little bit of a modernist style... but hardly evocative of FLW's work...

Sir_Cliff

Where is anyone getting Frank Lloyd Wright? LOL... This building looks nothing like his work... It is just the angle of the Porte Cochere... nothing else even resembles it...and quite franly neither does the Porte Cochere... It just has a little bit of a modernist style... but hardly evocative of FLW's work...
It's such a long bow to draw! All I can think is that the wording of the press release echoes Wright's philosophy of organic design, so people are trying to project his influence onto a design that looks nothing like a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

The design is fine, but pretty bog standard hotel design with an exaggerated porte cochere out front. Disney's Bog Standard Resort might be a good name, actually, as it does reflect something of the swampy natural surroundings.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's such a long bow to draw! All I can think is that the wording of the press release echoes Wright's philosophy of organic design, so people are trying to project his influence onto a design that looks nothing like a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

The design is fine, but pretty bog standard hotel design with an exaggerated porte cochere out front. Disney's Bog Standard Resort might be a good name, actually, as it does reflect something of the swampy natural surroundings.

Yeah...they used to bother to call Graves, Stern and Dominick to design hotels...

Now they figured out it’s cheaper if you have Bob from The Oveido Lowe’s Concrete Section do it...

...Cash...under the table

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom