Disney Announces New Nature Resort on Bay Lake

Sir_Cliff

That too.

Think of the Grand Californian at Disneyland reimagined by Victor Horta, Audoubon and one of Rhode's ear rings. Plus some Disney pixie dust.

Or it will be inspired by a Sandlewood resort. Time will tell.
I've been to Victor Horta's house in Brussels, and I don't see anything in that concept art that reminds me of what I saw there.

Missing20K

That too.

Think of the Grand Californian at Disneyland reimagined by Victor Horta, Audoubon and one of Rhode's ear rings. Plus some Disney pixie dust.

Or it will be inspired by a Sandlewood resort. Time will tell.

This is a joke, right? You couldn't possibly know who he is and still think this building could ever possibly represent anything he ever did.

jt04

This is a joke, right? You couldn't possibly know who he is and still think this building could ever possibly represent anything he ever did.

I wouldn't expect many people thought the Contemporary had a giant Mary Blair mural when they first arrived. For example.

Missing20K

I wouldn't expect many people thought the Contemporary had a giant Mary Blair mural when they first arrived. For example.

What exactly is so surprising about having Mary Blair create a piece for the Contemporary Hotel built by her employer? Most of what I've seen of her work is modern and almost Cubist. Seems to fit pretty well to me.

Are you saying this "Nature" resort should have Audobon artwork in it? I wouldn't disagree with that, but what does that have to do with Horta? His work is in extreme contrast to the concept art released. Now if you would have thrown his name out in the Riviera or Coronado Tower threads, you may have had something, as they both seem to have such a vague, art nouveau pastiche look going on.

jt04

What exactly is so surprising about having Mary Blair create a piece for the Contemporary Hotel built by her employer? Most of what I've seen of her work is modern and almost Cubist. Seems to fit pretty well to me.

Are you saying this "Nature" resort should have Audobon artwork in it? I wouldn't disagree with that, but what does that have to do with Horta? His work is in extreme contrast to the concept art released. Now if you would have thrown his name out in the Riviera or Coronado Tower threads, you may have had something, as they both seem to have such a vague, art nouveau pastiche look going on.

I was just blue skying a possibility because I don't believe it will be themeless as some are claiming. Holiday Inn chic is nice but I think Disney holds itself to a higher standard. I get tired of negative propaganda.

Bocabear

I was just blue skying a possibility because I don't believe it will be themeless as some are claiming. Holiday Inn chic is nice but I think Disney holds itself to a higher standard. I get tired of negative propaganda.
It's not propaganda...Just pointing out facts and voicing disappointment when they de-furbish an area...And yes they seem to be on a roll of putting in fairly plain and pedestrian venues lately...Just a fact, not propoganda...

Missing20K

Ahh, ok. I understand. I'm not sure it will be "themeless", I just question the level and quality of theming when all that is released is an unnamed, "Disney's Insert Theme Word Here Resort" with no backstory, no real description of theme other than "Nature", and wildly underwhelming artwork.

I'd like to think Disney holds itself to a higher standard as well. After all, it's why we all go, it's why they have the premier themed entertainment destinations in the world, but some recent additions have been quite hit or miss for my taste. So it leaves me with little else but hope that these latest additions (from attractions, to rides, to transportation) will be hits rather than misses. And unfortunately, lately it seems, Disney's marketing lacks the understanding of why Disney is Disney, and instead play up nostalgia, "right of passage", princesses and pirates, space combat and cartoons. Not that all of that isn't a part of Disney and shouldn't be highlighted, but the Disney experience is/was/could be so, so much more.

jt04

Ahh, ok. I understand. I'm not sure it will be "themeless", I just question the level and quality of theming when all that is released is an unnamed, "Disney's Insert Theme Word Here Resort" with no backstory, no real description of theme other than "Nature", and wildly underwhelming artwork.

I'd like to think Disney holds itself to a higher standard as well. After all, it's why we all go, it's why they have the premier themed entertainment destinations in the world, but some recent additions have been quite hit or miss for my taste. So it leaves me with little else but hope that these latest additions (from attractions, to rides, to transportation) will be hits rather than misses. And unfortunately, lately it seems, Disney's marketing lacks the understanding of why Disney is Disney, and instead play up nostalgia, "right of passage", princesses and pirates, space combat and cartoons. Not that all of that isn't a part of Disney and shouldn't be highlighted, but the Disney experience is/was/could be so, so much more.

Yes, we agree. I do give them some leeway with that last part. I think a lot of that is testing before they commit billions. Current Jedi Academy vs SW GE for example.

As for the hotel, they had to say something due to earth moving. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Bocabear

Yes, we agree. I do give them some leeway with that last part. I think a lot of that is testing before they commit billions. Current Jedi Academy vs SW GE for example.

As for the hotel, they had to say something due to earth moving. I remain cautiously optimistic.
That is what everyone said about the Riviera...and it does look exactly like the concept art...sofar.
So I do think indeed the resort will be as pictured...maybe some of the finer details will change but the broad brushstrokes do not inspire...

Bocabear

Of course the size and shape looks the same as the concept art.
There were many that said the concept art was not even the building they were putting in, but just a placeholder until they had concept art...It clearly is the building, and clearly the concept art based on exactly what they are building...

peter11435

There were many that said the concept art was not even the building they were putting in, but just a placeholder until they had concept art...It clearly is the building, and clearly the concept art based on exactly what they are building...
I didn’t see anyone say that.

Maybe I missed it.

DisneyNeighbor

Couple of thoughts after mulling it over...

1. I truly hope they get "inspiration" from River Country for the pool area. Hopefully, making it a mini-water park like Stormalong Bay. 900 rooms sounds like a pretty sizable resort, so having a large/high quality pool area would be welcome. I would like it is they called the pool "the good old fashioning swimming hole" or something like that. If not, "Bay Cove" would work. This seems like an easy way to play on nostalgia and get some skeptics on board.

2. It would also be awesome if they could re-open Discovery Island in some capacity and make it an extended part of the resort. Not holding my breath in the slightest though.

3. back to 900 rooms... seems like a lot for a mid-rise resort. Wouldn't that have to be pretty sprawling? I would guess that if they expand the property that it would be built more toward the Wilderness Lodge, since the edge of Fort Wilderness (Tri-Circle D Ranch, Pioneer Hall) are basically right next to the old River Country plot.

4. Really curious as to how they will handle transportation. Do they just add more ferries or change the routes? Obviously buses for the other destinations; an interesting side effect of that is that it would make it easier for people on property to go to Pioneer Hall for Hoop Dee Doo because they could bus to this resort and then have a short walk.

5. Interesting that they are going for "nature" over "wilderness" - hope it actually fits the final product. And that the name is interesting unlike some of the reported options.

On the transportation side they should add steam trains to take guests around the north side of bay lake and drop them off near the contemporary. This would fit the theming perfectly. If they do it correctly this could be transportation for all three resorts.

jbolen2

On the transportation side they should add steam trains to take guests around the north side of bay lake and drop them off near the contemporary. This would fit the theming perfectly. If they do it correctly this could be transportation for all three resorts.

The boat transportation for the fort and wilderness lodge is already pretty slow as it is, the train idea would be neat but I see them adding 1-2 boats and calling it a day.

Bocabear

So it'll be called Disney's Discovery Lodge?

If so, then... Could it be somehow connected to Discovery Island (story-wise, that is)?
Discovery Island DVC.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom