Disney announces a new Four Seasons Luxury Resort and Golf Community

RiversideBunny

I have to agree with you. Two of my wife's cousins are worth an insane amount of money, and when they visit WDW they NEVER stay on property because it's not fancy enough for them. We try to tell them about the Grand Floridian, but they just don't want to hear it. It's a perception thing. This will bring them on property for sure.

Just curious- What do people like that think when they are in the parks mingling with ordinary folks. The park is the same to everyone.
Tks.
:)

Champion

I guess this is kinda what I was getting at - could the DVC at the Contemporary not really be DVC, but be a Four Seasons timeshare? Seems stupid I know, but I'm surprised that they would even let another timeshare come on property, no matter how upscale it may be.

No. The new tower at the Contemporary is Disney Vacation Club, plain and simple.

GHOST1000

:brick: In my opinion, just driving the wedge in deeper between the 'common man' being able to have a vacation the way Walt truly meant it and catering to the almighty dollar. Bottom line. Do we really need a $500+/night 'luxury' resort at disneyworld? Not really. If you want a luxury stay go to Hawaii or Paris. Not what Walt had in mind when he planned this.:fork:

Champion

:brick: In my opinion, just driving the wedge in deeper between the 'common man' being able to have a vacation the way Walt truly meant it and catering to the almighty dollar. Bottom line. Do we really need a $500+/night 'luxury' resort at disneyworld? Not really. If you want a luxury stay go to Hawaii or Paris. Not what Walt had in mind when he planned this.:fork:

If there is a market, and Disney isn't it in, then yes, we do need it. Why shouldn't Disney have rooms available to everyone?

Just because its there doesn't force you to stay there. It won't affect you staying at Pop at all.

Walt envisioned a place where families could go on vacation and have everyone have fun. What if the father wants to stay and play golf at the hotel?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I saw where Four Seasons was ranked number two in the nation for customer service behind USAA.

Appears Disney is partnering with an organization that has customer service as its top priority. I am sure that Four Seasons is also excited as now it will have an outlet on property for its own timeshare owners. I think this is a good thing.

I dont think this will have any affect on the "common man" that Walt so dearly loved.

lenshanem

No. The new tower at the Contemporary is Disney Vacation Club, plain and simple.

Do you think this new Four Seasons resort will have any impact on when they will officially announce and/or start actually building once demo is done?

I'm just wondering how much they can actually do onsite before they feel they are at a point it is time to fess up? :shrug:

Thanks!

Richie248

My thoughts have pretty much been shared by everyone else, but this is how I feel.

I think a Four Seasons was going to Orlando one way or another, and I say kudos to Disney for jumping at the opportunity to somewhat “partner up” with THE premier luxury hotel chain. For those of us lucky to have stayed at one of these resorts, it really is a breed of its own, and not easily duplicated or developed by anyone (including Disney). This is a great way to add first class luxury accommodations to their slate of other great resorts. Many have said they have no desire to stay at such a high-end resort, but there is a large market share that would only stay at a resort such as the Four Seasons, so if Disney can’t accommodate those people I think it’s great that they are involved with a hotel chain that can offer such amenities. I’d rather see it on or near Disney property than near its competitors.

And for those worried that this will be another Swan/Dolphin situation, I highly doubt that. To be honest the Four Seasons knows how to run and upkeep a resort better than Disney.

I think the final product of this property will be amazing and only add to what Disney has to offer. This is a great brand and they will be a perfect fit to Disney’s offerings, allowing them to capture a whole new share of the market.

Champion

Do you think this new Four Seasons resort will have any impact on when they will officially announce and/or start actually building once demo is done?

I'm just wondering how much they can actually do onsite before they feel they are at a point it is time to fess up? :shrug:

Thanks!

As someone said, Disney doesn't like to announce resorts until there is a shovel in the ground.

So probably, once demo is done, they'll bring out the fanfare. Remember they are still trying to sell AKL units right now.

Raidermatt

If there is a market, and Disney isn't it in, then yes, we do need it. Why shouldn't Disney have rooms available to everyone?

Just because its there doesn't force you to stay there. It won't affect you staying at Pop at all.

Walt envisioned a place where families could go on vacation and have everyone have fun. What if the father wants to stay and play golf at the hotel?

First, no, Disney does not need to go after every market out there. 2nd, Disney won't have rooms available to this market, the Four Seasons will. 3rd, WDW still has significant opportunity in its existing markets, but they are not willing to make the investment. Becoming a landlord (if in fact they don't outright sell the land) is simply easier.

But beyond that, what you're leaving out is that one of the benefits of WDW's size is that they were able to create a "bubble" and keep the outside world out. Over the years, they have slowly altered that philosophy, allowing many common brands on property. But this is easily the bisggest example of that change.

This type of thing DOES affect those staying at other resorts if they value that insulation from the outside world that WDW represents to them. The Four Seasons is a great brand, but there's nothing fantastical about it, and you see them on the outside.

You also asked about the difference between this and a company sponsoring an attraction. They are very different endeavors. With a sponsored attraction Disney still has the ability to maintain control. Sure, the sponsor has input, but Spaceship Earth does not become Siemen's Earth. HP/Compaq did not imagineer Mission:Space (though maybe they should have).

The S/D and now the 4S are very different in that Disney does not have the control. Sure, there will be certain agreements put in place, but The Four Seasons is going to run their resort as a Four Seasons Resort.

Champion

First, no, Disney does not need to go after every market out there. 2nd, Disney won't have rooms available to this market, the Four Seasons will. 3rd, WDW still has significant opportunity in its existing markets, but they are not willing to make the investment. Becoming a landlord (if in fact they don't outright sell the land) is simply easier.

As a publically traded company, yes, they do. They must try to create the best value for their shaireholders. That includes opening new markets. If Disney was going to stay stagnant and not try new businesses, new markets, and new partnerships, their stock price would plummet, and then they'd have no money to do anything else. If Disney wasn't looking at doing new things, I know I would consider selling my stock, despite my love for the company.
This is a partnership, and the Four Seasons is NOT going to be getting all the money from it. I don't have the terms, so I don't know what the split is, but its not 100% Four Seasons.
I don't understand your third statement here. This is the only segment they aren't really in yet. The high luxury segment. Everything else is covered, and with the WBP announcement as well, that covers the stuff below the values. They are also creating NEW segments between those, such as what they are doing with value suites.

But beyond that, what you're leaving out is that one of the benefits of WDW's size is that they were able to create a "bubble" and keep the outside world out. Over the years, they have slowly altered that philosophy, allowing many common brands on property. But this is easily the bisggest example of that change.

The point of buying 47 sq miles was to CONTROL what was built around the area. Yes, its a bubble. But that doesn't mean its 100% Disney inside it.

This type of thing DOES affect those staying at other resorts if they value that insulation from the outside world that WDW represents to them. The Four Seasons is a great brand, but there's nothing fantastical about it, and you see them on the outside.

And I see TONS of other things on the outside as well, including Disney and Disney hotels.

You also asked about the difference between this and a company sponsoring an attraction. They are very different endeavors. With a sponsored attraction Disney still has the ability to maintain control. Sure, the sponsor has input, but Spaceship Earth does not become Siemen's Earth. HP/Compaq did not imagineer Mission:Space (though maybe they should have).

So the incessant crap about AT&T inside Spaceship Earth never happened, right? And who said that Disney doesn't have input on this project? Oh wait, they DO. In fact, it was Disney who created the plan.

The S/D and now the 4S are very different in that Disney does not have the control. Sure, there will be certain agreements put in place, but The Four Seasons is going to run their resort as a Four Seasons Resort.

Again, you have no idea. Disney brought this plan to the Four Seasons and said "Would you like to do this?" not Four Seasons asking if they could. As I said before, there is more to this partnership then this property inside WDW. And the other parts will help with your problem with Four Season's "fantasicallity".

phichi17

Mixed feelings here on this new development....the negative side of me says they are chipping away at the magic piece by piece to satisfy the bottom line. The positive side of me looks at this as a logical expansion of the property. Apperently Disney believes that the tourism $ is growing and they are willing to accomodate it. This project and the WBP are both fairly long term deals. With that said, I can see mgmt expanding the parks (or even a fifth gate) to accomodate the increased crowds. While no new parks in the US has been stated, there was a timeframe given with that. It will be intresting to see what comes of that statement once these expansions are complete.

DisneyRoxMySox

I was looking at Google Earth satellite photos
to see where the Four Seasons property could
be located. Do we assume that the main hotel
building will be located within the woody areas
around the golf courses due east of Fort Wilderness.

It appears that there is some good sized areas
on the eastern shore of Bay Lake. Could this be
the future site of the Four Seasons "highrise" tower...?

The advantages of this location will be...

* Water transportation to MK and TTC

* MK Fireworks view across Bay Lake

Concerns and questions will be...

* Non-Disney property on great Bay Lake location

* View of Four Seasons "highrise" from Fort Wilderness
and monorail loop

Check out the satellite views of this site on Bay Lake.

What do you think...?

Wait. The resort is going on Bay Lake? Now I have a serious problem. Ruining the magic for money?

Champion

Wait. The resort is going on Bay Lake? Now I have a serious problem. Ruining the magic for money?

No, the course comes about 1/2 mile from Bay Lake.

The hotel part will be over a mile away.

The link below is basically centered (roughly on where the actual buildings will go.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...81.543746&spn=0.034353,0.06772&t=h&iwloc=addr

I'm assuming the buildings will go where the Bonnet Creek clubhouse is now, or in that area. Which means, as you can see, that all of Fort Wilderness is between this resort and Bay Lake.

tomm4004

I doubt the average guest will ever see The Four Seasons or even know that it's there. You already drive by outside hotels if you come in from Crossroads, see a giant McDonald's from another entrance, and see outside businesses like McDs, Planet H, Virgin Mega, etc. at DD. The Four Seasons appears it will be less intrusive by comparison. In fact, they will probably want to be secluded from the rest of the WDW guests.

phichi17

I doubt the average guest will ever see The Four Seasons or even know that it's there. In fact, they will probably want to be secluded from the rest of the WDW guests.
I would agree with that. I would guess a golf resort would be a low rise and very secluded.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The best place for golf and golfers is active firing ranges.

I take it this new up scale resort has a "master of the stool" or some such other fantastic feature not available at a Disney hotel?

wdwishes2005

Hmmm...I know it's a little early to be passing judgment on this, but I don't like it. If I read this right, they're building a Four Seasons hotel, timeshares, keeping one golf course, and adding another value hotel? I know having the Swan and Dolphin on property work, but I really don't like the idea of outsourcing hotels now. Are they going to provide transportation to and from the parks? Will it be Disney transportation or Four Seasons transportation? And I really don't like the idea of non-Disney timeshares on property.
Agreed. Swan and Dolphin works because Disney had a large part in the design. Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Disney outsource it after it was all planned? I think the non-Disney things on property are kind of tacky with the exception of Swan and Dolphin. I.E. the McDonalds.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom