Disney announces a new Four Seasons Luxury Resort and Golf Community

jmuboy

SLIGHT CORRECTION. The Western Way expansion will be located on DISNEY property but will be accessed from outside the WDW gates.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hmmm... let me re-read...

sounds off property to me:
VALUE-ORIENTED DESTINATION — MIXED-USE TOURISM DISTRICT
On the western edge of the resort, Disney is planning a mixed-use tourist commercial district just outside Disney's gateway entrance. The master-planned development is comparable in size to Disney's Animal Kingdom.
The project combines third-party branded lodging, retail and dining in a pedestrian-friendly environment and will be another example of Disney's commitment to unique placemaking. Located outside Disney's gateway around the interchange where Western Way meets the Western Beltway
But all this news is coming in so fast.... we havn't had this much excitement since...well, since the last exciting news.

Is it me, or does this sound very much like a variation of Val d'Europe at DLRP? Typhoon Guy; if you can email me a pic I can post it here without linking.

csmat99

Wow, you're so right. So are they gonna build a fifth gate to compensate for all these new hotels?!?

I don't feel good right now about what all I'm reading. I hope my gut feeling is wrong...:cry:

I agree I like have disney branded hotels on property but you can't deny getting Four Seasons is huge. It is one of the few premier hotel chains in the world. Why do you think Bill Gates and a Saudi Prince bought it. The timeshare there will not compete with DVC. Only a few will be able to afford to buy into their timeshare.

typhoonguy

Hmmm... let me re-read...

sounds off property to me:

But all this news is coming in so fast.... we havn't had this much excitement since...well, since the last exciting news.

Is it me, or does this sound very much like a variation of Val d'Europe at DLRP? Typhoon Guy; if you can email me a pic I can post it here without linking.
It mentions "outside the gates" but it's still on Disney Owned property. Kind of like we actually own the property south of the World Drive gate, but the gate is a few miles up from the bottom of our land ownings. Sometimes the fellow CMs in our department refer to gated property as "Disney Proper" and the ungated property as, well, "ungated". PM me your email address and I'll send the pic of placement that's on the portal.

tomm4004

I know having the Swan and Dolphin on property work, but I really don't like the idea of outsourcing hotels now.

Don't forget all of the hotels next to DD. Those have been there for years and they're on Disney property. There's also another private resort on Disney property (I forget the name) near OKW.

I thought that the area around the Osprey/Eagle was environmentally sensitive and that part of the appeal was their remoteness. Not anymore. In business terms, land without something on it is land not earning income.

typhoonguy

Don't forget all of the hotels next to DD. Those have been there for years and they're on Disney property. There's also another private resort on Disney property (I forget the name) near OKW.

I thought that the area around the Osprey/Eagle was environmentally sensitive and that part of the appeal was their remoteness. Not anymore. In business terms, land without something on it is land not earning income.
The private resort is Bonnet Creek. It's not actually land that is owned by Disney. it's the one parcel of land inside the 'gates' that was never purchased. Disney "eats" bonnet creek, essentially.

Incredibles

I've got to agree with the major sentiment on this board. I don't like having another out sourced hotel on property. Pop is sitting half finished as is. If they are that concerned about a new deluxe resort, why not use the old Venetian or Asian hotel ideas? Why not include the Imagineers? Why not keep 100% of that money in the Disney coffer? It just doesn't make sense. Obviously, for the announcement to already be made it is probably a done deal, but things just aren't adding up.

The value shopping area does make more sense. That side of the property could use some development. But how often would the average guest travel over that direction unless they are staying there? We already have DTD and Boardwalk, so it sounds like they are wanting this part of development to cater to non-Disney guests, ie. locals.

It all just doesn't seem to fit the entire "Disney Resort Destination" idea that seemed to be in place until 9/11. Four Seasons may be nice, but for the same price I'd pay for a Disney resort any day. Personally, I'd prefer a moderate or even value resort just so I can be emmersed in the whole Disney experience and forget the everyday world!

RiversideBunny

Seems like Disney will be competing with themselves somewhat for convention business.
The Contemporary and Coronado Springs and the Grand Floridian already are aming at convention business.
Now Four Seasons, too?

Too many resorts pushing the same thing.
:rolleyes:

MickeyTigg

Just to add another angle on this...seriously...how many hotel rooms are really needed? They can't even fill all they have now...which is why Pop isn't finished yet.

That location is so far from the the theme parks and other areas, who would stay there?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It all just doesn't seem to fit the entire "Disney Resort Destination" idea that seemed to be in place until 9/11. Four Seasons may be nice, but for the same price I'd pay for a Disney resort any day. Personally, I'd prefer a moderate or even value resort just so I can be emmersed in the whole Disney experience and forget the everyday world!

I think it's the high-end luxury product that Disney isn't able to duplicate. As much as we may love staying at a WDW Resort, it's honestly not comparable to a high end hotel in other areas. I mean -really- high end, which is what some guests/customers want.

Disney has been trying for the last few years to grow their "luxury" brand and that's where the rennovations of the resorts like the Contemporary and the Polynesian come from. Modern and sleek, away from kitsch and charming. They even changed shampoos and soap. I'm not making this up either, because I had to sit through a presentation about it when the Contemporary and Polynesian first began rennovations.

People, in general, do not see Disney hotels as a true luxury brand. The Four seasons, on the other hand, is another matter. Using the Four Seasons brand and creating one of their nicest hotels, and viola - you've got a true "luxury" resort on Disney property. It gains guests and their wallets.

Incredibles

I understand your point merf, but the fact remains that the Grand Floridian and Polynesian and still upscale resorts. They have all the amenities of upscale resorts with one additional thing going for them: theming. A top notch resort doesn't have to be dull and snobbish for it to be top notch.

Honestly, after seeing the rooms at Grand Floridian and comparing them to rooms at, say, a Four Seasons, there isn't that much difference.

But in the grand scheme, how much awake time does any guest actually spend in their room? Genererally, it is merely a place to sleep and rest up for the next park hopping day.

DisneyRoxMySox

I don't get why Disney would support competition in the area. I don't like any of these announcements.

If I see anything from inside the parks, I'm going to be pretty mad. All the news I hear is about competitors building resorts right outside Disney's door. It's all about business.

jmuboy

I am not really sold on this Four Seasons hotel yet. but one thing I do see are those wealthy people who take golf vacations staying here. Or maybe rich business men on work related travel who never plan to step foot inside a Disney park. These groups who would have previously stayed off-site now have an 'on property" option. In a lot of ways I see this place being like the Ritz in Half Moon Bay, CA (outside San Fran). It's a GREAT hotel, but not a real family friendly vacation place.

This new Four Seasons hotel will not be focused on the family....at least not the ones that usually stay at the Contemporary, WL, AKL, Poly, GF, etc.

CTXRover

With all the rooms already on and off property, I'm surprised that Disney would want yet another "outside" hotel, now directly in the middle of it all, as more competition to fill their own rooms. I'm sure it will be nice and will add a bit of luxury to the resort, but I wonder why they didn't decide to create their own luxury, niche hotel, especially given the recently announced plans to possibly create Disney-branded hotels outside of the theme park sites. My only guess is that it will provide a site on property for guests that don't necessarily want to stay in a "Disney-branded" hotel and thereby keeping them from looking at other "outside" luxury hotels. I imagine the master plan is to make sure that every base is covered in getting more people to stay on property and never leave property while there (which is where the Western Way project comes in).

Champion

The Western Beltway project is ON property. It is OUTSIDE the welcome sign, but it is still on WDW land.

The deal with Four Seasons has more to do with other things that are yet to be announced then the rebranding (and rebuilding) of the Bonnet Creek Golf Resort. You have to give some to get some. Few more months, maybe less, and they'll do the announcement of the other parts of the partnership. The deal, for Disney, is not about getting this resort built.

Edit: Some parts were not vague enough. Removed them.

typhoonguy

Just to add another angle on this...seriously...how many hotel rooms are really needed? They can't even fill all they have now...which is why Pop isn't finished yet.

That location is so far from the the theme parks and other areas, who would stay there?
Well, not so true, but kind of. No, the resorts are not at peak 365 days per year, however they have hit peak levels the past 2 quarters for over 90% of room nights or higher. Not to mention pop isn't finished as they wait for the ASMu family suite test phase to finish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom