Disney announces a new Four Seasons Luxury Resort and Golf Community

dcibrando

I'm not sure why most people are so upset about this announcement.. I think this is a GREAT idea to expand Disney into new areas!

Many guests would like access to a grocery store/supermarket...now they'll have one or maybe 2. Downtown Disney is limited in my opinion...this will be Downtown Disney on steroids! This will draw some people to mark a day off just to explore this area.

Another perk I can see is the 4-Seasons being able to host a lot of business conventions rather than have a lot of them offsite... this way their guests will have a better chance at spending money at Disney.

not sure what to think about the expansion of timeshare and value lodging though will have to wait on that.. but good things are happening at Disney... they can't just keep building parks...they need to expand into new ventures just like the Disney Mobile which I think is briliant (my wife has it and it is so perfect for families w/ GPS tracking, etc.).

Good thing all the Disney "fans" crucified Eisner. He ALWAYS had the best interest of the company at heart. The current regime, can we say we know that?

Not *all* Disney fans.

So, does this new plan stand in contrast to what Eisner wanted for the future development of resorts at WDW?

Champion

Not *all* Disney fans.

So, does this new plan stand in contrast to what Eisner wanted for the future development of resorts at WDW?

Eisner loved the hotels, and getting the money staying on property. But according to DisneyWar he hated how the Swan & Dolphin deals went.

Like I said, there is more to this then what was announced today. I'd imagine Eisner would have approved it because of that.

As far as the Western Beltway property (need something to call it, I can't believe they didn't even have an official name); I don't know if he would have done that. He would have had PC finished before putting all those rooms in, thats for sure. I'd like to have had more information on what exactly is going in, such as shops and restaurants.

One of the plusses of these projects is the huge number of new jobs it creates. Thats always good.

Gatorboy

I'm not sure why most people are so upset about this announcement.. I think this is a GREAT idea to expand Disney into new areas!

Many guests would like access to a grocery store/supermarket...now they'll have one or maybe 2. Downtown Disney is limited in my opinion...this will be Downtown Disney on steroids! This will draw some people to mark a day off just to explore this area.

Another perk I can see is the 4-Seasons being able to host a lot of business conventions rather than have a lot of them offsite... this way their guests will have a better chance at spending money at Disney.

not sure what to think about the expansion of timeshare and value lodging though will have to wait on that.. but good things are happening at Disney... they can't just keep building parks...they need to expand into new ventures just like the Disney Mobile which I think is briliant (my wife has it and it is so perfect for families w/ GPS tracking, etc.).
It does seem to me people are again jumping the gun before all info is out. There has to be a strong reason why the Four Seasons was shifted from its original Disney agreement over in Celebration to onsite. Maybe the fact a Waldorf is planned to be built at the Reedy Creek Resort prompted using a brand name to counter. AS for the Western property development, I see it as similar to what they did when they build the crossroads shopping center, eventially dropping the property out of the RCID. It looks like it is on the opposite side of the beltway and it will atleast buffer the resort with a Disney designed area.

sconti

I thought maybe I would play devil's advocate here as most are not happy with the "Four Seasons" announcemnet:

1.) The relatively new Grande Lakes property (Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott), inbetween WDW and the airport, has proven that a high-end, convention driven resort can succeed in the Orlando marketplace. So, Disney is simply saying to themselves that they need to tap into that opportunity. They'd be fools not to. They want their piece of that pie.

2.) It is much easier and cost effective to bring in the Four Seasons to satisfy this niche market. Designing and implementing an idea that is out there with Imagineering is exponentially more expensive for the Disney Co. to launch.

3.) Golf drives big corporate business. Add that to a very well received brand like the Four Seasons. Plus, the convention aspect. And, what you have is a no-brainer for the Disney Co. on this one. They are not trying to satisfy the die-hards that frequent web sites like this one. They are trying to grow revenue, profit and marketshare.

4.) On a personal note, as someone who likes fine dining and "resorty-hotel" bars and lounges, I think it's going to be quite awesome to hop over to the Four Seasons for a nice meal and maybe some drinks before or afterwards. I love California Grill, Jiko, Flying Fish Cafe, Citricos, etc., but I would love to have a new choice or two in that arena within WDW.

5.) Lastly, it's important for people on this website to understand and realize that Disney Co. is a business. If they take care of their business, that will drive funds towards improving existing theme parks, introducing new rides, introducing new parks and so on. If they do everything cutesy Disney all the time, then they might not get to where we all want them to be. Or, at a minimum, maintain what we already have.

Disney is at a point with their WDW property where they need to identify niche markets that they haven't necessarily tapped into yet. They need to do this to continue to do what they've done all along. With this in mind, some announcements, projects and ideas that pop up are going to go against the grain of what we are used to. But, it may be necessary to insure that the place we all love stays as great as it's been all along.

Caio.

niteobsrvr

I have been waiting for this move for quite a while. As labor costs continue to increase and the constant cries about outsourcing, it only makes sense that Disney puts their efforts into other ventures where they can be isolated from the future costs of labor and development. In exchange, I am sure the land lease they have negoatiated is very favorable to DIsney and allows for a good profit with none of the overhead.

I would assume that if this proves successful you will see other existing resorts and new developments co-branded as well. In addition who better to work with to develop other regional hotel destinations? One of the biggest mistakes corporations often make is to assume because they have the captial resources that they can be successful at any endeavor they choose.

Further, the babyboom generation doesnt have kids, they have grand kids. Grandma and Grandpa can stay at the 4 Seasons while mummy, daddy, and the brood spend their time at a child friendly resort. Disney currently cant serve that market with exisitng facilities cause there are children everywhere. It might be a family distination, but familes are becoming a much more rare commodity as the baby boomers continue the march to retirement and they are looking for different types of relaxation as their lifespan is considerably longer and health considerably better than previous generations.

Finally a concept most people arent aware of that has been going on for years now is that most coprorations are brand managers. THeir products are made by the same company that makes their competitors products as well. It looks to me that Disney has found a way to apply this concept to resorts.

lenshanem

Where do the rumors of DVC at the Contemporary fall now? Does any of this new news make any difference in anyone's predictions?

Gaston

Bay Lake location...?

I was looking at Google Earth satellite photos
to see where the Four Seasons property could
be located. Do we assume that the main hotel
building will be located within the woody areas
around the golf courses due east of Fort Wilderness.

It appears that there is some good sized areas
on the eastern shore of Bay Lake. Could this be
the future site of the Four Seasons "highrise" tower...?

The advantages of this location will be...

* Water transportation to MK and TTC

* MK Fireworks view across Bay Lake

Concerns and questions will be...

* Non-Disney property on great Bay Lake location

* View of Four Seasons "highrise" from Fort Wilderness
and monorail loop

Check out the satellite views of this site on Bay Lake.

What do you think...?

socalkdg

Where do the rumors of DVC at the Contemporary fall now? Does any of this new news make any difference in anyone's predictions?
I'd say it makes it even more likely DVC goes to the Contemporary. Eagle Pines has been rumored as a DVC spot and the good news is it won't be now.

culturenthrills

The Four Seasons project doesn't really bother me but I can't even imagine how much those rooms are gonna be. The Western Way project though is really the finally nail in the walmarting of WDW. And when the hell are they gonna finish the rest of Pop Century? I just don't see where the demand for these rooms is gonna come from. All it really is gonna do is put even more outside hotels out of business but I guess that is the plan. Disney wants to control every part of the market from the poor all the way up to the ultra-rich.

flscooman

. Another apartment complex is also less than a mile south of Western Way adjacent to AK. You can see it from the Western Way exit on 429.[/quote]
That is actually part of Orange Lake Country Club off of 192 . It's a timeshare.

I'd say it makes it even more likely DVC goes to the Contemporary. Eagle Pines has been rumored as a DVC spot and the good news is it won't be now.

We disagree, we believe it makes the Eagle Pines DVC resort more likely. No matter which article you read on this, each article states that a "Vacation home", "Fractional Home Ownership" or "Timeshare" will be included in the plans. With DVC being in the top 3 each quater for corporate revenue percentage (Check the SEC Qrtly. filings), we find it hard to believe that Disney would allow someone else to get in the game on thier property. As all DVC members know, DVC doesn't like to truly announce anything until a "shovel is in the ground". All DVC members come on here and we all speculate on what is next, when all we really do is just that, speculate. We are DVC members and avid golfers, we would love to see the Eagle Pines DVC resort go forward. :sohappy:

lenshanem

We disagree, we believe it makes the Eagle Pines DVC resort more likely. No matter which article you read on this, each article states that a "Vacation home", "Fractional Home Ownership" or "Timeshare" will be included in the plans. With DVC being in the top 3 each quarter for corporate revenue percentage (Check the SEC Qrtly. filings), we find it hard to believe that Disney would allow someone else to get in the game on thier property. As all DVC members know, DVC doesn't like to truly announce anything until a "shovel is in the ground". All DVC members come on here and we all speculate on what is next, when all we really do is just that, speculate. We are DVC members and avid golfers, we would love to see the Eagle Pines DVC resort go forward. :sohappy:

I guess this is kinda what I was getting at - could the DVC at the Contemporary not really be DVC, but be a Four Seasons timeshare? Seems stupid I know, but I'm surprised that they would even let another timeshare come on property, no matter how upscale it may be.

lenshanem

Also, given the announcement of the DVC sales center in Chicago (And are we looking at more centers in other locations soon???) I'm surprised they just don't go ahead and officially announce DVC at the Contemporary??? What is the hold up? Would it really be so bad to have two (or three if you count what is left at SSR) to offer when selling?

It is aggravating to me they just don't go ahead and officially announce CRV when they are announcing all this other crap. I mean we've all seen the pics of the demo happening. :shrug:

mhochman

I mean -really- high end, which is what some guests/customers want.

People, in general, do not see Disney hotels as a true luxury brand. The Four seasons, on the other hand, is another matter. Using the Four Seasons brand and creating one of their nicest hotels, and viola - you've got a true "luxury" resort on Disney property. It gains guests and their wallets.

I have to agree with you. Two of my wife's cousins are worth an insane amount of money, and when they visit WDW they NEVER stay on property because it's not fancy enough for them. We try to tell them about the Grand Floridian, but they just don't want to hear it. It's a perception thing. This will bring them on property for sure.

Rayray

I'll put my vote against this property rearrangement. I don't like the idea of WDCo. using precious property for outside resorts, even if it is as coordinated as this. WDW was built so that seclusion from the outside world could set in for the guests. This will just be one more thing that takes away from that perspective. (What I really can't believe is how close this real estate deal is to the heart of the resort[magic kingdom area]). I hope they can keep it out of sight.

I don't think the people in charge of this decision know what they are doing, other than making money. They've got to realize that the best decision for the company does not always involve the most immediately cost-effective decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom