DISNEY and your DNA

luv

I wouldn't expect the people that are actually employed by Disney to know as much as the guests anyway.
Thanks.
You can't blame them. People they trusted told them that, so they told you.

Not everyone has seen these machines that actually can scan the inside of your body and wouldn't know how big they are. IMO, most people - especially young people! - shouldn't need to see them. :)

Now that I think about it, why any of us thought minimum wage Disney staff was able to read a bone scan, I don't know! I never thought of that before, though, lol. I get copies of all my reports and they're always signed by doctors, lol.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Frankly, it wouldn't suprise me if half the machines were broken, and simply a psychological ploy.

I remember the first time I ran the FOH for a national chain, and the company had a national suggestive sale contest (600+ locations at the time). They had four categories...Cotton Candy sales, Extra Cheese Sales (it was a pizza place), Souvanier Cup Sales (we called them Promo Cups, and they were a 99 cent upgrade from a regular cup and offered lifetime free refills), and $20 token deal sales (you got $30 worth of tokens for $20)...

So...after two weeks of failing trying traditional upsell methods such as making sure my cashiers said stuff like "Sir, would you like to upgrade your drinks to a Souvanier cup for only 99 cents?" like all the other 600 stores were doing...I decided...screw that.

So, I did a few things.

First, for extra cheese, I just had my cashiers start adding it to every pizza after the menu spiel (long story as to how I trained them to make that worked, but it involved guiding the guests through the menu, rather than waiting on them to blankly stare at it until they ordered), and then saying something along the lines of "Awesome choice. I'm gonna add extra cheese to that, because it makes it taste even better!". Vs...begging for their upgrade (and, it wasn't dishonest, it really did make the pizza taste better). Of course, if a guest asked the price, you divulged it, and if they didn't want it, you removed it. It had to be done in a conversational way, otherwise it comes off insulting and rude... Very hard to explain on an internet forum without a role play...

Second, for cotton candy, I took it out from behind the counter, and every 30 minutes or so had serverswalk the floor with a small display, specifically targeting those who were close to the end of their meal. Since there were tradeoff prizes attached (like comp movie tickets and comp dinners from other entertainment managers I made relationships in the area with) it was an easy sell to my mostly elder teenage / young "adult" staff... They'd sell it for 2 bucks a pop (a bit of loss when it was actually rung into the register for taxes, but not bad on a product that was nearly 85% profit, after labor cost to produce it fresh twice a day, I hated selling or repackaging old Cotton Candy, it just doesn't taste right)...

Within three weeks we had pulled into the top 20 of the entire company even though we were in the bottom third of total sales. Our "addons" were amazing...

But, I had trouble with the last two. And came up with another idea for those.

We gave out coupons that advertised the same deals that were available on the menu...but gave them out at the greeters (Kid Check) station.

I ganked some images from online (back in 1998) and printed my own coupons off my ink jet at home and had them cut in bulk at Kinkos using their bulk cutter.

Every guest that came in got two coupons that stated, with a nice little graphic, "For ONLY 99 cents you can get drinks for LIFE!" and the other said "LESS MONEY, MORE FUN, $30 in Tokens, for only $20". Both said "Redeem at Cashier".

That kicked us over the top, and we landed 3rd in the entire company...competing against stores that had 4 times out volume at the time, and coming from a store they were considering closing.

Anyhow, no real point here...I just took a trip down memory lane.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The fingerprint thing I used at work did light up. It also showed us our fingerprint in a little picture and highlighted the spots it used in red (if our fingerprint didn't match the data stored) or green (if it did.)

However, they worked about as well as Disney's and would sometimes not know our fingerprints were really ours. I hope they do this better at the U.S. Mint and Fort Knox. ;) :)

I've worked at a few places that require fingerprint scanners...

Not many I've seen are as flashy as that (though I have seen a few)...most are "press and guess", as my coworker calls our current SOC audited Datacenter (it's a joke...as they have a faulty scanner on the third door that rarely works, which means it does NOT grant entrance)...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Frankly, it wouldn't suprise me if half the machines were broken, and simply a psychological ploy.

Oh, and now I remember my point!

People are easily fooled with gimmocks.

I bet you if I installed flashing LEDs on every stall at WDW, and told you that your finger was being scanned to prevent ticket fraud, for a long while, the masses wouldn't test it. And when one did, it would still stay largely underground...

If it every got out, I'd just change up my security standard to some other sort of security theater...

Goofyernmost

They lied.

I am actually having bone problems and have had tests for bone density, etc. They do several things, but the machines that do scans are much bigger than the fingerprint machines, lol.

Disney has finally admitted that they are storing fingerprints, so all that "They're tiny little bone scanners!" stuff can stop now. :)
Not saying this isn't true about storing fingerprints, but I am curious about where that information came from and when Disney admitted it. This is the first I've heard about it.

luv

I don't know when. It's been quite a while. And I got my info from a Disney low/mid-level manager. He was told (and he didn't know if it was true, so I certainly couldn't, lol) that they had to start telling the truth, for legal reasons.

They came up with some ridiculous name for it, but I forget what.

I'm sure if you dig for it, you'll find info about tickets and fingerprints. :)

bubbles1812

How did I not see this gem of a thread yesterday?! Me thinks the OP may have missed some things in middle school science if he doesn't understand that a finger print does not equal DNA. Yikes. And I mean I knew the Mouse was evil, sitting in that back room laughing over his money ;), but I don't think he cares about the fingerprints

fosse76

Disneyland has started taking pictures of each guest when their buy their multi-day tickets. When you swipe your ticket your picture comes up on a screen.
And as someone who has been to Disneyland a few times in the past year, it's aggravatingly slow. Especially for the people in line who already their photo associated with their admission media.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
And as someone who has been to Disneyland a few times in the past year, it's aggravatingly slow. Especially for the people in line who already their photo associated with their admission media.
That's to bad. Any idea if it takes as long or long then the finger scans at WDW.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's to bad. Any idea if it takes as long or long then the finger scans at WDW.

Yes. A lot longer. Once you are in their "System" it's not so bad (like if you have park hoppers)...but, they have to line your face up "just so" for the picture, so every few people in line they may have to do it a few times.

Also, if you are new, I've seen it fail. This past trip my friend got pulled out of line and we had to wait off by the side while they closed one of the turnstyles for the CM to go grab a manager to "override" her picture...

It took about 10 minutes just to get through the turnstiles at Disneyland.

So...yeah...MUCH longer and more aggrevating than WDW.

JIMINYCR

Um...last I checked...fingerprints are not DNA. And the little old lady working the gate at Magic Kingdom isn't exactly collecting hair samples, skin shavings or pricking fingers to collect blood.

No, not the little old lady working the gate at MK... But...:eek: now I'm going to be worried that the cleaning staff at my resort is collecting hair samples, finger nail clippings and skin shavings that I am leaving behind in my sink. No wonder they take so long... are they cleaning or collecting? Do we really know what is on those cleaning cart shelves? I bet they are filled with DNA collecting sample containers. :eek: And whats really going on behind those doors labeled CM staff only? DNA Medical laboratories I bet...;)

MOXOMUMD

Maybe he's not worried about what they'll do with his fingerprint but what he can get away with if they dont have it? Just saying...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom