Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Atomicmickey

Weird thoughts . . .

What if it's just negotiations about how to split the pie if Universal builds more?
Disney can take nice royalty checks, Uni can build E-tickets.
What if it's something crazy like them co-designing an attraction, Uni has it in
Fla., Disney has it in CA?

I mean, it's all about money, right? Businesses can come to agreement if there's
cash to be made.

FWIW, I would love to ride any superhero attraction, but I don't care about a park,
and don't want Marvel in WDW in any substantial way. Most superhero action takes
place in the Metropolis/Gotham type environment and I don't care to be immersed
in fake 'actual' city much. I suppose there are superhero environments that would
be cool, like (hey what about DC?) the Batcave or the Fortress of Solitude.

Personally, where Marvel ends up on the East Coast, I'd just as soon it be at Uni.
And on the West Coast, third park. Not in DL. My 2 cents.

gmajew

20b is a bit crazy.
Just pulling numbers out of my butt- 1.5b at HS, 1.5-2b at MK, and 5-7b at epcot.
Epcot is really the only unrealistic expectation of what needs fixed at WDW. But that's on them- they've let it get into the ridiculous state of disrepair it is currently in.

But ponder on that root problem. ~10b just to get Disney to where it should be. And people would want to throw Marvel on top of that? Id rather have some tremendous attractions across town in 3 years than the dream of an attraction in 15 years.

My kiddos are too little for Uni- but I cant wait until they are :)

I was being tongue and cheek in my comment, but if you factor in what they are currently doing and spending in AK the number is not that far off. As HS needs way more then 1.5.

gmajew

If they didn't get lazy and let the parks get stale or in disrepair, they wouldn't have so much to do at all at once. I feel like doing all of those things are reasonable expectations for the next 5-10 years, even though we all know it won't happen.

I don't disagree but I don't think the parks are as bad as everyone else says. I feel WDW is one park in the mind of most people. HS and AK are good half day parks now. I feel Epcot is good rides need work but the countries are what they are suppose to be and will be that ain't changing.

Food and beverage sales are way to big in that section to make a change.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Disney as a company has sufficient capital (and access to much more) to fund, if desired, projects the size of Avatar-land at every park simultaneously. That's not to say that it would necessarily be a smart thing to do (or that the capital markets wouldn't penalize the stock price if it happened). But if corporate management thought it WAS a smart thing to do, there'd be no problem having the capital to do it.

Much more indeed, I've seen the numbers but I probably can't and won't say more. Though it is typical for a company like them to have direct access given their good credit ratings.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Befote I bow out for a while, just want to make it crystal clear that when I was told of these possible developments in 2014, it was made clear to me that Hulk might be changing to a more popular Avenger and getting all new track, but same layout. Since then, I was told Hulk theme would likely stay. I am not sure what this will wind up being.

You can also take it to the bank that MSI will be getting a pair of new Marvel attractions, one very large scale, in addition to the work on the coaster.

And none of this means Hulk meet and greet and grunts are coming to Epcot, sorry fanbois.

Can they do anything to make The Hulk not rattle my brains each time I ride? Not that they have to, I love the ride but I don't think my head can handle it anymore. It is almost an instant headache for the rest of the day :(

PhotoDave219

Can they do anything to make The Hulk not rattle my brains each time I ride? Not that they have to, I love the ride but I don't think my head can handle it anymore. It is almost an instant headache for the rest of the day :(

Strange as it sounds, that's the smoothest coaster for me in Orlando.

And I've been told to stop riding coasters by doctors. (Which I have)

BrianLo

Befote I bow out for a while, just want to make it crystal clear that when I was told of these possible developments in 2014, it was made clear to me that Hulk might be changing to a more popular Avenger and getting all new track, but same layout. Since then, I was told Hulk theme would likely stay. I am not sure what this will wind up being.

Maybe they have.

Well, 2/3 of them anyway.

So before I try and read too much in between the lines.

1) @marni1971 hasn't said so explicitly, but this has absolutely nothing to do with WDW, correct?

2) Was the "deal" between Disneyland proper and Universal Orlando to 'pretty-please' not change the Hulk into Iron Man, as they wanted to create their own coaster in DCA? In a trade for giving the go-ahead on using more of the MCU movie depictions at IOA?

PhotoDave219

So before I try and read too much in between the lines.

1) @marni1971 hasn't said so explicitly, but this has absolutely nothing to do with WDW, correct?

2) Was the "deal" between Disneyland proper and Universal Orlando to 'pretty-please' not change the Hulk into Iron Man, as they wanted to create their own coaster in DCA? In a trade for giving the go-ahead on using more of the MCU movie depictions at IOA?

1) correct. The speculation of DHS related comes from the author of the blog post.

2) I have no idea

Mr. Peabody

So, the facts:
  • Universal can build new Marvel attractions if they want. The only situation in which Marvel could reasonably reject a proposal from Universal is if the Universal proposal does not represent the characters appropriately. Otherwise, Marvel can't a reject a Universal proposal, as long as Universal is consistent with Marvel's style guides in their use of the characters. (See Section I, Part B and Section VI, Parts B-C of the Marvel-Universal contract)
  • Continuing from the previous bullet point, Universal is free to use the comic book depictions of the Marvel characters in Orlando. However, there is a grey area regarding the use of the MCU versions of the Marvel characters at UOR. In response to this post, @marni1971 wrote a reply implying that Marvel and Universal have addressed or are addressing this issue going forward.
  • Universal's exclusivity over the use of Marvel characters east of the Mississippi River does not expire (see Section IV, Part B of the Marvel-Universal contract). Many of the popular characters are either currently in use or in the same family (e.g. The Avengers) as a character currently in use by Universal, which means that the language describing "shrinkage" of Universal's exclusivity in the region does not apply to them.
  • Two of our insiders (see [1] and [2]) have told us that there is a good chance that Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA will receive upgrades and/or additions (in the medium-to-long term).
  • Despite the OP and the thread title, Marvel is not coming to WDW.
Feel free to correct me if you see anything wrong with this list.

Now, editorial time, here's my opinion:
If Marvel and Universal have had any recent discussion about theme parks, it is probably about Marvel's upgrade plans for Super Hero Island. I can't speak to the likelihood of MCU elements appearing in UOR. But, I think we are far more likely to see MCU elements be permitted in UOR than we are to see Disney get the Marvel rights for WDW. Note that I am not including Sony or Fox in any of this discussion. I don't expect to see any elements from Sony's and Fox's Marvel adaptations in UOR. Universal would have to make separate agreements with each studio to do that, which seems unlikely. So, don't expect to see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in UOR, either.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Since Disney owns Marvel, they have been keeping Universal to very high standards in attraction upkeep costs the some money. Plus they will not let them update the rides or add any new ones which would require Marvel permission. Universal comcast has a lot of new IP that they own and probably are thinking to switch over for complete control.

Also, possible Harry Potter expansion again, Skull island is on the table...etc.

They can't upgrade or add anyhting Marvel without permission from Marvel. Which they won't get. Hence the stagnation of the rides and the walk around characters costumes.

Per the contract they had to upgrade Spidey to keep the rights. Plus the walkaround characters costumes also had to be updated to stay within the contracts demands. Uni paid Disney to design the new costumes.
None of this is true. you'd do better to not just make stuff up hoping to save face.

jt04

Never thought Marvel would be as big as it has become for Disney so I can see why Uni would want to hold on to the lucrative property at this point. However it does sound like anything is possible.

As long as IOA keeps mailing those royalty checks to the mouse it is all good I guess.

Of course Uni could always get a decent price for DDFF from some enterprise on Sand Lake road too.

doctornick

If Marvel and Universal have had any recent discussion about theme parks, it is probably about Marvel's upgrade plans for Super Hero Island. I can't speak to the likelihood of MCU elements appearing in UOR. But, I think we are far more likely to see MCU elements be permitted in UOR than we are to see Disney get the Marvel rights for WDW. Note that I am not including Sony or Fox in any of this discussion. I don't expect to see any elements from Sony's and Fox's Marvel adaptations in UOR. Universal would have to make separate agreements with each studio to do that, which seems unlikely. So, don't expect to see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in UOR, either.

The only thing I would say is it wouldn't surprise me is Disney received some smallish concessions from Comcast in return for (maybe?) allowing for MCU images to be used. In particular, I think the biggest thing Disney would ask/fight for would be the ability to use the Marvel name in the parks and/or advertise the films with previews or the monorail wraps. Relatively minor concession from Uni, but something that would be big for Disney as they advertise their movie division.

Imagineerwannabe

Never thought Marvel would be as big as it has become for Disney so I can see why Uni would want to hold on to the lucrative property at this point. However it does sound like anything is possible.

As long as IOA keeps mailing those royalty checks to the mouse it is all good I guess.

Of course Uni could always get a decent price for DDFF from some enterprise on Sand Lake road too.
So, the facts:
  • Universal can build new Marvel attractions if they want. The only situation in which Marvel could reasonably reject a proposal from Universal is if the Universal proposal does not represent the characters appropriately. Otherwise, Marvel can't a reject a Universal proposal, as long as Universal is consistent with Marvel's style guides in their use of the characters. (See Section I, Part B and Section VI, Parts B-C of the Marvel-Universal contract)
  • Continuing from the previous bullet point, Universal is free to use the comic book depictions of the Marvel characters in Orlando. However, there is a grey area regarding the use of the MCU versions of the Marvel characters at UOR. In response to this post, @marni1971 wrote a reply implying that Marvel and Universal have addressed or are addressing this issue going forward.
  • Universal's exclusivity over the use of Marvel characters east of the Mississippi River does not expire (see Section IV, Part B of the Marvel-Universal contract). Many of the popular characters are either currently in use or in the same family (e.g. The Avengers) as a character currently in use by Universal, which means that the language describing "shrinkage" of Universal's exclusivity in the region does not apply to them.
  • Two of our insiders (see [1] and [2]) have told us that there is a good chance that Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA will receive upgrades and/or additions (in the medium-to-long term).
  • Despite the OP and the thread title, Marvel is not coming to WDW.
Feel free to correct me if you see anything wrong with this list.

It feels like we are no where further forward than we were 10 pages ago. We have just come full circle on understanding more on the contractual details but come to no major conclusions. I think this sums up what my understanding is too mr Peabody.

I guess a few people here know more than they can spill news about, but we are largely speculating about any possible agreements/new attractions/upgrades/updates/changes etc etc which may or may not occur soon or further into the future...it seems anything is theoretically possible...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom