Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe the deal TWDC is willing to strike requires them to keep that silly little ride open and unimproved. It's hard for UNI to take the high hand with WDW about Dinorama with Doom on it's campus.
Oh, it's an option. There's several ways this whole thing could play out. Leaving Doom in-situ is part of one of the options

Dice50

You are only asking about 20b for the project.... I agree all that would be real nice but realistic expectations would be better.

How about a master plan for all the parks. Maybe they have one and our experts know about it but don't let us in on them.

If they didn't get lazy and let the parks get stale or in disrepair, they wouldn't have so much to do at all at once. I feel like doing all of those things are reasonable expectations for the next 5-10 years, even though we all know it won't happen.

Mr. Peabody

I'm not a lawyer or versed in contract law, so my understanding of this comes from merely reading the contract without knowing the finer points. The way I see it is this:

-Disney, while in charge of Marvel, is contractually obligated to act reasonably in regards to Universal's proposals for new attractions based on Marvel's characters.
-Universal presents a redo of Superhero Island to Marvel brass, who give their stamp of approval. Possibly due to Universal agreeing to drop all Fantastic Four and X-Men references from the redone land to stick it to Fox.
-Disney has no desire to allow this to go down, but under the wording of the contract has no real way of stopping it, so they approve it.

In the end, Universal gets to redo a land that needs it, Marvel gets a shiny new advertising area in a theme park, and Disney isn't happy, but can't do much about it. Hence 2 out of the 3 parties are satisfied.

Not quite. The first point is correct. The second would not happen with Disney saying OK, because Disney controls Marvel. So unless a Marvel employee/exec were acting without approval from TWDC, Marvel wouldn't OK unless Disney Ok'd the Ok-ing.

But because of the first point, Disney/Marvel couldn't object if the Uni proposal was reasonable.

I didn't mean for my point to mean that Marvel gives the final say, just that they're satisfied with the new plans, sorry.
Ok, now I'm up to speed. Thanks to you both.

lunchbox1175

I completely disagree. They get to use an incredible current and trendy IP. Harry Potter was great for them- and that's Warner Brothers.
Universal Theme Park's primary concern is getting people in the gates. If they have control of an IP that uses that- why not use it?
How is it a loss?
I'm not saying they shouldn't use the ip's, i am saying they are at a disadvantage. While it is true that HP has been great for them, they get the benefit of Daniel Radcliffe and Co going to UNI every year and celebrate something to do with the ride and area built and using their likeness. You don't see bilboards with the Book Artwork up on the highways. UNI wouldn't get the chance for RDJ and Co to do the same thing.....personally, i think it is a major disadvantage as people associate things with movies more than books, be they comic or novel. Every generation is different.....use the Bond or Batman analogy, for me, Roger Moore and Michael Keaton are my guys, but to my kids, its Daniel Craig and Christian Bale. I feel over the long term, as more and more cinematic versions are developed, the characters associations get further and further away from their book character, and i feel like its harder for a company to have a "brand recognition" for a ride, if they don't have the most popular or current version of it. I just keep imagining little kids going up to captain america in his comic book suit and saying you're not him. Also, they only have control of the IP in Florida or "East of the Mississippi". Disney can do whatever they want outside of that, if they ever decided to build another set of parks, say in Texas (pipe dream), they would be able to use the cinematic versions, which then there is a comparison between the two versions. While UNI's would probably be a little more "Thrill" ride, Disney's version would probably end up being more themeatic (in my opinion). Then they might be viewed as having an inferior attraction. I know this is a lot of speculation, but just how i feel about it.

Mike S

Whether that's true or not is irrelevant. The movie versions are the definitive look for most people.
Yup. Even though I hate some of the movies compared to the books (looking at you, Half Blood Prince) the movies visuals are what I've always known considering that my first exposure to the series was seeing the first movie in a theater.

doctornick

Yup. Even though I hate some of the movies compared to the books (looking at you, Half Blood Prince) the movies visuals are what I've always known considering that my first exposure to the series was seeing the first movie in a theater.

My one comment on this is that I think using the movie visuals was appropriate and great for Uni. But I do think that they should have avoiding using the specific characters from the movies and focused the attractions more on "visiting the wizarding world" without HP and his friends specifically. Just IMHO and I think others would disagree, but stuff like Hogwarts Castle, Hogsmede and DA are all impressive as places without specific characters placing them at a certain time. With using the actual movie characters, they do somewhat date the attractions and they might appear less timeless in the future as the actors age in real life.

Wikkler

My guess for the MSHI revamp (summer-fall 2018):

1. Island renamed Avengers Island (all X-Men and Fantastic Four theming will be removed, only Avengers/MCU related characters will be included)
  2. Hulk gets a massive upgrade (immersive queue, updated queue videos, LED lights, more fog, skyscrapers/buildings for the track to weave around, Hulk projection effect similar to Revenge of the Mummy)
  3. Streetmosphere show along the lagoon themed to Captain America
  4. Avengers/Iron Man E-ticket to replace Doom and Carnage warehouse
  5. Spider-Man gets minor upgrades, possibly an Avengers-related storyline
  6. Storm Force Acceleration upgraded and rethemed to Thor (enclosed, Thor/Loki AAs, strobe lights, fog, additional wind effects, wraparound screen to simulate a storm outside)
  7. Facades will be fleshed out to look like an actual city (similar to Springfield USH, DM USH, and Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade)
What you think is going to happen ≠ What you want to happen

Captain Neo

Fantastic Four is being cancelled due to low sales though not providing a free advertisement for FOX is an added bonus/incentive for them

GrumpyFan

As much as I would "like" to see Marvel (characters/attractions) at WDW, I really don't see this happening anytime soon, without Disney just doing a complete buyout of the contract at Universal. This can happen one of two ways, 1) Universal offers to sell out of the licensing, 2) Disney decides to buy out and throws a gob of money at them. For either of these to happen though, Disney first needs a unique concept attraction/land/park to build and market to the public in order to make it worthwhile. Having something like this would help guarantee a return on their investment.

From an investment perspective though, why would Disney do this? They're making money off Universal's use of the characters, and don't have to invest capital to keep it up to date. I think it's in their best interest to simply allow Universal to keep the licenses for Florida, continue to draw interest and royalties, and perhaps even work with them on further enhancing the attractions by selling them concepts and plans they're building elsewhere. I know it sounds crazy, but based on what I've seen and read of the contract, Disney doesn't really have a way out of it, unless Universal simply decides they're done.

articos

I'm not a lawyer or versed in contract law, so my understanding of this comes from merely reading the contract without knowing the finer points. The way I see it is this:

-Disney, while in charge of Marvel, is contractually obligated to act reasonably in regards to Universal's proposals for new attractions based on Marvel's characters.
-Universal presents a redo of Superhero Island to Marvel brass, who give their stamp of approval. Possibly due to Universal agreeing to drop all Fantastic Four and X-Men references from the redone land to stick it to Fox.
-Disney has no desire to allow this to go down, but under the wording of the contract has no real way of stopping it, so they approve it.

In the end, Universal gets to redo a land that needs it, Marvel gets a shiny new advertising area in a theme park, and Disney isn't happy, but can't do much about it. Hence 2 out of the 3 parties are satisfied.
Only certain entities within TWDC may or may not be unhappy. Others are perfectly fine with the arrangement. Any publicity is good publicity, as long as the guest goes away with a smile on their face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom