Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

FrankLapidus

I agree it is timeless but I highly doubt that the millennial generation has watched the original Star Wars trilogy. I would bet that they are much more in tune with anything in the MCU than the original Star Wars trilogy. The special effects technology is just too aged for anyone currently in college or younger to be able to watch. If younger kids do know anything about Star Wars, it is most likely from the recent Disney series "Star Wars: Rebels" or the older Cartoon Network "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" animated series.

I would happily bet that the opposite of that is true. The special effects have aged too much for modern pre-college audiences? Sorry, that's just bizarre. Lucas has gone back and tampered with the effects more than once since they were originally released and in any case, the orginal effects still hold up very well.

In the event you're right, any I don't think you are, the new trilogy will introduce that new generation to Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca and the rest and as soon as they walk out of The Force Awakens, the original trilogy will be there waiting to enthral and entertain them and take them back to where it all began.

But, unless the milennial generation have spent their lives living under a very, very large rock which has stopped them having any access to a TV, the internet or contact with anyone who has seen the original trilogy, the majority of them will already be very familiar with those characters and the events that have led up to this exciting new era in the saga. And I'm sure many of them will be amongst the millions like myself waiting in line to be the first to see the new film.

dvitali

Seem to me that Disney is a "Hand Off" company. They allow ABC, ESPN,Marvel and Luca Films to run their own business otherwise it would be named American Disney Channel, Disney Sports, Disney Publishing, disney films. I believe Disney IS NOT making a new deal with Universal but I believe that Marvel IS making and renewing the deal with Universal. Disney do not care that Marvel is allowing Boom Comics to publish Uncle Scrooge , Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse comics. Only Marvel wanted back the Star Wars comic line.

lazyboy97o

Seem to me that Disney is a "Hand Off" company. They allow ABC, ESPN,Marvel and Luca Films to run their own business otherwise it would be named American Disney Channel, Disney Sports, Disney Publishing, disney films. I believe Disney IS NOT making a new deal with Universal but I believe that Marvel IS making and renewing the deal with Universal. Disney do not care that Marvel is allowing Boom Comics to publish Uncle Scrooge , Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse comics. Only Marvel wanted back the Star Wars comic line.
There is no renewing of the deal with Universal. It lasts forever.

dvitali

Or until Universal want more 2015 movie merchandise instead of 1970 versions of the characters. Universal want a new deal with Marvel and Marvel is playing hardball to get something good in return. I believe Universal want merchandise deals for the Sony and Fox movie version of Fantastic Four, X-men, Spiderman.

lazyboy97o

Or until Universal want more 2015 movie merchandise instead of 1970 versions of the characters. Universal want a new deal with Marvel and Marvel is playing hardball to get something good in return. I believe Universal want merchandise deals for the Sony and Fox movie version of Fantastic Four, X-men, Spiderman.
Universal is under no such restrictions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Universal can sell any Marvel merchanside they want to, they do not need a new deal for that. Universal holds pretty much all the cards in this deal, there isn't much Marvel could give them that they don't already have.

dvitali

We know that Marvel is not approving any new movie version merchandise of the twenty years olds Fantastic Fours including the Human Torch. And after Secret Wars Peter Parker will replace by Miles Morales in the All New Avengers and in Amazing Spiderman comics. Sony is returning Movie rights for Spiderman back to Marvel after Civil Wars next year. Maybe I am wrong about the X-men but I have not seen any new movie merchandise after the last several movies.

lazyboy97o

We know that Marvel is not approving any new movie version merchandise of the twenty years olds Fantastic Fours including the Human Torch. And after Secret Wars Peter Parker will replace by Miles Morales in the All New Avengers and in Amazing Spiderman comics. Sony is returning Movie rights for Spiderman back to Marvel after Civil Wars next year. Maybe I am wrong about the X-men but I have not seen any new movie merchandise after the last several movies.
Sony is not returning any film rights. Universal doesn't create the merchandise and they're not goin to care what Marvel is producing. Character changes are completely irrelevant.

asianway

This hurt my eyes to read

ProfSavage

A very wise woman once said "You Know Nothing, Jon Snow"

dvitali

Sony is not returning any film rights. Universal doesn't create the merchandise and they're not goin to care what Marvel is producing. Character changes are completely irrelevant.
Disney and Universal is selling item from 1970s that can be found in any gift shop in America for under a buck. My comic book shop sell the latest higher price items from Marvel and DC both in store and online. Bet I will do more business than either of them.

lazyboy97o

Disney and Universal is selling item from 1970s that can be found in any gift shop in America for under a buck. My comic book shop sell the latest higher price items from Marvel and DC both in store and online. Bet I will do more business than either of them.
Disney and Universal aren't selling anything together. If Universal is displeased with their sales they can get different merchandise. The contract doesn't limit Universal to certain items, just official ones.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

I would happily bet that the opposite of that is true. The special effects have aged too much for modern pre-college audiences? Sorry, that's just bizarre. Lucas has gone back and tampered with the effects more than once since they were originally released and in any case, the orginal effects still hold up very well.

In the event you're right, any I don't think you are, the new trilogy will introduce that new generation to Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca and the rest and as soon as they walk out of The Force Awakens, the original trilogy will be there waiting to enthral and entertain them and take them back to where it all began.

But, unless the milennial generation have spent their lives living under a very, very large rock which has stopped them having any access to a TV, the internet or contact with anyone who has seen the original trilogy, the majority of them will already be very familiar with those characters and the events that have led up to this exciting new era in the saga. And I'm sure many of them will be amongst the millions like myself waiting in line to be the first to see the new film.
I mean you could be right. Btw I meant to say Generation Z. It is hard to gauge the popularity amongst the younger audiences. I just felt that in this day of over-the-top IMAX 3-D digital special effects, the under-25 demographic would not be interested in a special effects sci-fi movies from the late-70s early-80's. I may be wrong and would be interested in any supporting facts for either stance. Just my opinion and I definitely agree that the new Star Wars trilogy will re-ignite the interest similar to that of (but on a much grander scale) Star Trek's recent resurgence. I brought this theory up as a reasoning for why WDW did not previously capitalize on the Star Wars IP post-Star Tours as there was a post stating that Disney owned some of the licensing rights but was just too lazy to do anything with it (not even sure if they really did own the licensing rights until recently). I guess I was just trying to say that the current popularity of Marvel is much greater than what Star Wars has been in the last 10-15 years so there would be much more to gain from capitalizing on the Marvel IP (if it was at all possible, which it is not) than there would have been from expanding Star Wars theming sometime in the last decade in WDW. Different story now with the new trilogy and I can see the Star Wars expansion happening. FYI I am a huge Star Wars fan so not demeaning the franchise in any way.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I mean you could be right. Btw I meant to say Generation Z. It is hard to gauge the popularity amongst the younger audiences. I just felt that in this day of over-the-top IMAX 3-D digital special effects, the under-25 demographic would not be interested in a special effects sci-fi movies from the late-70s early-80's. I may be wrong and would be interested in any supporting facts either way. Just my opinion and I definitely agree that the new Star Wars trilogy will re-ignite the interest similar to but on a grander scale of Star Trek's recent resurgence. I brought this theory up as a reasoning for why WDW did not previously capitalize on the Star Wars IP post-Star Tours as there was a post stating that Disney owned some of the licensing rights but was just too lazy to do anything with it (not even sure if they really did own the licensing rights until recently). I guess I was just trying to say that the current popularity of Marvel is much greater than what Star Wars has been in the last 10-15 years. FYI I am a huge Star Wars fan so not demeaning the franchise in any way.

Appropriately enough, here's today's "Penny Arcade":

i_f_G5_QG2b_1050x10000.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom