Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

GLaDOS

If you say so. I thought they owned more than that...

I mean, Universal owns quite a bit of IP, but those three are the ones that have the biggest earnings potential for a theme park and the box office. They're all accounted for, or will be accounted for, in the parks already. My point was there's nothing they have that they'd jump at just to dump Marvel. Marvel is a cash cow.

Progress.City

Actually the model of the future would be Disney going direct-to-consumer and cutting Comcast out entirely. See Sling TV for "phase one" of that structure. ESPN is probably the biggest player in the evolving TV landscape since live sports are the only "DVR-proof" content out there and are therefore the only place left of value for advertisers.
You still need an Internet provider. Steve Job's vision (which Apple is pursuing under Cook) is to make the cable and telephone companies simply internet providers - utility companies with data pipes.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's good for Disney because they get the licensing fee and cut of the merch from Uni without having to do anything. Low risk, high reward, what every executive loves.
And Universal gets people through the doors for those wanting to ride the Marvel-related attractions. Win-win for them too.

Progress.City

I mean, Universal owns quite a bit of IP, but those three are the ones that have the biggest earnings potential for a theme park and the box office. They're all accounted for, or will be accounted for, in the parks already. My point was there's nothing they have that they'd jump at just to dump Marvel. Marvel is a cash cow.
There was another license that Uni is rumored to be negotiating for... L.O.R.

GLaDOS

There was another license that Uni is rumored to be negotiating for... L.O.R.

Which isn't going to happen. The theme park rights for Middle Earth are still controlled by the Tolkein Estate, and they're far too protective to give them up. The Estate hates the movies for being too populist, there's no way in hell they sign off on a theme park.

And even then, why would they get rid of the Marvel land for LOTR when they can get rid of the land based on cartoon characters no one's cared about since the 1960s right next door?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's good for Disney because they get the licensing fee and cut of the merch from Uni without having to do anything. Low risk, high reward, what every executive loves.
But they already get the licensing fee and their cut of the merch. Marvel's presence at Universal already ensures that. I'm talking about the impact of something new and wonderful at Universal. That'll draw guests away from Disney and towards Universal without any increase to that licensing fee and minimal increase in merch sales.

You still need an Internet provider. Steve Job's vision (which Apple is pursuing under Cook) is to make the cable and telephone companies simply internet providers - utility companies with data pipes.
You won't need an Internet provider for long. The LTE network is already strong enough (though admittedly not widespread enough) to replace most Wifi application and whatever the 5G network looks like will make traditional internet distribution obsolete. That's why the whole net neutrality debate was so stupid. It's going to be irrelevant in five years anyways.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But they already get the licensing fee and their cut of the merch. Marvel's presence at Universal already ensures that. I'm talking about the impact of something new and wonderful at Universal. That'll draw guests away from Disney and towards Universal without any increase to that licensing fee and minimal increase in merch sales.

I agree with this a major new Marvel attraction at Uni doesn't really help Disney much if at all.

Disneyhead'71

On what planet is this a good thing for Disney? The only (material) thing they get from Marvel is box office and this isn't going to move the needle on the box office one bit. The downside to the parks business is far from offset by any minuscule upside on the media or consumer products sides.
Heathly licensing fee, tons of exposure, merchendise profits, and a $100 million Avengers attraction that Disney doesn't have to build. Disney could get X-Men and Fantastic 4 removed and Universal can get...
the_avengers-wide.jpg

Progress.City

You won't need an Internet provider for long. The LTE network is already strong enough (though admittedly not widespread enough) to replace most Wifi application and whatever the 5G network looks like will make traditional internet distribution obsolete. That's why the whole net neutrality debate was so stupid. It's going to be irrelevant in five years anyways.
Yes, but that's expensive unless you have an unlimited data plan. You would still need a line for each TV and it can't stream 4K 3D. LTE is good for the hand helds and wireless devices but you need a much bigger pipe (fiber to the curb) to the home to handle multiple 4K 3D video streams with 11-channel uncompressed surround sound on each.

Disneyhead'71

Actually the model of the future would be Disney going direct-to-consumer and cutting Comcast out entirely. See Sling TV for "phase one" of that structure. ESPN is probably the biggest player in the evolving TV landscape since live sports are the only "DVR-proof" content out there and are therefore the only place left of value for advertisers.
What, is Disney gonna snail mail it to them?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Heathly licensing fee, tons of exposure, merchendise profits, and a $100 million Avengers attraction that Disney doesn't have to build. Disney could get X-Men and Fantastic 4 removed and Universal can get...
the_avengers-wide.jpg
They already have those things. I agree that the status quo arrangement is beneficial to both parties. I think that a brand new, Potter-caliber Marvel land would be disproportionately beneficial to Universal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So "Potter Phase 3" is a Marvel overhaul. Disney is taken behind the woodshed and is powerless to do anything as Comcast beats them over the head with their own IP.

Brilliant.
Not really. More like Marvel Phase Two.

Potter Phase Three will be something else.

Yes, it is brilliant. And quite funny in some ways, like you said, being beaten over the head with their own IP.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yes, but that's expensive unless you have an unlimited data plan. You would still need a line for each TV and it can't stream 4K 3D. LTE is good for the hand helds and wireless devices but you need a much bigger pipe (fiber to the curb) to the home to handle multiple 4K 3D video streams with 11-channel uncompressed surround sound on each.
What percentage of the population is streaming multiple 4K 3D video streams with 11-channel uncompressed surround sound? Zero. Not "practically zero." Actually zero. Nobody is even making 4K 3D content, let alone anyone actually trying to watch it. I doubt most people's eyes can even perceive a difference between 1080P and 4K on any screen smaller than IMAX.

Progress.City

What percentage of the population is streaming multiple 4K 3D video streams with 11-channel uncompressed surround sound? Zero. Not "practically zero." Actually zero. Nobody is even making 4K 3D content, let alone anyone actually trying to watch it. I doubt most people's eyes can even perceive a difference between 1080P and 4K on any screen smaller than IMAX.
What percentage had HD and surround sound 20 years ago?

You need the higher resolution to make 3D work better. This is why James Cameron waited to make the Avatar sequels.

Disneyhead'71

Exactly, that's what I've been saying. My question is whether those kinds of discussions have occurred -- and if so, what was negotiated -- or was this just Comcast/Uni saying "these are our plans" and Disney/Marvel saying "that meets the requirements and you can proceed". Not that we would necessarily get the details if the former were the case, but it would be interesting if someone would be able to say that they were more complex than simply approving IoA plans.

One other big factor that could be part of any negotiations would be the film distribution rights for The Hulk and Sub-Mariner, which are apparently still shared in some way by Universal.
I believe that there may have been some interesting negotiations going on. And when MSHI's extreme make over is done, the people saying that Marvel is going to be ripped from Universal's hands are going to be speechless. Just spit balling here, but stuff like MARVEL Guardians of the Galaxy at DHS and IOA getting
SHIELD_Logo_01.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom