Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

GLaDOS

But do you get what I am saying about PotC? If those attractions are popular, WDW guests will be flooding Town Hall filing complaints, like they did in the early 70's when there was no Pirates. Disney would be pressured to negotiate an alteration of the deal.

By the time any ride opens in Disneyland, a new ride and an upgraded Superhero island will be open in islands of Adventure.

Your dedication to your dreams is impressive, though.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But do you get what I am saying about PotC? If those attractions are popular, WDW guests will be flooding Town Hall filing complaints, like they did in the early 70's when there was no Pirates. Disney would be pressured to negotiate an alteration of the deal.
Unfortunately not. Universal Studios did not exist in the 70s and neither did the internet. Instead of flooding Town Hall with complaints, they'll rent cars and drive to Universal.

Which is why I cannot fathom for the life of me why Disney would allow this. It makes NO sense to the prevailing business strategy at WDW. The entire point of their strategic operational plays (Dining Plan, Magical Express, and Extra Magic Hours chief among them) is to keep guests on property at all costs. The cost to Disney of a guest who chooses to venture off property even once is astronomical because that guest now has a rental car and is free to stay off site, eat off site, buy groceries, etc. Instead of a "Potter Swatter" this would be Disney signing on the dotted lines while Universal builds ANOTHER Potter.

Progress.City

By the time any ride opens in Disneyland, a new ride and an upgraded Superhero island will be open in islands of Adventure.

Your dedication to your dreams is impressive, though.
I don't actually believe that this will happen, unless Disney makes another Pirates-like classic out of a Marvel license. It's possible, but the odds are not worth betting over. I'm just throwing it out there to stir the pot.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Because they have no ability to deny it, for starters.
Then what's all the talk about "Disney and Universal working towards a deal" yada yada. I was under the impression that the contract protects what they already have but functionally gives Disney veto authority on anything new. Is that not the case?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Then what's all the talk about "Disney and Universal working towards a deal" yada yada. I was under the impression that the contract protects what they already have but functionally gives Disney veto authority on anything new. Is that not the case?

No, that is not the case. Uni can build new as long as the follow the character guidelines.

Progress.City

Unfortunately not. Universal Studios did not exist in the 70s and neither did the internet. Instead of flooding Town Hall with complaints, they'll rent cars and drive to Universal.

Which is why I cannot fathom for the life of me why Disney would allow this. It makes NO sense to the prevailing business strategy at WDW. The entire point of their strategic operational plays (Dining Plan, Magical Express, and Extra Magic Hours chief among them) is to keep guests on property at all costs. The cost to Disney of a guest who chooses to venture off property even once is astronomical because that guest now has a rental car and is free to stay off site, eat off site, buy groceries, etc. Instead of a "Potter Swatter" this would be Disney signing on the dotted lines while Universal builds ANOTHER Potter.
I'm assuming that whatever Disney does with the Marvel licenses, WDI will create attractions that are unlike anything Universal has to offer, especially anything that is Marvel-related.

GLaDOS

No, that is not the case. Uni can build new as long as the follow the character guidelines.

Right. The veto power is there to ensure the Marvel characters are treated with respect, as well as the attractions meet the current theme park standards.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That still brings me back to my first question. What deal is there that needs to be negotiated/worked out? It sounds like Universal has free reign.

Right. The veto power is there to ensure the Marvel characters are treated with respect, as well as the attractions meet the current theme park standards.
Yeah I get that piece. You can't make a Black Widow themed strip club at CityWalk. Can't have Spider-Man murdering babies. Stuff like that.

lazyboy97o

Marvel must give reasonable approval. Reasonable is an established concept, not whatever. The contract also has guidelines for what is to be done, which is that Universal has to do projects well and stick to how characters are established.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That still brings me back to my first question. What deal is there that needs to be negotiated/worked out? It sounds like Universal has free reign.

Yeah I get that piece. You can't make a Black Widow themed strip club at CityWalk. Can't have Spider-Man murdering babies. Stuff like that.

As far as we know, there is nothing to be worked out and the original article was in error.

Disneyhead'71

Stuff like using MCU likenesses. And Disney's request to remove X-Men and Fantastic 4. And having ABC logos inside an NBC owned park.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So "Potter Phase 3" is a Marvel overhaul. Disney is taken behind the woodshed and is powerless to do anything as Comcast beats them over the head with their own IP.

Brilliant.

GLaDOS

I'm lest knowledgeable about that than others on the site seem to be. Possibly that Marvel wanted Fantastic Four and X-Men references gone in order to sign off on the new plans? I'm not sure.

doctornick

That is what I wanted to know and asked previously. Is there some sort of new "agreement" in the works or was this simply some rubber stamping that Disney/Marvel did saying that Uni's plans meet the requirements. The way some talked about it, it seemed like there was some sort of negotiation going on that was finalized (or in the process of being finalized).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom