Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Progress.City

WDI can do whatever they'd like. It'll still never be built in Orlando.
Chill with the Orlando part of this. What I am saying is that WDI has an interest in making sure its products stand out over the competition. They will not duplicate Uni's versions, or do anything like it. Like the Haunted Mansion is uniquely Disney - other haunted mansions in other theme parks are just not the same. So, people won't be able to go to Uni to experience Disney's Marvel attraction. They will go to Uni to experience Uni's Marvel attractions. Orlando will be void of Disney's Marvel experience until the license is modified.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That is what I wanted to know and asked previously. Is there some sort of new "agreement" in the works or was this simply some rubber stamping that Disney/Marvel did saying that Uni's plans meet the requirements. The way some talked about it, it seemed like there was some sort of negotiation going on that was finalized (or in the process of being finalized).

There are things Disney could negotiate for if they wanted to. For example they could ask for the rights to use the Marvel name in connection with attractions based on characters that Uni doesn't have the rights to. They could also ask for the rights to certain character that are covered under the family clause, but which Uni isn't using in a significant way. Of course to get any of the things they would have to offer something in exchange.

Progress.City

There are things Disney could negotiate for if they wanted to. For example they could ask for the rights to use the Marvel name in connection with attractions based on characters that Uni doesn't have the rights to. They could also ask for the rights to certain character that are covered under the family clause, but which Uni isn't using in a significant way. Of course to get any of the things they would have to offer something in exchange.
This is what I've been trying to say!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Hahaha.

See, that's how Disney fans see it.
I'm not sure how my admiration for a successfully executed business strategy on Universal's part is evidence of "how Disney fans" see things. Universal is leverage an existing contract to take advantage of a global box office sensation for which Disney spends hundreds of millions of dollars promoting. It's absolutely brilliant.

Progress.City

And Comcast has other valuable licenses they own or have rights to that they could exploit. They don't have the luxury of land like WDW does, so something will need to make way for those!

H2O_Mouse-Ears

That is what I wanted to know and asked previously. Is there some sort of new "agreement" in the works or was this simply some rubber stamping that Disney/Marvel did saying that Uni's plans meet the requirements. The way some talked about it, it seemed like there was some sort of negotiation going on that was finalized (or in the process of being finalized).
I don't think the "Disney and Universal Negotiation" is accurate. I don't believe Disney has any veto authority in regards to non-MCU related areas in Universal theme parks and I don't see this ever changing unless Disney offers a ridiculous amount of money (like an insane amount).

GLaDOS

And Comcast has other valuable licenses they own or have rights to that they could exploit. They don't have the luxury of land like WDW does, so something will need to make way for those!

Okay, I'll take the bait, I'm bored. What would those be?

Fast & Furious? Already planned to go into Universal Studios Florida replacing the San Francisco area.

Despicable Me? Already in Universal Studios Florida.

Jurassic Park? Already in Islands of Adventure.

Universal doesn't have anything left that needs a whole land that can match the earnings potential Marvel has.

Disneyhead'71

I'm not sure how my admiration for a successfully executed business strategy on Universal's part is evidence of "how Disney fans" see things. Universal is leverage an existing contract to take advantage of a global box office sensation for which Disney spends hundreds of millions of dollars promoting. It's absolutely brilliant.
Universal isn't bludgeoning Disney with their own IP. It is a win-win for both of them.

Progress.City

But I think @danlb_2000 is trying to point out that Disney DOESN'T really have anything to offer. They can say "we want this, that, and the other thing," but what do they have to offer in return when Universal can already do (pretty much) whatever they want? Unless it was straight cash.
Disney controls about a third of all the cable networks (as well as one of the big broadcast networks). Disney and Comcast need each other's services in order to distribute that content. They negotiate every X number of years on retransmission, distribution, and licensing of that content. Disney can sweeten a future deal in exchange for an amendment to the Marvel license.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Universal isn't bludgeoning Disney with their own IP. It is a win-win for both of them.
On what planet is this a good thing for Disney? The only (material) thing they get from Marvel is box office and this isn't going to move the needle on the box office one bit. The downside to the parks business is far from offset by any minuscule upside on the media or consumer products sides.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
On what planet is this a good thing for Disney? The only (material) thing they get from Marvel is box office and this isn't going to move the needle on the box office one bit. The downside to the parks business is far from offset by any minuscule upside on the media or consumer products sides.
They don't have to design, build, staff, or maintain any Marvel-related rides at WDW. That is their upside....

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Disney controls about a third of all the cable networks (as well as one of the big broadcast networks). Disney and Comcast need each other's services in order to distribute that content. They negotiate every X number of years on retransmission, distribution, and licensing of that content. Disney can sweeten a future deal in exchange for an amendment to the Marvel license.
Actually the model of the future would be Disney going direct-to-consumer and cutting Comcast out entirely. See Sling TV for "phase one" of that structure. ESPN is probably the biggest player in the evolving TV landscape since live sports are the only "DVR-proof" content out there and are therefore the only place left of value for advertisers.

Progress.City

Okay, I'll take the bait, I'm bored. What would those be?

Fast & Furious? Already planned to go into Universal Studios Florida replacing the San Francisco area.

Despicable Me? Already in Universal Studios Florida.

Jurassic Park? Already in Islands of Adventure.

Universal doesn't have anything left that needs a whole land that can match the earnings potential Marvel has.
If you say so. I thought they owned more than that...

doctornick

Exactly, that's what I've been saying. My question is whether those kinds of discussions have occurred -- and if so, what was negotiated -- or was this just Comcast/Uni saying "these are our plans" and Disney/Marvel saying "that meets the requirements and you can proceed". Not that we would necessarily get the details if the former were the case, but it would be interesting if someone would be able to say that they were more complex than simply approving IoA plans.

One other big factor that could be part of any negotiations would be the film distribution rights for The Hulk and Sub-Mariner, which are apparently still shared in some way by Universal.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
One other big factor that could be part of any negotiations would be the film distribution rights for The Hulk and Sub-Mariner, which are apparently still shared in some way by Universal.
A Hulk solo movie is too expensive to be of much value anyways. The CGI for the character alone is more than a Hulk-solo-box-office haul would be worth.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It's good for Disney because they get the licensing fee and cut of the merch from Uni without having to do anything. Low risk, high reward, what every executive loves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom