Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Disneyhead'71

Without being privy to the referenced "style guide," my guess is it does not feature the film looks. Otherwise, I would think the new m-n-g costume that debuted for Cap in June 2011 would have featured his CA:TFA look to capitalize on the film's release.

Plus, Marvel makes it clear the comic books and films are completely separate entities, and I would think it's in their best interests to not confuse customers by blending the two.

Those life-size fiberglass statues were manufactured by Hollywood Collectibles, and still available for around $4k. I think there's a big difference with UO developing rides and attractions featuring MCU likenesses and buying those models at retail and displaying them in a store (for all we know, they were available for purchase). One requires a license, the other does not.
Umm, yeah, no. Just try dropping one of those into the MK and see what happens.

GLaDOS

If I was Universal, I would just hate writing royalty checks to Disney no matter how great a deal they have. I believe that sooner or later Universal will want out as much as Disney wants back in at Walt Disney World.

Again, that makes 0 sense. If Universal hated writing royalty checks to competitors Harry Potter (Warner Brothers) wouldn't be the lynchpin of their park operations, and they wouldn't have shelled out the money to build Transformers (Paramount) in UOR in record speed. As it stands, they make a lot more money than what they send to Disney. Why give that up?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

gmajew

If I was Universal, I would just hate writing royalty checks to Disney no matter how great a deal they have. I believe that sooner or later Universal will want out as much as Disney wants back in at Walt Disney World.

Would you hate writing checks for potter to? It is part of their business model they are not IP company.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Again, that makes 0 sense. If Universal hated writing royalty checks to competitors Harry Potter (Warner Brothers) wouldn't be the lynchpin of their park operations, and they wouldn't have shelled out the money to build Transformers (Paramount) in UOR in record speed. As it stands, they make a lot more money than what they send to Disney. Why give that up?

The only reason I feel this way is that relationship between Disney and Comcast is not the same as with the others.

Disneyhead'71

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
ya know come to think of it... isn't Spider-Man the only REAL Marvel themed attraction at IoA? the others could be rethemed to really anything without a lot of effort or cost in my opinion.... so who knows... maybe one day IoA will actually want something else other than marvel and retheme it even better than what they have now (ex. hulk coaster, etc.)

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
ya know come to think of it... isn't Superman the only REAL Marvel themed attraction at IoA? the others could be rethemed to really anything without a lot of effort or cost in my opinion.... so who knows... maybe one day IoA will actually want something else other than marvel and retheme it even better than what they have now (ex. hulk coaster, etc.)
I assume you mean Spider-Man. And yes, that's accurate.

dstrawn9889

ya know come to think of it... isn't Superman the only REAL Marvel themed attraction at IoA? the others could be rethemed to really anything without a lot of effort or cost in my opinion.... so who knows... maybe one day IoA will actually want something else other than marvel and retheme it even better than what they have now (ex. hulk coaster, etc.)
SPIDERMAN

asianway

Reading some of the incredibly naive posts here regarding what an ironclad, in perpetuity contract means as I eat a dry chicken sandwich.

I'd point out the example of the 700 Club on ABC Family, but the people who can't/don't/won't understand would not get that either.

I also get a kick out of reading a post talking about everyone losing under the current arrangement. Where does someone even come up with a conclusion like that?!?!

The facts are EVERYONE -- that is Disney, Universal, Marvel -- are winning (insert Charlie Sheen reference). They are all making boatloads, cruise ship loads, destroyer loads of money under the current agreement.

As near as I can tell, the only ones 'losing' in this deal are whiny Disney fanbois who are upset that Universal holds all the cards in the deck when it comes to theme park rights and that they'll have to go to IOA to experience the characters (characters that many didn't even like before December of 2009 anyway). They can ride Spiderman ,which is still one of the best family themed rides of all time, when they are there ... and then go 'home' to Disney and cavort in the Casey Junior Play While You Pee Fountain.

It's really that simple. Not only is the current agreement good for Marvel, it's good for everyone. Those deals are very hard to come by these days.
At least in the case of 700 Club Disney could shut down the network

Mr. Peabody

Reliable sources have said that Universal has plans to upgrade/add to MSHI. Universal is not going to unload Marvel.

Sorry, thanks for playing.

Captain Chaos

Stop making sense. Seriously. You are ruining a perfectly flawed argument by stating facts and making sense.

WDW1974

Just another quick drop-in post on a rainy wretched day in paradise that I know you all non-Floridians would trade for in a second ... until you had to deal with it, all on a $10 an hour salary as a theme park/service worker ... regarding merchandise.

Disney put loads of it in the parks in the 2010-11 time-frame, but then moved it all out. Why? Because people were getting confused about where the Marvel rides were and CMs were having trouble answering them.

The only Marvel stuff I saw last week was one or two pins (I still want to know if I can use my Marvel pins bought at IOA as traders!) in the parks and some artwork at Bayview Gifts at Contemporary. I know they've had lots of it at DD over the years. ...They may be selling Avengers stuff in the parks now, but I didn't see it.

GLaDOS

Stop making sense. Seriously. You are ruining a perfectly flawed argument by stating facts and making sense.

I mean...I get it. Fans of the Disney parks who won't go to other parks are desperate to get these characters. WDW fans are starved for new content and maybe, just maybe, if they somehow got the rights from Universal they'd finally get that big new E-ticket of their dreams. I get why they twist the logic to fit their desired outcome.

I just think the evidence, not to mention the hints from people here that are far more reliable then me, point to a far more likely scenario.

DDLand

The facts are EVERYONE -- that is Disney, Universal, Marvel -- are winning (insert Charlie Sheen reference). They are all making boatloads, cruise ship loads, destroyer loads of money under the current agreement.

As near as I can tell, the only ones 'losing' in this deal are whiny Disney fanbois who are upset that Universal holds all the cards in the deck when it comes to theme park rights and that they'll have to go to IOA to experience the characters (characters that many didn't even like before December of 2009 anyway). They can ride Spiderman ,which is still one of the best family themed rides of all time, when they are there ... and then go 'home' to Disney and cavort in the Casey Junior Play While You Pee Fountain.

It's really that simple. Not only is the current agreement good for Marvel, it's good for everyone. Those deals are very hard to come by these days.
Well said. There's one place I disagree. You've been making the point that Disney is blurring the lines between Marvel and Disney. Marvel at Universal is in stark (no pun intended) contrast to this vision. If Disney really is going by this strategy, which seems likely, it does have a strong incentive to have them at their parks. Only their parks. It's like having a Frozen Ride at Universal. Not part of their vision of a singular unified mega "Disney" brand.

Captain Chaos

I mean...I get it. Fans of the Disney parks who won't go to other parks are desperate to get these characters. WDW fans are starved for new content and maybe, just maybe, if they somehow got the rights from Universal they'd finally get that big new E-ticket of their dreams. I get why they twist the logic to fit their desired outcome.

I just think the evidence, not to mention the hints from people here that are far more reliable then me, point to a far more likely scenario.
Funny thing is, like 74 has said, these same Disney fans wouldn't know who the Avengers were if Disney didn't purchase Marvel several years ago. And they wouldn't be clamoring for them to be in the parks now.

And we all know, if Disney did ever get the rights for WDW, the most they would do is a meet and greet, not an E ticket or entire land. Heck, maybe they would toss in a DVC cart just for kicks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom