Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

mahnamahna101

Marvel in Islands of Adventure isn't going anywhere. Hulk will be getting retracked and upgraded, as well as possibly rethemed. Doctor Doom is either being demolished in favor of a new ride, or being upgraded while a new ride is built on presumably the Toon Lagoon theater spot. The land will also receive thematic upgrades throughout.

Doctor Doom demo>>>usage of Toon Lagoon's only expansion pad for another Marvel attraction. Whatever replaces Toon Lagoon needs pretty much that entire front area in order to be worthwhile.

Add in the Carnage warehouse and it's a no-brainer. You could fit an E-ticket and possibly a C-ticket using Doom and the Carnage warehouse (might require shifting of Storm Force and some reworking of Hulk's track)

The only way I would support Doom staying is if Universal replaced it with a ToT-caliber E-ticket. Seriously, with the way Potter 1.0/2.0, Springfield and soon to be Skull Island have turned out, there's no excuse for having a barebones Spaceshot. Universal needs their equivalent to Tower of Terror.

Otherwise, Avengers assemble :):) I'm hoping UNI Creative has figured out a way to maximize MSHI's space with this revamp.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Maybe the deal TWDC is willing to strike requires UNI to keep that silly little ride open and unimproved. It's hard for UNI to take the high hand with WDW about Dinorama with Doom on it's campus.
I don't mind Doom or Dinorama (except the games -- don't like the games). They are (semi) themed carny rides, like Dumbo, Flight of the Hippogriff, Kang and Kodos and Rocket/Star Jets . Too many of them would bother me, but a few in a park is fine. Sometimes, the simple things are just what a kid (or the kid in an adult) needs.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Much more indeed, I've seen the numbers but I probably can't and won't say more. Though it is typical for a company like them to have direct access given their good credit ratings.
No need to say what you shouldn't. The 10-K discloses the contractually available (i.e, committed borrowings where lenders have agreed to lend at Disney's request) amounts at $6 billion, enough to fund the Avatar-like projects everywhere if need be. There is no doubt substantially more than that which would be available should Disney wish to pursue it.

Last edited:

GLaDOS

Doctor Doom demo>>>usage of Toon Lagoon's only expansion pad for another Marvel attraction. Whatever replaces Toon Lagoon needs pretty much that entire front area in order to be worthwhile.

Realistically, anything happening to Toon Lagoon is hypothetical. That land is large as-is, with a lot of wasted space. Marvel is more or less a surefire bet. Better to use Marvel to its best potential than to wait around with unused land for a retheme that may or may not happen

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I admit I hate adding any credibility to Tom Amity's little cry for attention almost as much as some people here have for 'liking' my posts even when they agree with me ...all sounds a 'wittle petty to me.
Ah, don't worry. It merely "sounds" petty. ;)
You're so right (even though I just HATE letting you know that I believe you are!) ...
Nah, you don't mind at all. You've done it before.

You either trust the source (even if you don't like his posts like a petulant child) or you don't.
Now, now, you needn't resort to name-calling like a schmuck!

But, yeah, it isn't fun to always know something(s) others don't and not be able to say more than 'I know something that you don't know!'
As long as you don't say it in a petty or petulant ;) manner, people should respect that. And I think most do when it's coming from you.

Pirouline

I don't want to read through 13 pages, can someone give me a tl;dr of whats going on right now? (other then the oringal post of course).

DocMcHulk

Oh, and to echo Martin, but UNI absolutely can AND LOOKS LIKE IT WILL be ADDING Marvel content.

Give it a rest, Disney fans.

And anyone who thinks Marvel belongs in EPCOT needs to turn in his Disney fan card. Seriously.
In some ways, a smart move. cash in on the Marvel craze while they can and the other company is doing all the hard work (creating the movies) for you.

GLaDOS

Is it possible the "Avengers" stuff disappears, but Spiderman and other non-Avengers content remains?

No. Avengers is staying at Uni.

I don't want to read through 13 pages, can someone give me a tl;dr of whats going on right now? (other then the oringal post of course).

Look about 8-10 posts above you. I summarized it.

DocMcHulk

I know Disney has been doing some SERIOUS work in planning an eventual DHS Marvel expansion behind RNRC, probably using all of that space occupied by those food stands (which were supposed to be only temporary to begin with) and those offices.
I'd have to find the post from years ago, but I actually proposed that idea on these boards. I think it was right after the Marvel acquisition. I am skeptical this would ever happen

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This may not be a common opinion, but instead of Disney buying FL Marvel rights back why not sell the worldwide theme park rights to Universal. It seems just silly for Disney to have to pay Uni for the rights in FL and then spend money on adding attractions in FL when there are so many other things that could be added. For Universal they would have to spend money re-theming the whole Marvel area. It doesn't seem worth it for either side.

If Universal had the worldwide theme-park rights to Marvel they could ramp up additions in multiple parks to spread costs. Disney would get more money from the deal. I'm just thinking that if you really want to see more quality Marvel stuff in a theme park that's the best route. Disney could use the extra cash to fund something from a galaxy far, far away.

GrumpyFan

What part of the contract would prevent this?

I believe it's addressed in the EXCLUSIVITY clause in Section IV.B. as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

ii. West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

iv. East or West of The Mississippi - The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

(a) If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buys of television, within printed materials such as brochures, or by print advertisements in periodicals directed to readers more than 300 miles from Orlando; and with regard to any of the foregoing permitted marketing, if the marketing is for a group of theme parks located both East and West of The Mississippi, the marketing shall make abundantly clear that the character only appears in the parks West of The Mississippi and shall not be subject to confusion on such point (such as would occur by visual inclusion of the character in a generic, multipark advertisement subject to a small print explanation of the parks where the character is present).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I believe it's addressed in the EXCLUSIVITY clause in Section IV.B. as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

ii. West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

iv. East or West of The Mississippi - The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

(a) If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buys of television, within printed materials such as brochures, or by print advertisements in periodicals directed to readers more than 300 miles from Orlando; and with regard to any of the foregoing permitted marketing, if the marketing is for a group of theme parks located both East and West of The Mississippi, the marketing shall make abundantly clear that the character only appears in the parks West of The Mississippi and shall not be subject to confusion on such point (such as would occur by visual inclusion of the character in a generic, multipark advertisement subject to a small print explanation of the parks where the character is present).

This is referring to theme park exclusivity. If they built a resort it wouldn't be in a theme park.

Progress.City

Years ago, I said the current arrangement between Universal and Marvel will not sit well with Disney in the years to come and I predicted that Disney will have those rights returned to it one way or another. Like what always happens here on these forums, I was attacked for having an opinion that was other than the mainstream. That opinion, understandable, is that both Disney and Uni are happy with the status quo of the arrangement; and, therefore, no changes will be made to it. Yes, they are happy, but the value of the Marvel property goes up exponentially if all the rights are collected under one basket. This is exactly what happened with Looney Tunes many decades ago. History has a nasty habit of repeating itself. Like I said then, I will repeat, eventually Disney will figure out a way to get all Marvel rights back under a single roof. I don't know how or when, or if it will be Iger or his successor, but it's smart business and will be done eventually.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom