Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

celluloid

Why are we lumping in Encanto exactly? Disney is rushing to spend easily a half billion dollars on semi permanent park infrastructure for that one franchise. It’s when you guys have to realize that theatrical is not the sole arbiter of success… though usually a very good surrogate. Encanto and possibly Elemental if it keeps up, are massive properties. Encanto is an A-lister, alongside Frozen and Moana.

I don't know if I would say Encanto is on par with Frozen. That seems like a bit of a stretc.h as by now Disney would be rushing Encanto 2 to chase. But it is valid that it found a life in home viewing (as have many from Disney on home video sales over the decades) They can't all do reach success later was the point.
The point for Every Encanto there is a Haunted Mansion, Wish or The Marvels level stinker losing the company towards a billion a year, not just disappointment.
Also, Encanto is not going to be the sole franchise in that expansion you speak of.

Not sure I would even brag on Disney building and investing in semi-permanent fixtures for their resorts. NBA Experience and Galactic Star cruiser, among other odd choices show they are not exactly great on track record of good judgment there either.

Last edited:

celluloid

Saw Abigail tonight, it was an interesting take on the vampire genre. But while a different movie, thought First Omen was better overall when comparing the two.

It has definitely been done before. It is actually essentially a remake of Dracula's Daughter. Just a more brutal version for the horror comedy audience.

DKampy

I don't know if I would say Encanto is on par with Frozen. That seems like a bit of a stretc.h as by now Disney would be rushing Encanto 2 to chase. But it is valid that it found a life in home viewing (as have many from Disney on home video sales over the decades) They can't all do reach success later was the point.
The point for Every Encanto there is a Haunted Mansion, Wish or The Marvels level stinker losing the company towards a billion a year, not just disappointment.
Also, Encanto is not going to be the sole franchise in that expansion you speak of.

Not sure I would even brag on Disney building and investing in semi-permanent fixtures for their resorts. NBA Experience and Galactic Star cruiser, among other odd choices show they are not exactly great on track record of good judgment there either.
Not sure I would equate the NBA experience or The Star Cruiser with a new Encanto ride in the theme parks… neither of those I thought were a good idea from the get go… as long as the ride is great it will be a hit regardless of IP…I can not think of single new ride that was not successful at WDW in the last 10 years

By the way I believe Encanto was successful and deserves to be represented in the parks

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure I would equate the NBA experience or The Star Cruiser with a new Encanto ride in the theme parks… neither of those I thought were a good idea from the get go… as long as the ride is great it will be a hit regardless of IP…I can not think of single new ride that was not successful at WDW in the last 10 years

By the way I believe Encanto was successful and deserves to be represented in the parks
Jumping the gun a bit…but whatever…

You know what they really need to do? Represent the best, most underused property in the parks.

Tangled. That’s right..:good old fashioned tangled.

If only they could come up with some kinda ride/miniland or something?…

celluloid

It was mostly a joke. of Course, an actual attraction will do decently no matter what. Although attendance and guest spending is not reflecting the investments of recent.

But to say Encanto is at the same level of Frozen in popularity, is equally out of the realm of sanity. That is what I was more responding to.

Dranth

You know what they really need to do? Represent the best, most underused property in the parks.

According to the logic of this thread, no other means of measuring popularity is known to mankind except the box office results. Specifically the net profit to the studio. So, seeing as how Tangled was a flop at the box office and lost Disney money, we shouldn't have it in any park and anyone who was a part of it should have been fired as well as all the studio heads.

DKampy

I am not jumping anything…it very much could be a failure… as I have not seen the plans… but as someone who thinks what it is replacing is one of the ugliest areas in all of WDW in the most gorgeous of all four parks… I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
According to the logic of this thread, no other means of measuring popularity is known to mankind except the box office results. Specifically the net profit to the studio. So, seeing as how Tangled was a flop at the box office and lost Disney money, we shouldn't have it in any park and anyone who was a part of it should have been fired as well as all the studio heads.
Tangled was redone at twice the price…but I think you know that

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am not jumping anything…it very much could be a failure… as I have not seen the plans… but as someone who thinks what it is replacing is one of the ugliest areas in all of WDW in the most gorgeous of all four parks… I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now
I’m saying Disney is jumping the gun…but not too hard of a move to figure out

DKampy

It was mostly a joke. of Course, an actual attraction will do decently no matter what. Although attendance and guest spending is not reflecting the investments of recent.

But to say Encanto is at the same level of Frozen in popularity, is equally out of the realm of sanity. That is what I was more responding to.
I honestly don’t know which is more popular… I don’t pay attention to such stats… but I would guess Frozen is… as Disney is building full Frozen lands at parks across the globe and Encanto is getting one ride at 1 park…I will say perhaps it depends on the age… as I have kids in my life that favorite movie is Encanto and could care less about Frozen as that film was before their time… as the end of the day people tend to view things through nostalgic glasses

celluloid

Or you are silly. Tangled did 592 million worldwide. It made good money before it left to make more money at home even after its outrageous cost to redo. It has been successful in both theaters and home. The success got us Frozen at the next big project, which was even more successful.

If Wish did 400 million worldwide, most people here would not even call it a flop, but a disappointment at worst.

You are mad at the truth. Disney can't even get an original female led character to break 100 million at the box office domestic in today's money. It is sad.

celluloid

I honestly don’t know which is more popular… I don’t pay attention to such stats… but I would guess Frozen is… a

You made good guess.

Nostalgiac or not for some. It is evident which is widely more popular. Not even close. So the fact that they were compared by another poster as equal, is just silly. If nostalgiac can play a part, than so can "newness" and novelty.

Dranth

Or you are silly. Tangled did 592 million worldwide. It made good money before it left to make more money at home even after its outrageous cost to redo. It has been successful in both theaters and home. The success got us Frozen at the next big project, which was even more successful.

If Wish did 400 million worldwide, most people here would not even call it a flop, but a disappointment at worst.

You are mad at the truth. Disney can't even get an original female led character to break 100 million at the box office domestic in today's money. It is sad.
One, you missed the whole point of the post which was making fun of the RIDICULOUS concept that box office profit is somehow the measurement of a movie’s success and popularity. Two your math is wrong according to this thread.

Tangled cost 390 million with marketing and made 592. Disney keeps 277 of that with good splits (60% domestic, 40% foreign), that is a loss of 113 million dollars. Not sure how that means it made money at the box office in your world. Heck, you can even cut the marketing in half and it still lost 48 million so all satire aside, you are just factually wrong according to the numbers.

Sure, it eventually made money with home sales and merch post box office but we have been told that is not an acceptable way to make money and any movie that does not profit the company in the theater is a bomb. Based on those criteria, Tangled is a giant pile of trash and a failure.

I love it personally but thankfully I am not so limited and close minded that I can only define a movie by how much profit it made when in the theaters.

Also why do you keep bringing up Wish? What does that have to do with Tangled other than they both lost Disney money at the box office? Also, why is it then when people disagree with you do you assume they are mad over something they never even brought up or referenced? You may be doing some projecting.

Last edited:

celluloid

One, you missed the whole point of the post which was making fun of the RIDICULOUS concept that box office profit is somehow the measurement of a movie’s success and popularity. Two your math is wrong according to this thread.

Tangled cost 390 million with marketing and made 592. Disney keeps 277 of that with good splits (60% domestic, 40% foreign), that is a loss of 113 million dollars. Not sure how that means it made money at the box office in your world. Heck, you can even cut the marketing in half and it still lost 48 million so all satire aside, you are just factually wrong according to the numbers.

Sure, it eventually made money with home sales and merch post box office but we have been told that is not an acceptable way to make money and any movie that does not profit the company in the theater is a bomb. Based on those criteria, Tangled is a giant pile of trash and a failure.

I love it personally but thankfully I am not so limited and close minded that I can only define a movie by how much profit it made when in the theaters.

Also why do you keep bringing up Wish? What does that have to do with Tangled other than they both lost Disney money at the box office? Also, why is it then when people disagree with you do you assume they are mad over something they never even brought up or referenced? You may be doing some projecting.
As pointed out, Tangled is a mess of a situation and example because it ended up being the most expensive animated film of all time, and still to this date. It is that good, so it still turned out popular. It still made near 600 million worldwide.

Your insults are quite telling.
Never said Tangled was a flop. I never even said Encanto was.(beyond theatrically) What it is not, is it is not on the same level as Frozen or even likely Moana. You would certainly need your head checked if you think Encanto is as popular as Frozen is. Even now. That is what I originally responded to from another poster.

It is a box office thread. We are going by popularity of something...at the box office. So not sure why you are so frustrated about that all the time.

All your marketing numbers tossed in and yet. Tangled, as pointed out by others is still underutilized compared to its success and Encanto is merely just the newest good enough.

In Show business, things are only as good as the last thing a company did.

Encanto is just the only thing they can really go with, when the edict is parks must have IP. Everything else recent meh or otherwise is already happening.

If a 200 million dollar domestic and international 400 million total Princess movie came out from Disney this year, Encanto would be dropped like a sack of potatoes to something much smaller while new musical princess like movie took focus.

Tron got into the parks with a cloned rollercoaster because there were hopes of continuing that property. I don't think it takes as much as people think anymore when the edict is there.

Call me when Disney has an original animated film that gets over 100 million at the domestic box office in theaters.

They can't all be home or cult classics.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I just finished Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

That movie is so bad Disney deserves to lose double the amount of money than they did on it. I almost want Disney to release it again just so they can lose another $200 million. Serves them right.
What did you dislike so much about it?

Dranth

Your insults are quite telling.
I don't think you understand what an insult is if you thought there were any in that post.

Never said Tangled was a flop. I never even said Encanto was. What it is not, is it is not on the same level as Frozen or even likely Moana.
Of course it wasn't a flop or equal to Frozen/Moana. We all know that. Hence why the super over the top focus of a bunch of people on only the theatrical run when talking about how well a movie was received is absurd. That was the whole point of the post, using that same logic to show Tangled as a flop even though we all know it did great on the back end and is well loved.

All your marketing numbers tossed in and yet. Tangled, as pointed out by others is still underutilized compared to its success and Encanto is merely just the newest good enough.
Great, I mostly agree though you seem to undersell Encanto, that doesn't change the fact that Tangled lost money in its theatrical run. Hence the sarcastic post about Tangled being a flop according to this thread.

In Show business, things are only as good as the last thing a company did.

Encanto is just the only thing they can really go with, when the edict is parks must have IP. Everything else recent meh or otherwise is already happening.

If a 200 million dollar domestic and international 400 million total Princess movie came out from Disney this year, Encanto would be dropped like a sack of potatoes to something much smaller.
I see what you are saying and agree with most of it except Encanto being dropped like a rock. You may not have liked it as much but it is far more popular than you are giving it credit for.

erasure fan1

According to the logic of this thread, no other means of measuring popularity is known to mankind except the box office results. Specifically the net profit to the studio.
I don't think that's really the case. Box office can be great indicator. Sometimes not so much. Movies like lightyear, wish, the marvels all did in the 200s. Not only is that not profitable it's pretty cut and dry not popular. Mermaid you could make a case either way. It did 570mil, so it had an ok turn out. But it's also not really talked about anymore. Enconto had a weak box office but caught popularity on a song that went bonkers.
So, seeing as how Tangled was a flop at the box office and lost Disney money, we shouldn't have it in any park and anyone who was a part of it should have been fired as well as all the studio heads.
Remember, there's a difference between a overall flop and a financial flop. And I think that's been established on here many times. Tangled, was a financial flop at the box office, 100%. But I wouldn't say it was an overall flop. It did very well post theatrical and at about 600mil (850mil adjusted for inflation), it had a pretty good turnout. We've seen no movement post theatrical on almost all the box office disappointments of the last few years. So yea, the box office results have been pretty indicative of popularity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom