Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

celluloid

There is no Elemental franchise for such a comparison to be made in the first place! You were the one who made the erroneous claim that "Kung Fu Panda 4 is more popular to the general public than . . . Elemental"; I wouldn't have discussed the two films in relation to each other otherwise.

I think the odds of that being a thing are slim. So don't fret.

Your phrasing, It still matters.

I did not say Kung Fu Panda is bigger than Indiana Jones. Because it isn't.

I did say Kung Fu Panda 4 is a bigger money maker and has been able to bring more money than Dial of Destiny, because it is.

LittleBuford

I think the odds of that being a thing are slim. So don't fret.

Your phrasing, It still matters.

I did not say Kung Fu Panda is bigger than Indiana Jones. Because it isn't.

I did say Kung Fu Panda 4 is a bigger money maker and has been able to bring more money than Dial of Destiny, because it is.
You: "Kung Fu Panda 4 is more popular to the general public than . . . Elemental"

Me: No it isn't; here are the numbers to prove it.

You made a mistake and were corrected. No biggie--it happens to all of us. Why you're carrying it on and trying to make it seem as if I misunderstood you or phrased myself poorly is beyond me.

celluloid

You: "Kung Fu Panda 4 is more popular to the general public than . . . Elemental"

Me: No it isn't; here are the numbers to prove it.

You made a mistake and were corrected. No biggie--it happens to all of us. Why you're carrying it on and trying to make it seem as if I misunderstood you or phrased myself poorly is beyond me.

The term general public is just annoying. I only used it in response to someone that used it first. You can't dissect who is a Disney specific fan, or this kind of fan, or this type of public, or not. We only go by who is seeing the films in theaters. Which Kung Fu Panda 4 is still playing. So not really reasonable to say "Look, this film that as done in theaters last year has sold more tickets!" Unless you think it is realistic that Kung Fu Panda 4 will just stop playing this entire weekend and beyond.

The world as an audience, has been favorable to Kung Fu Panda 4, that is still playing. Fair to presume it will surpass it Elemental internationally as it already did in the states.

If you are going to create a mispresenting of statements to insult me:

To the last bold. Well, we agree there.

Universal's Dreamworks popularity of current animation leader is so evident that it has two films playing in the top ten right now. And the one that is a re-release not only surpassed Disney's. But is not showing signs of cannibalizing Kung Fu Panda 4 either. Both have more than made their money long ago. Just raking it in.

R rated side of things; it will be interested to see what Abigail does. Rated, as is the other wide release of this week. Something that helped M3GAN was it was dark but held a PG-13.

Spy family may play a bit to families and the anime fandom enough to do well for an opening weekend.

Monkey Man has been a success in holding during the weekdays, and it will be interested to see if Universal can have two successful Rated Runs and two successful animated money makers at the same time.

Last edited:

DKampy

Are people really criticizing The Exorcist…. One of the creepiest movies ever filmed…. Also an absolute classic… there is a reason The Exorcist has stood the test of time
Monkey Man has been a success in holding during the weekdays, and it will be interested to see if Universal can have two successful Rated Runs and two successful animated money makers at the same time.
You know what R Rated film that is doing better than that..Civil War… quite possibly my favorite movie of 2024 so far

celluloid

Are people really criticizing The Exorcist…. One of the creepiest movies ever filmed…. Also an absolute classic… there is a reason The Exorcist has stood the test of time

You know what R Rated film that is doing better than that..Civil War… quite possibly my favorite movie of 2024 so far

That has done well. I don't know if it is doing better than Monkey Man, as financially it's budget is much higher but will surely be profitable at this rate if it holds.

TalkingHead

Deadline reports that Kingdom whatever of the Apes is estimated to get $55-60m opening weekend domestically. Sounds like a good start, I guess.

Wonder what the budget is. I believe the previous Apes movies were a little under $200m.

celluloid

Deadline reports that Kingdom whatever of the Apes is estimated to get $55-60m opening weekend domestically. Sounds like a good start, I guess.

Wonder what the budget is. I believe the previous Apes movies were a little under $200m.

Some sources say 270 million. But apparently that gets confusing with not knowing incentives helping. But most movies get pretty good incentives is filming in Australia or England. Either way it is by far the most expensive one yet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why wouldn’t he?
He got his Oscar, he accomplished what he wanted to do. So yeah why not come back to the franchise that made him really popular again. Look for at least a cameo in Secret Wars. However we're still waiting for Sherlock 3, so who knows whats going to happen longer term.
And if Disney wants to right the listing ship…they might want to consider paying the ransom
The Iron Man series, at least with RDJ in the role, is finished. If he comes back it'll most likely be in service of other movies in the MCU such as larger Avengers movies like with Secret Wars. I also would think they would do the Tony as an AI thing with the role like in the comics, similar to what they did at the end of End Game. But again that would be in service of other movies not a standalone Iron Man movie.
Dude…they have no avengers as it stands. You’re Insistence they’re gonna keep churning out minor comic book stuff will not work well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why wouldn’t he?

And if Disney wants to right the listing ship…they might want to consider paying the ransom

Dude…they have no avengers as it stands. You’re Insistence they’re gonna keep churning out minor comic book stuff will not work well.
Well he is 59, so maybe he doesn't want to keep playing Tony Stark as a super hero when he starts getting his senior discounts. So any future appearance is likely to be limited in nature, which is why I'm suggesting it'll maybe be Tony as a hologram mentor role like in the comics.

And dude..... your insistence they can only have Avengers if its stars RDJ, Evans, and ScarJo isn't going to end well either. As they aren't going to be those characters forever, the actors end up moving on or, and I hate to say it, pass on like Boseman. So they have to do other stuff with the franchise and that includes using characters that you personally consider "minor".

celluloid

Well he is 59, so maybe he doesn't want to keep playing Tony Stark as a super hero when he starts getting his senior discounts. So any future appearance is likely to be limited in nature, which is why I'm suggesting it'll maybe be Tony as a hologram mentor role like in the comics.

And dude..... your insistence they can only have Avengers if its stars RDJ, Evans, and ScarJo isn't going to end well either. As they aren't going to be those characters forever, the actors end up moving on or, and I hate to say it, pass on like Boseman. So they have to do other stuff with the franchise and that includes using characters that you personally consider "minor".

Spiderman kind of has gotten away with that with different visions before the MCU and the finale with Sony tying in because they were very different versions and Sam Rami was the first time Spiderman was big budget in cinemas. Garfield ones fell flat by 2 because they were not quite there. Third attempt obviously tied into MCU. But you are not likely to reach the same success now that the phases have come to a close and people are moving on.

Batman already has done the American version of Bond thing and like Bond, hit or miss with some steady results, but nothing groundbreaking.
Like Batman, they are going to want to take a decade off now and then of Spidey, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America.

I think Marvel movies peaked for a very long time. And people latched onto it when those characters were played by those characters for so long.

Glenn Strange and others have played The Mummy and Frankenstein since Karloff, but never with as much success. Imhotep took a long time(1999) to get audiences to accept a vastly different actor, because it was a vastly different genre take on it nearly 80 years later.

It will always be a genre, but The Superhero Marvel cinematic decade and a half is about wrapping up with Deadpool vs Wolverine.

Wendy Pleakley

They've said they won't bring Downey back because his story was told so perfectly, and I tend to agree. I love the actor and performance but do we really need a 10th movie with Tony Stark? Is that right? *counts on fingers*

Downey Jr. showed that it's more about the actor than anything, Iron Man being a pretty minor and unknown character outside of comic fans. X-Men will come down to the casting, not whether or not anyone knows who the characters are, really.

Benedict Cumberbatch is the most charismatic actor in the stable right now in my opinion. Can he lead an Avengers movie to the degree Downey did? Who are the other big names? Pratt is up there. Maybe Hemsworth. Tom Holland is okay. Paul Rudd was good as part of an ensemble.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Spiderman kind of has gotten away with that with different visions before the MCU and the finale with Sony tying in because they were very different versions and Sam Rami was the first time Spiderman was big budget in cinemas. Garfield ones fell flat by 2 because they were not quite there. Third attempt obviously tied into MCU. But you are not likely to reach the same success now that the phases have come to a close and people are moving on.

Batman already has done the American version of Bond thing and like Bond, hit or miss with some steady results, but nothing groundbreaking.
Like Batman, they are going to want to take a decade off now and then of Spidey, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America.
I think they will take time off before rebooting any of the major characters from the MCU, like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers. The mantles though, like Captain America and Black Panther, will continue on with different characters.

It will always be a genre, but The Superhero Marvel cinematic decade and a half is about wrapping up with Deadpool vs Wolverine.
Disagree, its not ending. And the name of the movie is Deadpool & Wolverine, not vs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They've said they won't bring Downey back because his story was told so perfectly, and I tend to agree. I love the actor and performance but do we really need a 10th movie with Tony Stark? Is that right? *counts on fingers*

Downey Jr. showed that it's more about the actor than anything, Iron Man being a pretty minor and unknown character outside of comic fans. X-Men will come down to the casting, not whether or not anyone knows who the characters are, really.

Benedict Cumberbatch is the most charismatic actor in the stable right now in my opinion. Can he lead an Avengers movie to the degree Downey did? Who are the other big names? Pratt is up there. Maybe Hemsworth. Tom Holland is okay. Paul Rudd was good as part of an ensemble.
Agreed with everything here. Though as I've mentioned I do think they bring back RDJ as Tony at least one more time in Secret Wars, and I suspect it'll be as an AI hologram just to keep his ending in End Game worth it.

And I 100% agree its the actors that make the characters, even minor ones, audience favorites. X-Men (Mutants whatever they call them) the casting is everything. So far I like F4 casting, we'll wait to see if the movie uses them well and has the payoff.

BrianLo

Disney can't survive on 90 percent of their films just become a home cult classic.

Have you met my friend, Netflix? Disney absolutely can survive without theatrical grosses. Should it abandon a format it is very successful in and generally causes their movies to be even better received on their DTC platform? Absolutely not. But the company has pivoted away from theatrical dependency.

And if they want to, they need to do better than Wish, Haunted Mansion, Dial of Destiny and even Encanto. Elemental was a nice start, but boy do they need to do better and reign it in to earn audience trust to more of that.

Why are we lumping in Encanto exactly? Disney is rushing to spend easily a half billion dollars on semi permanent park infrastructure for that one franchise. It’s when you guys have to realize that theatrical is not the sole arbiter of success… though usually a very good surrogate. Encanto and possibly Elemental if it keeps up, are massive properties. Encanto is an A-lister, alongside Frozen and Moana.

Is Disneys record solid right now? No. But they are also one of the few (not only) studios in the industry creating viable new franchises in the last few years. Even if they’ve had many misses.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Saw Abigail tonight, it was an interesting take on the vampire genre. But while a different movie, thought First Omen was better overall when comparing the two.

Casper Gutman

Agreed with everything here. Though as I've mentioned I do think they bring back RDJ as Tony at least one more time in Secret Wars, and I suspect it'll be as an AI hologram just to keep his ending in End Game worth it.

And I 100% agree its the actors that make the characters, even minor ones, audience favorites. X-Men (Mutants whatever they call them) the casting is everything. So far I like F4 casting, we'll wait to see if the movie uses them well and has the payoff.
There’s an infinite number of Tonys in the multiverse. They aren’t going to bring back the Tony we’ve been following, but A Tony will be back and it won’t be a minor role. I’d bet quite heavily that it won’t be a hologram or something like that. It will be a flesh and blood Tony from another universe playing a significant part in the film as a hero… or villain.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There’s an infinite number of Tonys in the multiverse. They aren’t going to bring back the Tony we’ve been following, but A Tony will be back and it won’t be a minor role. I’d bet quite heavily that it won’t be a hologram or something like that. It will be a flesh and blood Tony from another universe playing a significant part in the film as a hero… or villain.
I disagree, but we'll have to see. If it is another Tony from the multiverse, then why would RDJ have to come back for that to happen. They could just bring in another actor to play Tony especially as a villian, one who is younger and cheaper, and just reboot the character.

celluloid

Why are we lumping in Encanto exactly? Disney is rushing to spend easily a half billion dollars on semi permanent park infrastructure for that one franchise. It’s when you guys have to realize that theatrical is not the sole arbiter of success… though usually a very good surrogate. Encanto and possibly Elemental if it keeps up, are massive properties. Encanto is an A-lister, alongside Frozen and Moana.

I don't know if I would say Encanto is on par with Frozen. That seems like a bit of a stretc.h as by now Disney would be rushing Encanto 2 to chase. But it is valid that it found a life in home viewing (as have many from Disney on home video sales over the decades) They can't all do reach success later was the point.
The point for Every Encanto there is a Haunted Mansion, Wish or The Marvels level stinker losing the company towards a billion a year, not just disappointment.
Also, Encanto is not going to be the sole franchise in that expansion you speak of.

Not sure I would even brag on Disney building and investing in semi-permanent fixtures for their resorts. NBA Experience and Galactic Star cruiser, among other odd choices show they are not exactly great on track record of good judgment there either.

Last edited:

celluloid

Saw Abigail tonight, it was an interesting take on the vampire genre. But while a different movie, thought First Omen was better overall when comparing the two.

It has definitely been done before. It is actually essentially a remake of Dracula's Daughter. Just a more brutal version for the horror comedy audience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom