Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You mean the lecture about morality and the company not wanting to associate itself with Halle? That’s all yours.
That’s not my point at all.

I googled little mermaid to see how it did this weekend and the “news” was skin shots….not like i’m hanging out on tiktok 🤪

It’s just a side note…probably means nothing

flynnibus

Premium Member
One thing to remember for any posters bemoaning both high marketing costs and an over-reliance on IP - the dependence on IP is partially motivated by a desire to keep marketing costs relatively low, especially with the explosion of new markets. IPs come pre-sold to a considerable extent. Marketing a slate of original blockbusters to wildly varied audience would cost quite a lot more.
Then ghe marketing expenses on these films should be lower than industry norms… but they aren’t.

Know what markets a film? Success… something you don’t even have to pay people to talk about.

fractal

I think there are three main reasons Hollywood (and by extension, Disney) is struggling right now (and will continue to do so).

1. price-gouging and inflation over the last couple years has resulted in customers becoming more discerning with what they consume; mediocre films aren't enough to draw them out anymore

2. streaming has invented a new, convinient mode of entertainment consumption and COVID forced everyone to find alternative entertainment methods vs. the theatre. Those two factors combined mean that there is lower demand for blockbusters than there was in 2019.

3. now tell me if I'm projecting... but everything runs its course and audiences are just tired of mostly inoffensive, blah IP films? People are just over it. Most of the major hollywood franchises have run their course and compell diminished interest from customers now vs. 2019. If a film is very good then sure we'll see it... but if not, then why bother?
Spiderman spider verse disagrees.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think there are three main reasons Hollywood (and by extension, Disney) is struggling right now (and will continue to do so).

1. price-gouging and inflation over the last couple years has resulted in customers becoming more discerning with what they consume; mediocre films aren't enough to draw them out anymore

2. streaming has invented a new, convinient mode of entertainment consumption and COVID forced everyone to find alternative entertainment methods vs. the theatre. Those two factors combined mean that there is lower demand for blockbusters than there was in 2019.

3. now tell me if I'm projecting... but everything runs its course and audiences are just tired of mostly inoffensive, blah IP films? People are just over it. Most of the major hollywood franchises have run their course and compell diminished interest from customers now vs. 2019. If a film is very good then sure we'll see it... but if not, then why bother?

Look at top gun maverick. It has all the cliches of hollywood like you outlined. Yet… it did gangbusters. Why? They actually created a product people were interested in and were told it was good… were entertained… and told others how they liked it.

All while at the same prices… and abusing ‘sequels’ etc

If you make great movies people will ho see it!

What you can’t count on anymore is people going go the movies no matter what each week and just deciding which film to see.

They can’t be spending 300+M on uninspiring junk and just assume their tagline of ‘from the studio that brought you…’ carrying them to profits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That funny. I just googled Little Mermaid to see how it did this weekend and got box office numbers.
to be fair…it’s now down to the 5th and 7th hit on the “news” tab…
1688609518387.png

Guess we’re done now?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t know. Any more scolding based on what she’s wearing? 😂
Who said “scolding”? How do you know I don’t support it? 😎

I’m more interested in what all her aunts and uncles think? For 3 weeks after the movie was released on the threads everyone personally knew her? Just want to make sure she hasn’t lost contact with them 😱

BlakeW39

Spiderman spider verse disagrees.

Spider-Verse doesn't contradict my argument though, because it's not blah or inoffensive and people are going to see it because it's quality and because it's based on one of the biggest IPs in entertainment history. It's Spider-Man.

Never underestimate the importance of quality in a film's financial success. In this day and age, everyone's got RT and metacritic at their fingertips, letting them know whether something is worth seeing or not. Typical mediocre schlock is gonna suffer in that regard.

And that ties in to the fact that consumers today are highly discerning in the entertainment they consume. The internet gives them a convenient means of assessing the value proposition of a product and allows them to engage with content more selectively, viewing only the entertainment that is worth spending the time and money to view.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There really hasn’t been any “analysis” to this point…just an endless steam of excuses and accusations.

And you did it again…Halle? Like you babysat her or something?

Just an actor…a hired gun. Not getting a noble prize for releasing a couple of records and a movie. In other news: Hermione will be appointed queen of England and Taylor swift will be sainted later 😳

Jeez.
There has been plenty of analysis in the multiple threads about the box office, including what Hollywood trades are saying, you just haven't accepted what was provided. Also this is a fan board with very limited access to real data beyond just the box office, there is only so far these discussions can go before a wall is hit, so its all going to be opinion anyways with very little recourse.

As for the rest, the picture isn't anything more than what one would see at any beach across this nation just 2 days ago and is considered tame by today's standards. So I'm pretty sure Disney has no issue with one of their stars posting an innocent photo.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
It seems not only is the movie business suffering, but so to are theatre companies across the country.

The crisis is a perfect storm of bad economic and demographic trends, exacerbated by a change in cultural habits during the pandemic. Experts in theater management say that 25 percent to 30 percent of theater audiences have not returned since the pandemic shutdown of March 2020 that lasted until late 2021. Retrenchment has continued, they say, not so much out of lingering fears of getting sick, but because theater simply receded as a priority as other pastimes filled the gap. Streaming entertainment at home, for example, has proved a durable substitute for the time and expense of theater.

EPCOT-O.G.

Well, this isn't a good sign. Tell me again how Disney+ is a great long-term money maker? I forget.

I happen to think the stock will underperform relative to all these downgrades.

Keep in mind the parks revenue (which doesn’t appear to be presently great from other indicia) is going to be hit with the write offs from Starcruiser, HarmoniUs, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I happen to think the stock will underperform relative to all these downgrades.

Keep in mind the parks revenue (which doesn’t appear to be presently great from other indicia) is going to be hit with the write offs from Starcruiser, HarmoniUs, etc.
Hit? You mean earnings boosted. Revenue isn’t touched by of that stuff.

Right now think of all the people drooling over low crowds and are thinking its the time to go. So the cycle will toggle again… disney will discount… and everyone will complain about how crowded it is now… rinse and repeat

TalkingHead

It seems not only is the movie business suffering, but so to are theatre companies across the country.

Saw this today saying it’s been a better summer for theaters than studios:

Which doesn’t mean it’s been great for either.

I still think it’s possible multiplexes fade into extinction over the next ten years with the theatrical experience becoming an exclusive ticketed experience like the opera.

Disstevefan1

Saw this today saying it’s been a better summer for theaters than studios:

Which doesn’t mean it’s been great for either.

I still think it’s possible multiplexes fade into extinction over the next ten years with the theatrical experience becoming an exclusive ticketed experience like the opera.
Studios need theaters in order to survive, so this is good news.

Now the studios need to "relearn" how to keep their costs down (like they did in the old days).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Studios need theaters in order to survive, so this is good news.

Now the studios need to "relearn" how to keep their costs down (like they did in the old days).
I think you have that backwards. Studios don't need theaters to survive, as they will always find a way to distribute movies to the masses whether through theater releases or digital release. Its the whole reason why theaters are in the position they are now, studios discovered they could still release movies without them. In fact most studios would love nothing more than to cut out the theaters from taking a percentage of the box office, hence why theaters got scared during the pandemic.

When the theatrical experience goes the way of the dodo, and it will, studios will just start charging the direct consumer in whatever distribution method is used at the time, such as PVOD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom