Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Miss Rori

I saw Beetlejuice Beetlejuice today and I think it stands to leg out over the next two months whether or not they do a Halloween-timed digital drop. It's true there are a bunch of straight horror movies coming up, plus the two animated features, but otherwise there's really not much in the way of wide releases until Joker Folie a Deux, which is also a Warner Bros. release - the studio likely didn't want to release the films right on top of each other, especially as the latter is also meant to be a major awards season play. I say "meant to be" because the early word out of the Venice Film Festival has not been good. It's absolutely possible that that movie might flame out after a big first weekend if word of mouth isn't good, and that's more space for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, which is shaping up to be a real crowd-pleaser. Not to mention, it's the only wide release for a while that seems to be appealing to women especially - after this, it's pretty much a wait for Wicked Part One and/or Moana 2 in November.

DKampy

This one is kind of a strange release. It reminds me of haunted mansion. Why not release it for Halloween? Like haunted mansion, I think it does better as a last week of September or first week of October. I don't think it's all that strong of a fall line up. Transformers one, wild robot, venom, joker. Wild robots is the end of September and Joker is that first weekend in October. Release it the 4th as kids aren't going to see Joker. I don't know, it just screams Halloween release in my opinion.
While if It was me I would have released it closer to Halloween…I don’t believe it’s as strange of a release as Haunted Mansion… that was released last week of July…. I feel once your past Labor Day… it is officially Halloween season…and it worked well for IT

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

The people concerned about Beetlejuice being released in September are going to be shocked when they find out when Disney starts running their Halloween parties ;)

I imagine release dates are more based on competition and other factors rather than appropriate thematic timing.

I agree there might have been some desire to time the release to allow the theatrical AND digital release to occur before Halloween.

Disney's Haunted Mansion I agreed was likely a direct to D+ project that had a theatrical release added, so the date makes sense from that perspective.

Animaniac93-98

While if It was me I would have released it closer to Halloween…I don’t believe it’s as strange of a release as Haunted Mansion… that was released last week of July…. I feel once your past Labor Day… it is officially Halloween season…and it worked well for IT

Agreed, I don't think releasing it after Labor Day is a problem. I expect it will continue to run through the Halloween season, which for much of the USA starts after Sprit Halloween and local haunt attractions open in September.

DKampy

Agreed, I don't think releasing it after Labor Day is a problem. I expect it will continue to run through the Halloween season, which for much of the USA starts after Sprit Halloween and local haunt attractions open in September.
It could prove to be a smart release strategy…. If released in October the film would be done after November 1st…. If Leggy it could continue to add profits (however much it may be) through Halliween

I have not seen the movie yet( will in about an hour)… I am still not sure how much legs this movie has…. From what I heard this movie is for fans only….it hits all the right member berries for the fans of the first film(lucky I am)… Otherwise it is kind of a mess

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So preliminary weekend numbers are in, Beetlejuice 2 surpassed $100M with $110M opening weekend domestic and almost $150M WW.

DP&W is looking like it'll hit $1.3B WW before the end of its run. And IO2 is looking to finish its run at close to $1.7B WW.

1725830557335.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Elsewhere this frame, Disney became the first studio to cross $4B in global box office this year. It got there with just five wide releases, including the two highest grossers of 2024 so far, Inside Out 2 and Deadpool & Wolverine, followed by Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Alien: Romulus and The First Omen. This is the third year in a row Disney gets to the benchmark, and the 10th time since 2010 — the most of any major.​
Speaking of Inside Out 2, its global cume is now $1,675.1M, stomping past Jurassic World ($1,671.5M) to become the No. 8 biggest movie of all time worldwide. It likewise moved up a notch internationally, landing at No. 10 on the all-time chart with an offshore cume of $1,023.2M.​
Sticking with Dis, 20th Century’s Alien: Romulus chomped across $300M, taking the global cume to $314.4M. Also getting to the three-century mark, Sony/Wayfarer Studios’ hit romantic drama, It Ends with Us, reached $309.4M globally with this weekend’s business, and more markets yet to blossom.​
Romulus for its part has now grossed $314.4M worldwide, of which $217.2M is from overseas. It’s still No. 1 in Korea and has now crossed $100M in China. The overall offshore drop this session was 51% for a $13.7M weekend in 52 markets.​
Japan opened this weekend, the final market to release, and claimed the No. 2 spot behind a local title. The $2.3M bow makes it the 4th highest live-action opening for an import this year. It came in 125% ahead of A Quiet Place: Day One and 25% over Alien: Covenant. Social scores are positive.​
Here are the Top 5 markets to date: China ($100.6M), UK ($15.9M), Korea ($13.9M), France ($10.7M) and Mexico ($7.9M).​
Deadpool & Wolverine is not ready to say Bye Bye Bye, adding another $8.4M in 52 markets for an overseas cume of $673.2M and a running global total of $1,287.2M after seven weekends.​

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thursday Preview Numbers -

1726264721694.png

Not much is expected to change this weekend with only a few new releases, possibly Speak No Evil may do well, but its sort of another soft weekend as we head to mid-September. And likely the second to last weekend for IO2 with it going to D+ on Sept 25th.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Preliminary weekend numbers, as expected not much changed, Speak No Evil did well enough to make it to #2 but not really impressive numbers. DP&W did cross the $1.3B WW mark this weekend.

1726434291461.png

celluloid

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is quite impressive. Of course, decades long hype to finally see it happening has the novel appeal, but even with that, I don't think there has ever been such a gap before in cinema with as many years as 1988 to 2024 with such direct sequel including returning title character and main cast. Movie history in itself.

Box office this next coming weekend will surpass 6 billion for the year.

DisneyWarrior27

Preliminary weekend numbers, as expected not much changed, Speak No Evil did well enough to make it to #2 but not really impressive numbers. DP&W did cross the $1.3B WW mark this weekend.

View attachment 815769
And it also beat out a piece of right-wing propaganda in Am I Racist. You know when Bob Iger says audiences want neutral entertainment at the movies, you should heed his advice and probably listen to the audiences.

Vegas Disney Fan

Predictions still have it coming in less than 2023. We'll see how it turns out come December. But contraction year-over-year in the box office is not what the market needs, especially right now.
With fewer movies this year that’s not too surprising, it’s been a much better year for the studios (so they probably don’t care) but the total box office dropping definitely hurts the theaters.

celluloid

Predictions still have it coming in less than 2023. We'll see how it turns out come December. But contraction year-over-year in the box office is not what the market needs, especially right now.

I feel bold enough to say it will end close to 7. But that is understandable to match last year considering that there was a Strike that pushed releases around and made things wonky.

Studios needed the hits, and they got them. The spread is becoming more familiar.

DKampy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is quite impressive. Of course, decades long hype to finally see it happening has the novel appeal, but even with that, I don't think there has ever been such a gap before in cinema with as many years as 1988 to 2024 with such direct sequel including returning title character and main cast. Movie history in itself.

Box office this next coming weekend will surpass 6 billion for the year.
Top Gun was a similar length from original to sequel

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I feel bold enough to say it will end close to 7. But that is understandable to match last year considering that there was a Strike that pushed releases around and made things wonky.

Studios needed the hits, and they got them. The spread is becoming more familiar.
I actually think it'll be over 7, but that is still way below last year. And yes its understandable with the strike. But the whole point is the last 4 years has been hard on the market, and its something that is not easy to recover from. Just saying, the longer we go with the market being as low as it has been the harder it is to recover, and more people are willing to forego going to the theater.

Anyways I don't want to do another go around on this whole conversation that we've debated many times before. I'm just saying its still not out of the woods, something I worry will have long term negative effects the kinds I've mentioned before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom