Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

celluloid

Deadpool was going to be a hit no matter what; it’s Deadpool. However Deadpool is not really the MCU; it’s stand alone.

The success of the movie doesn’t really tell us anything with how the MCU will do next year. Apparently the next Cap movie is back to reshoots again? If that is true it’s budget has likely swelled incredibly high.

The MCU still has a fair number of box office issues to address we’ll see what next year brings.
It also had its ace in the hole that not only is it a climax to a set up to follow huts, it got Jackman back as Wolverine.

I would much rather be a Uni studio exec with a variety of hits and brand advocacy/trust.

Last edited:

Dranth

I would much rather be a Uni studio exec with a variety of hits and brand advocacy/trust.
What variety of hits?

Unless I am missing one of theirs, the only movies they have released so far this year to do much more than break even are Despicable Me 4 and Kung Fu Panda 4.

Maybe we are defining hits differently or you are talking longer term?

Last edited:

easyrowrdw

Or…
The success of “woke” narratives in films varies with the target market. The Barbie movie resonates well with its core audience of young girls and women, aligning with themes of empowerment and diversity.
In contrast, franchises like Marvel and Star Wars have historically male-dominated fanbases, making it more challenging to integrate progressive themes without facing resistance from a wide part of their audience.

Ultimately, understanding and appealing to the target market, managing audience expectations, and authentically weaving themes into the story are key factors in the success of any film narrative.

Hugh Jackman, Ryan Reynolds, and the entire Deadpool movie provided a warm, loving embrace for the Marvel male target audience. Similarly, Robert Downey Jr. as Dr. Doom will also excite and engage that target market.

I think this makes sense. It really does seem to vary depending on the movie/studio/audience. I know people who have boycotted Disney over some of these cultural issues. But I think more people take it on a case-by-case basis.
I suppose I find it difficult to wrap my head around the idea that the DeSantis feud can have had such an impact, particularly given that the trends under discussion happened at an international level. Anyway, I’m happy to accept that there are no simple explanations.
I think it was more than just DeSantis. Around the same time you had statements from more than one Disney exec about their plans to have more gay characters in Disney media. Lightyear was released shortly after these events and then Strange World a few months later. But it's been two years and both "sides" seem to have backed off. I saw this article (NY Times, reprinted on Yahoo) and it seems relevant.

DKampy

I think this makes sense. It really does seem to vary depending on the movie/studio/audience. I know people who have boycotted Disney over some of these cultural issues. But I think more people take it on a case-by-case basis.

I think it was more than just DeSantis. Around the same time you had statements from more than one Disney exec about their plans to have more gay characters in Disney media. Lightyear was released shortly after these events and then Strange World a few months later. But it's been two years and both "sides" seem to have backed off. I saw this article (NY Times, reprinted on Yahoo) and it seems relevant.
What is wrong with having more representation?…,despite what the Disney ranters say straight white males is still the most represented demographic in film and it is not even close

easyrowrdw

What is wrong with having more representation?…,despite what the Disney ranters say straight white males is still the most represented demographic in film and it is not even close
The people that boycotted disney because of gay characters or poc characters are losers.
I didn't think the discussion was about the validity of the opinions or the people who hold them, but about how they may have impacted the box office.

BrianLo

What variety of hits?

Unless I am missing one of theirs, the only movies they have released so far this year to do much more than break even are Despicable Me 4 and Kung Fu Panda 4.

Maybe we are defining hits differently or you are talking longer term?

We’re watching the dying breath of the fanboys in withdrawal/staged recovery that we said would disappear the moment there were a string of hits. Proving true. Now they are hitching their wagons to the stock price or whatever other barometer of revenge.

Of course, Comcast just had an abysmal report too…

peng

Wasn't expecting IO2 to be as big as of a hit as it is, felt like it would underperform, Deadpool and Wolverine doing well isn't surprising though (only other film this year that had this sure bet of a performance is DM4).
We’re watching the dying breath of the fanboys in withdrawal/staged recovery that we said would disappear the moment there were a string of hits. Proving true. Now they are hitching their wagons to the stock price or whatever other barometer of revenge.

Something I have learned from following WBD is that investors surprisingly don't care that much about stock price as you would think, Zaslav has tanked WB's value to almost penny stock status and there's no chance he will get pushed out (though there are investor groups now pressuring him to sell off as many assets as possible and split the company).
Similarly with Iger, there was a lot of doubt last year after nothing at the box office worked, though if he pushed back the date that he was leaving again, maybe there would be calls to step down outside of the usuals on this forum. I hate the "make 2019 happen via science or magic strategy" that he's using, but Wall Street won't push him out. As for the complaints about LGBT people in their movies, those who are complaining are cowards. Lightyear and Strange World bombed because they were bad movies, simple as that.

DKampy

I didn't think the discussion was about the validity of the opinions or the people who hold them, but about how they may have impacted the box office.
My apologies if I read the context of what you wrote incorrect… I thought you were pointing out Disney was the issue for wanting more representation in the film

I still don’t think failing or succeeding has as much to do with any so called “woke” material as people think… even if I was starting to believe that people were falling for the YouTube ragers agendas… this year is showing that was not the case myself. They were just going after easy targets that would not have succeeded either way… shows like The Boys showed it was not the case… there was some pushback against that show…but when the show was still a hit….all was quiet as it did not fit their narrative

I believe people would. of twisted things to fit their ideology agenda if Inside Out 2 was not a success… heck we had someone in this very thread complaining that the hockey coach was a black female

Vegas Disney Fan

No Way Home, Thor 4, Wakanda Forever, DS: MoM and GoTG3. Even Secret Invasion that I incredibly bounced off of had shockingly good viewership.

It’s less that this is a one-off exception - and more like everything they serve us is not a guaranteed billion earner like it was in the hey day. Some of that is content flooding and people realizing they can skip things and it’s not really earth shattering to do so.

Even D3, which I absolutely love, is seemingly entirely skippable and self contained, for now.

All that said, they hit the break glass in case of emergency at Comic Con. Even if Cap 4 misses, I think there are some billion earners on their slate. The death of the MCU and Pixar were exaggerated and both were just incessantly hurt by Chapek’s D+.

“shockingly good viewership” feels generous but I agree that they were solid performers, not money printers like old Marvel but solid performers.

Bringing back RDJ does feel a bit “break glass in case of emergency” but it’s working, I can’t wait to see what he does with that character, I haven’t been this excited about Marvel since Endgame.

DKampy

It is interesting how some have quietly disappeared with some successful hits

TP2000

Hiya gang! I apologize this box office info is so late, as I had a very busy weekend. 🍸

But here's the Box Office nitty gritty on the bonzo boffo weekend that Deadpool & Wolverine just did! Assuming it has the usual $200 Million budget for Marvel, it will need $600 or Million or so globally to break even. That's going to be pretty much a given at this point!

Sorry I'm Tardy.jpg

Meanwhile, in Anaheim, I have no idea what this is about but this is happening... 🤣

TP2000

Yeah most people don’t have an issue with those themes or find them Woke. They have been common themes in movies now for a while.

For about 60 years actually. I was hoping Elemental would have been a bit more real in its rehash of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (one of my all time favorites!), instead of the fire folks just being automatically accepting and happy. Pixar seemed to take the least conflictual way through that plot, which could have been a funny/thoughtful way to play the story to adults if it had some more friction among characters.

Even the pro-marriage Katherine Hepburn had to sit down when she first met Dr. Prentice in her living room. 🤣

TP2000

“Wokeness” was never a sole factor, and it’s not a binary (pun intended) on/off switch. Its context has also changed. Situations evolve. Creators learn lessons. Etc.

Disney certainly learned a few lessons at the Box Office the past two years. :oops:

It seems the course correction has already begun for them. But we'll likely need to wait to see non-sequel stuff come out for the family audience demographic from Pixar and WDAS through 2025 that isn't woke before we can all relax again.

TP2000

It is interesting how some have quietly disappeared with some successful hits

I'm here, I'm here!

I've just been very busy the past few weeks; I almost bit off more than I can chew in hosting a bigger than usual sociable. Thank God for the kids from The Mobile Intoxicologists and their hilarious bar car, which I highly recommend for folks in San Diego County who plan a bigger 'do than they can handle with just a helper or two.

But I'm here! I will double down and play catchup this week before I get busy again with family in August. 🧐

easyrowrdw

My apologies if I read the context of what you wrote incorrect… I thought you were pointing out Disney was the issue for wanting more representation in the film

I still don’t think failing or succeeding has as much to do with any so called “woke” material as people think… even if I was starting to believe that people were falling for the YouTube ragers agendas… this year is showing that was not the case myself. They were just going after easy targets that would not have succeeded either way… shows like The Boys showed it was not the case… there was some pushback against that show…but when the show was still a hit….all was quiet as it did not fit their narrative

I believe people would. of twisted things to fit their ideology agenda if Inside Out 2 was not a success… heck we had someone in this very thread complaining that the hockey coach was a black female
I was trying to say that it wasn't just DeSantis but people also responding to some of Disney's actions/statements.

I've never seen The Boys, but it's not a Disney show, is it? I think some people have different standards or expectations when it comes to Disney, particularly Disney animated/family movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom