Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

BrianLo

Kinda crazy that with as good as Inside Out did its second weekend the overall box office was still lower than last year when Transformers Rise of the Beast(?) opened and bombed or the following weekend when The Flash opened and bombed.

A complete dearth of anything has proceeded this. When Apes is clinging to the fourth position with a B cinema score in week 7 of release, you know the competition is a mess.

No shade to Apes, but it’s clearly taking advantage of this years poor release calendar and poorly connecting competitor movies.

BrianLo

Speaking of competition. At least Warner isn’t on the hook for Horizon.

We’ll see of course given the totally erratic tracking of IO2, Horizon is something I feel tracking will poorly metrically understand.

IO2 widely expected to three-peat. But Quiet Place could randomly surprise and it is taking the premium screens away.

brideck

We’ll see of course given the totally erratic tracking of IO2, Horizon is something I feel tracking will poorly metrically understand.

IO2 widely expected to three-peat. But Quiet Place could randomly surprise and it is taking the premium screens away.

If there happen to be any fans of hand-drawn animation in the house, I could not recommend Robot Dreams more. It was probably my favorite of the 2023 animated nominations. Simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking, all without any real dialogue. It's around this weekend, too, but unfortunately not in a whole lot of theaters.

For those with kids, Common Sense recommends 8+, which I would generally concur with.

Ghost93

I'm low-key excited for Horizon. Releasing a movie and its sequel in theaters two months apart is a ballsy strategy, but it has piqued my interest.

I'm sure the new Quite Place will be a solid movie as well.

TP2000

Not to go off on more of a tangent, but hockey is really popular in California especially the Bay Area. There are multiple youth leagues in the Bay Area, both boys and girls. So its not really that hard of a feat to find here in the Bay Area. There are also multiple year round ice rinks around the area, 3 in just 10 miles of me.

You forgot I used to live in California, in an upper-middle class suburb where expensive boutique sports abound for kids. I never knew a single child in my neighborhood who played ice hockey, male or female. Plenty of families went to Ducks games, but children actually playing ice hockey? It happens I'm sure, but it's statistically very, very rare.

Most comfy suburban kids in SoCal play soccer or water polo or swim/dive or surf, in addition to the usual American sports of football-basketball-baseball or softball for girls. I noticed teenage Lacrosse leagues/teams getting big in the past few years, which as a former New Englander made me chuckle that it finally found its way out here.

But girls ice hockey? There's a reason why USA Hockey can only track 10,700 American girls aged 13 or 14 who are actively involved in an ice hockey league in this nation in 2024.

It's prominence in the Inside Out 2 plotline lit up a little Gaydar light for me when watching the commercials on TV, that's all. The Gaydar light would have flashed brighter had Riley played fast pitch softball, but girls ice hockey was enough to make me think "Hmm...". 🤣

LittleBuford

You forgot I used to live in California, in an upper-middle class suburb where expensive boutique sports abound for kids. I never knew a single child in my neighborhood who played ice hockey, male or female. Plenty of families went to Ducks games, but children actually playing ice hockey? It happens I'm sure, but it's statistically very, very rare.

Most comfy suburban kids in SoCal play soccer or water polo or swim/dive or surf, in addition to the usual American sports of football-basketball-baseball or softball for girls. I noticed teenage Lacrosse leagues/teams getting big in the past few years, which as a former New Englander made me chuckle that it finally found its way out here.

But girls ice hockey? There's a reason why USA Hockey can only track 10,700 American girls aged 13 or 14 who are actively involved in an ice hockey league in this nation in 2024.

It's prominence in the Inside Out 2 plotline lit up a little Gaydar light for me when watching the commercials on TV, that's all. The Gaydar light would have flashed brighter had Riley played fast pitch softball, but girls ice hockey was enough to make me think "Hmm...". 🤣
It’s already been explained to you multiple times that the ice-hockey theme goes back to the first film, so why keep going on about it?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Did you live in the Bay Area like where the movie takes place? If not then how can you speak with any certainty what happens with youth sports here, just because you can do a google search. I actually live here, and can say I personally know several kids (both boys and girls) that play hockey, and go to a similar hockey camp that is portrayed in the movie.

Not only that but why keep insisting that its a new thing in Inside Out 2. Its very prominent in the first film and this is just a continuation of that.

Also I find it funny that you think Lacrosse (also field hockey) is only a recent thing in California.

TP2000

A complete dearth of anything has proceeded this. When Apes is clinging to the fourth position with a B cinema score in week 7 of release, you know the competition is a mess.

It's a shame Disney didn't have another completely finished tentpole family movie to release this summer... something like the live action remake of Snow White that's allegedly just sitting on a shelf all completed until next spring. 🧐

No shade to Apes, but it’s clearly taking advantage of this years poor release calendar and poorly connecting competitor movies.

Speaking of Apes 9: Weekend at Charlton's, here's how that movie's financials look at the global box office after 7+ weeks in theaters. It's looking like it will not quite hit profitability.

Apes 9: $160 Production, $80 Marketing, $99 Domestic, $88 Overseas = $53 Million Loss thus far

Ape... well, you know.jpg

TP2000

It’s already been explained to you multiple times that the ice-hockey theme goes back to the first film, so why keep going on about it?

I was responding to a response about my response, a discussion you might call it. On a discussion forum. It's an unusual choice to make for a young girl in a cartoon movie that's now a franchise; she's really into ice hockey. Seems odd, but okay.

Looking at the membership statistics from USA Hockey for the 2014-15 season, the numbers for girls aged 13 or 14 playing league ice hockey were even lower than they are in 2024. They had 8,044 girls nationwide that age playing on ice hockey leagues the year the first Inside Out was released by Pixar.

TP2000

Also I find it funny that you think Lacrosse (also field hockey) is only a recent thing in California.

California is huge, bigger in size than most European countries and with 39 Million people (and declining slowly).

I lived in Villa Park for over 25 years. In the 1990's and 2000's the kids there never played Lacrosse. As a native West Coaster I only knew of it once I moved to New England in the 80's; it was just unknown out west back then. I first started seeing kids playing Lacrosse at the parks in OC around 2015-ish. The past few years it's now a full blown thing. The Lutherans in particular are absolutely crazy for it over at Orange Lutheran High off Santiago Canyon.

I'm sure at some point in SoCal kids have played Lacrosse in the 20th century. But it's incredibly popular now all of a sudden with the teens, at least in my old stomping grounds of Villa Park. I've seen kids carrying Lacrosse gear in southwest Utah too. It's not just for New England any more!

TP2000

1 billion by end of the third weekend?

Let's do a status report on Inside Out 2's global box office, shall we? I imagine, before I pull up the data and do icky math, that it's already broken even and pulling in profit by a landslide...

Inside Out 2: Production $200, Marketing $100, Domestic $233, Overseas $165 = $98 Million Profit, With A Bullet!

Number One With A Bullet.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
California is huge, bigger in size than most European countries and with 39 Million people (and declining slowly).

I lived in Villa Park for over 25 years. In the 1990's and 2000's the kids there never played Lacrosse. As a native West Coaster I only knew of it once I moved to New England in the 80's; it was just unknown out west back then. I first started seeing kids playing Lacrosse at the parks in OC around 2015-ish. The past few years it's now a full blown thing. The Lutherans in particular are absolutely crazy for it over at Orange Lutheran High off Santiago Canyon.

I'm sure at some point in SoCal kids have played Lacrosse in the 20th century. But it's incredibly popular now all of a sudden with the teens, at least in my old stomping grounds of Villa Park. I've seen kids carrying Lacrosse gear in southwest Utah too. It's not just for New England any more!
Well I can't speak for SoCal, specifically your area of Villa Park, as I never lived there, but I can speak for my own HS in the Bay Area and in the 90s and can say with 100% certainty we had a Lacrosse team. Can't say if they do now, but at least when I went we did. So it wasn't new at least in my area.

And this is my point, you try to speak with some level of certainty for areas of the state you've never lived as if you know. Just because you lived in one area in the state doesn't mean you can speak with any certainty for the rest of it. I know that some from SoCal think their experience is representative of the entire state, but I can say its not.

BrianLo

It's a shame Disney didn't have another completely finished tentpole family movie to release this summer... something like the live action remake of Snow White that's allegedly just sitting on a shelf all completed until next spring. 🧐

Speaking of Apes 9: Weekend at Charlton's, here's how that movie's financials look at the global box office after 7+ weeks in theaters. It's looking like it will not quite hit profitability.

View attachment 794863

Apes 9: $160 Production, $40 Marketing, $99 Domestic, $88 Overseas = $13 Million Loss thus far

Fixed, again. You keep reverting things. You cannot keep including post theatrical marketing if you want to report and calculate theatrical profit only.

Ya it’s not quite theatrically profitable, give or take some hollywood math. But this one very clearly pushing in the black in the back end. I’m sure it has another 10 million or so randomly in the tank worldwide, so it will theatrically approach break even for all intents and purposes.

Farerb

Snow White is not completed. They're currently doing reshoots.

Casper Gutman

I'm low-key excited for Horizon. Releasing a movie and its sequel in theaters two months apart is a ballsy strategy, but it has piqued my interest.

I'm sure the new Quite Place will be a solid movie as well.
I really can't see any reason to be excited for Horizon. The trailers seem to promise a narratively unfocused film with uninspired cinematography and bored, bland performances. Its a film with no clear reason to exist. Reviews reinforce this impression.

I love westerns and would be very happy to see the genre make one of its periodic resurgences, so I'm particularly irked by such a high profile but apparently artless example of the genre.

Ghost93

I really can't see any reason to be excited for Horizon. The trailers seem to promise a narratively unfocused film with uninspired cinematography and bored, bland performances. Its a film with no clear reason to exist. Reviews reinforce this impression.

I love westerns and would be very happy to see the genre make one of its periodic resurgences, so I'm particularly irked by such a high profile but apparently artless example of the genre.
I'm just saying I'm excited about seeing how the gimmick of releasing a movie and its sequel in the same summer pays off. The movie might be awful, but I admire bold swings, even if they totally miss the mark.

MaXXXine is my most anticipated movie of the summer, however.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom