Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

LSLS

I have no idea what the Fall Guy is? Maybe that's another point to consider. As people have left cable and commercials behind, and go to less movies, they don't see these previews as much. I think I said earlier, I had no idea Inside Out 2 was coming out as recently as a week before the release. I have no idea what Fall guy is, let alone that it's in theaters. I'm pretty sure I had no idea on the opening date for Wish either (outside of maybe on these forums). I wonder if there is something to the idea that maybe marketing of coming releases needs to change up some (or I'm just a wild outlier).

brideck

I have no idea what the Fall Guy is? Maybe that's another point to consider. As people have left cable and commercials behind, and go to less movies, they don't see these previews as much. I think I said earlier, I had no idea Inside Out 2 was coming out as recently as a week before the release. I have no idea what Fall guy is, let alone that it's in theaters. I'm pretty sure I had no idea on the opening date for Wish either (outside of maybe on these forums). I wonder if there is something to the idea that maybe marketing of coming releases needs to change up some (or I'm just a wild outlier).

Right, so that makes me ask the question where do you (and anyone else) get information about movies these days? And how can studios inject awareness of releases to that audience?

Personally, since I'm actively interested in movies, I follow a lot of studios/distributors on the flaming wreck of Twitter, so I get information presented to me on a platter. For example, I can tell you that Searchlight's releasing Kinds of Kindness soon (in NY/LA this weekend, wider next weekend), they just put out a teaser for Jesse Eisenberg's A Real Pain, due out this fall, and that Nightb***h is getting a TIFF premiere. And all of that is from stuff that's come across my feed in just the last 24 hours.

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

““The Fall Guy” TV show originally aired from November 4, 1981, to May 2, 1986.

In comparison to other popular shows of that era, such as “The A-Team,” “Magnum, P.I.,” and “Knight Rider,” “The Fall Guy” held its own particularly in its first few seasons but struggled to maintain its initial high rankings as the series progressed. While it wasn’t always in the top tier, it was a recognizable and beloved show of the early 80s.”

Last edited:

LSLS

Right, so that makes me ask the question where do you (and anyone else) get information about movies these days? And how can studios inject awareness of releases to that audience?

Personally, since I'm actively interested in movies, I follow a lot of studios/distributors on the flaming wreck of Twitter, so I get information presented to me on a platter. For example, I can tell you that Searchlight's releasing Kinds of Kindness soon (in NY/LA this weekend, wider next weekend), they just put out a teaser for Jesse Eisenberg's A Real Pain, due out this fall, and that Nightb***h is getting a TIFF premiere. And all of that is from stuff that's come across my feed in just the last 24 hours.
And that's the rub I guess, I really don't get info on movies. I'm on facebook some, so advertisements on there could work? But in lies the problem of streaming services I think. I personally don't really watch D+ right now (I'm going back through some old series on Netflix and Peacock if I'm watching TV at all), so I only see advertisements for their movies. Maybe there needs to be more money thrown at advertising on other network streaming services? I mean, back in the day I would see a Disney preview on NBC, not sure why the same shouldn't apply to streaming.

I also think there is a big miss with sports streaming. During the winter, I'd say 85% of my TV viewing is hockey. During commercial breaks, they simply show a Balley symbol (if it's a local team), or an ESPN thing if it's national. I've never figured out why they don't sell that commercial space. Changing out of a streaming app and back for a minute and a half is way more work than it was to change a channel real quick, so I feel like that's an easy win for both streamer and advertiser.

Cause here's the bottom line. I saw the Inside Out 2 trailer when it dropped. I thought it looked good, and was excited for it. But once I ran to Youtube to watch it a few months ago (or a month, whenever), it kind of left my brain. I wasn't hit with "Opening in 3 weeks" or 2 weeks, etc. So it's not just about getting that trailer out there and viewed, it's about keeping the knowledge of the opening date out there, and making sure people have saved the money to splurge on it (again, back to the money thing).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And yet we have a movie like The Fall Guy, which by all measures is "good content" and should have been a hit, and it could barely rise above the bow. And before someone makes a comment, no that wasn't for political reasons.

So this idea that all it takes is for good content to be released and the audience will come flocking is bunk. Hollywood has been trying to crack the code for generations on what audiences want. And just when they think they crack the code the audience changes and you have what should be sure fire hits failing. Its making the whole industry question what the audience wants, and they really want to know....

I just don’t think there’s as much of a market for that kinda movie today…adult rom com/action

Like bird on a wire or something?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
““The Fall Guy” TV show originally aired from November 4, 1981, to May 2, 1986.

In comparison to other popular shows of that era, such as “The A-Team,” “Magnum, P.I.,” and “Knight Rider,” “The Fall Guy” held its own particularly in its first few seasons but struggled to maintain its initial high rankings as the series progressed. While it wasn’t always in the top tier, it was a recognizable and beloved show of the early 80s.”
Yeah…some of us remember Lee majors…but that show jumping to a movie take 40 years in the future wouldn’t be my first thought

Some of us remember TJ Hooker too 😱

erasure fan1

And yet we have a movie like The Fall Guy, which by all measures is "good content" and should have been a hit, and it could barely rise above the bow. And before someone makes a comment, no that wasn't for political reasons.
Did you even read what I said? I said in MOST situations. Yes, sometimes something that checks all the, this should be a hit boxes, doesn't do well. Just like something that has failure written all over it, becomes a hit.

Muppets mayhem was really good, one of the best D+ shows they've done. It didn't click, it happens. That doesn't mean some hate mob influenced people not to watch it because of minority leads. What it means is Disney has mishandled the muppets and people didn't care. So instead of looking at how it was received, the great buzz and a #1 album and building off it. They cancelled it.

Nothing is always or never and by this stage of life you should know that. Maybe the fallguy was a victim of the I'm just sick of remakes sentiment. I know remake is a loose term for it. Lots of people don't know that it's a show, but people Google, and if you see, based on the tv show from the 70s, you could just say I'm out. And people who do know, might have just rolled their eyes and moved on.
So this idea that all it takes is for good content to be released and the audience will come flocking is bunk.
So because inside out 2s success means the hate network is debunked? You can't pick and choose the situations that only fit your argument. That's not how it works. People can't say if barbie was Disney it would have failed because they're not going after other studios. Well rings of Power says otherwise. If you don't think that good content gives studios the best chance to be successful, you're looking at things all wrong in my opinion. It kind of seems like it's being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

LittleBuford

Apropos of the current discussion, I should note that there are posters in this very forum who view Disney’s supposed agenda as the (main) reason for the company’s recent box-office troubles. For such posters, Inside Out 2 is doing well precisely because it is free of any “agenda”.

I mention this because some of the posts of the last few pages would seem to imply that it’s only Disney’s defenders who are invoking ideological factors to account for what we’ve seen at the box office in recent years. That is not the case; the company’s critics are saying the same thing, and much more vociferously.

Phroobar

Did you even read what I said? I said in MOST situations. Yes, sometimes something that checks all the, this should be a hit boxes, doesn't do well. Just like something that has failure written all over it, becomes a hit.

Muppets mayhem was really good, one of the best D+ shows they've done. It didn't click, it happens. That doesn't mean some hate mob influenced people not to watch it because of minority leads. What it means is Disney has mishandled the muppets and people didn't care. So instead of looking at how it was received, the great buzz and a #1 album and building off it. They cancelled it.

Nothing is always or never and by this stage of life you should know that. Maybe the fallguy was a victim of the I'm just sick of remakes sentiment. I know remake is a loose term for it. Lots of people don't know that it's a show, but people Google, and if you see, based on the tv show from the 70s, you could just say I'm out. And people who do know, might have just rolled their eyes and moved on.

So because inside out 2s success means the hate network is debunked? You can't pick and choose the situations that only fit your argument. That's not how it works. People can't say if barbie was Disney it would have failed because they're not going after other studios. Well rings of Power says otherwise. If you don't think that good content gives studios the best chance to be successful, you're looking at things all wrong in my opinion. It kind of seems like it's being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.
For me I meant to see the Fall Guy. I just didn't think about it. It wasn't a priority. They had a fun preshow at USH Water World. I'll see it on streaming. I loved the show as a kid. It had Lee Majors, Heather Thomas and Markie Post (from Night Court). Lee Majors was a part time stunt man and bounty hunter. All three would hunt down bad guys and do stunts. Somehow Heather and Markie always ended up in bikinis. Great times!

The plot of the movie really had nothing do with the show since Goslings character wasn't a part time bounty hunter. They do try to find a missing person so it could have been a one off episode. It was written by Glen Larson from the original show and Magnum PI and Battlestar Galactica.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Apropos of the current discussion, I should note that there are posters in this very forum who view Disney’s supposed agenda as the (main) reason for the company’s recent box-office troubles. For such posters, Inside Out 2 is doing well precisely because it is free of any “agenda”.

I mention this because some of the posts of the last few pages would seem to imply that it’s only Disney’s defenders who are invoking ideological factors to account for what we’ve seen at the box office in recent years. That is not the case; the company’s critics are saying the same thing, and much more vociferously.
Did you just recycle your June 2023 deep dive posts?

(That’s rhetorical…by the way)

CinematicFusion

There is a strong argument that the success of the Barbie movie lies in its focus on its core audience. By embracing Barbie as a girl-centric brand, it played to its strengths, resonating deeply with its primary demographic. The film’s marketing and content were specifically designed to appeal to a younger, predominantly female demographic. According to data, 66.2% of the Barbie audience was female, and 74.6% were under the age of 29, with nearly half below the age of 22

In contrast, some argue that Star Wars historically appeals more to boys, and efforts to make it more inclusive of girls have not always been well-received by all fans. This approach may have diluted its original appeal, leading to mixed reactions from its traditional audience.
For example, data shows that the audience for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” was predominantly male, with 70.4% of the opening night audience being men. This trend continued throughout the opening weekend, where 67.8% of viewers were male . Additionally, the overall demographic of Star Wars fans is heavily male, with around 59.67% of fans being men and 40.33% women. Among avid fans, the gender split is even more pronounced, with 65.74% men and 34.26% women .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You may get further if you actually read what others posted and engaged in good faith.
It was a year of “the vast bigot conspiracy”…but that was wrong. It was given more than enough air (and more respect than it ever deserved)…now it’s time to move on.

Inside out 2 has been well recieved and is resonating. That’s a good movie.

Ones that struggle and lose money…nobody streams…and are forgotten months later are bad movies.

See the difference?

Failure on its own merits…not conspiracy.

Someone can realize that people don’t always act the way you want and still not be an evil regressive. Pragmatism is still a real thing.

The gang of 5 around here had plenty of time to throw veiled accusations. They were never correct.

Tony the Tigger

Just when you thought it was safe to read a thread again, the usual suspects come up with even more insipid and inane ways to try and defend bad output.

So anyone who doesn't like a movie that some of the movie experts in here like is now a member of "the hate network". And this alleged "network" has the power to influence tens of millions of people to not go watch a movie based on their word only.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

"Hello in there, Cliff. Tell me - What color is the sky in your world?" - Dr. Frasier Crane
All that huffing and puffing for naught, easily avoided with more astute reading comprehension.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just when you thought it was safe to read a thread again, the usual suspects come up with even more insipid and inane ways to try and defend bad output.

So anyone who doesn't like a movie that some of the movie experts in here like is now a member of "the hate network". And this alleged "network" has the power to influence tens of millions of people to not go watch a movie based on their word only.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

"Hello in there, Cliff. Tell me - What color is the sky in your world?" - Dr. Frasier Crane
The hate network doesn’t affect tens of millions…

It’s consolidated control over billions with access to movie theaters in 200 countries…so that the minuscule number needed to buy tickets don’t show and they can’t turn a profit.

It started with the good dinosaur…the network has been in full control ever since

LittleBuford

It was a year of “the vast bigot conspiracy”…but that was wrong. It was given more than enough air (and more respect than it ever deserved)…now it’s time to move on.

Inside out 2 has been well recieved and is resonating. That’s a good movie.

Ones that struggle and lose money…nobody streams…and are forgotten months later are bad movies.

See the difference?

Failure on its own merits…not conspiracy.

Someone can realize that people don’t always act the way you want and still not be an evil regressive. Pragmatism is still a real thing.

The gang of 5 around here had plenty of time to throw veiled accusations. They were never correct.
I have never subscribed to or advanced anything resembling “the vast bigot conspiracy”. On the contrary, I was originally very dismissive of the idea that Disney’s box-office performance was in any meaningful way impacted by ideological factors, though I now think these factors may have played at least some role in certain demographic quarters.

In any case, my post was about where the claims were coming from, not their validity. Had you paid attention to what I actually wrote, you would have seen that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have never subscribed to or advanced anything resembling “the vast bigot conspiracy”. On the contrary, I was originally very dismissive of the idea that Disney’s box-office performance was in any meaningful way impacted by ideological factors, though I now think these factors may have played at least some role in certain demographic quarters.

In any case, my post was about where the claims were coming from, not their validity. Had you paid attention to what I actually wrote, you would have seen that.
…stop the presses…
You never said “we know what you’re like/mean” in your posts on the struggles of the movie studios?

You positive? Judgment day always come

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom