Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

DKampy

Interesting. And it appears to be true Disney is not releasing box office data for it, as it doesn't show up on any of the usual box office reporting websites today.

$500,000 divided by 250 theaters comes in at a total of $2,000 per theater for the entire weekend of showings.

It's probably best to chalk this up as one of those studio write-offs they do occasionally, and just forget about it as far as this thread goes on box office reporting.
That is not what’s happening here… Young Woman and the Sea is a streaming movie for all intents and purpose… but after receiving very high scores at test screenings it was decided to put in theaters a couple of weeks before it’s Disney Plus debut for awards consideration…

TP2000

That is not what’s happening here… Young Woman and the Sea is a streaming movie for all intents and purpose… but after receiving very high scores at test screenings it was decided to put in theaters a couple of weeks before it’s Disney Plus debut for awards consideration…

Ah, okay. Still, for the purposes of this thread for tracking box office, it's probably best to ignore it for now and not try to hold it to any sort of previous theatrical standard, much less track its box office receipts.

BrianLo

Isn't Furiosa Warner?

I'm being obstinate and refusing to call May summer. 😂

But ya all five of them had an "attempted" tentpole in that May window. Disney with Apes, Warner with Furiosa, Universal with Fall Guy, Sony with Garfield and Paramount with IF.

I think I was just ignoring the Shamylan fare, it wasn't jumping out to me and I thought it was small budget horror when I looked at their release schedule. I think the fact they are distributing Twisters Internationally is also making their summer quite odd. Usually I'd expect something more bombastic from WB in the heart of the summer. I actually think it's the absence of a DC film from June-August is what I'm feeling.

TP2000

I would not be surprised… the series was first announced when Disney was going all in on streaming…the data is now in and it shows films do better on streaming if it is released in theaters first no matter the box office outcome…

The data is now coming in fast and furious on Tiana's new E Ticket too, and that's not good. :oops:

I wonder how the iffy at best reaction to Tiana's Bayou Adventure and its paper thin plot of nothing but happiness and conflict-free living will impact the Tiana movie?

DKampy

I am personally not interested in Bad Boys…but I was curious what it would do after the infamous “slap” and the underwhelming summer box office… it seems to be off to a good start… the previews don’t seem to be too far off what Apes was

However I am deciding to watch The watcher this weekend… The reviews make me nervous Ishana did write and directed several episodes of Servant… one of my favorite series of the last few years… and it will be free for me since my parents gave me a $100 gift card to my local theater chain for my b-day. So I am going to still give it a chance

Wendy Pleakley

I am personally not interested in Bad Boys…but I was curious what it would do after the infamous “slap” and the underwhelming summer box office… it seems to be off to a good start… the previews don’t seem to be too far off what Apes was

However I am deciding to watch The watcher this weekend… The reviews make me nervous Ishana did write and directed several episodes of Servant… one of my favorite series of the last few years… and it will be free for me since my parents gave me a $100 gift card to my local theater chain for my b-day. So I am going to still give it a chance

I haven't followed public opinion on Will Smith since the incident, but I suspect it won't hurt him too much for a few reasons.

It was an isolated incident, no pattern of violence.

No one was seriously hurt.

It was obviously wrong, but there was a reason behind it.

Someone upset at the incident to the point where they would shun Will Smith moving forward, probably isn't the type of person who would see Bad Boys to begin with.

Phroobar

I haven't followed public opinion on Will Smith since the incident, but I suspect it won't hurt him too much for a few reasons.

It was an isolated incident, no pattern of violence.

No one was seriously hurt.

It was obviously wrong, but there was a reason behind it.

Someone upset at the incident to the point where they would shun Will Smith moving forward, probably isn't the type of person who would see Bad Boys to begin with.
Actually there is a pattern of violence that he actually includes in his autobiography. Despite his public image, Will Smith is pretty controlling.

Wendy Pleakley

Actually there is a pattern of violence that he actually includes in his autobiography. Despite his public image, Will Smith is pretty controlling.

Interesting to know.

I rarely delve into the personal lives of celebrities. I imagine for most people it's the same and won't be much of a factor beyond the one very public incident.

Phroobar

Interesting to know.

I rarely delve into the personal lives of celebrities. I imagine for most people it's the same and won't be much of a factor beyond the one very public incident.
I love reading biographies. They give you a great incite to how people create. Will Smith became one of the highest paid actors in the world because he followed Arnold Schwarzenegger's advice. He said, do everything you can do promote your product and create a huge fan base. Listen to them. Give them what they want. Market yourself. Public appearance is key. Problem is he let his hubris get in the way and lost everything including his family. Who wants to see a Will Smith movie anymore?

BrianLo

Warner not shaping up well at all. Though I approve of Costner's theory that tracking may not capture Yellowstone fans. Seems possible, Yellowstone's popularity seems to totally elude normal internet based media. Don't know how much tracking could be subjected to the same phenomenon.

A quiet place initially seems like it will be fine.

TP2000

Thursday Box Office is out, including the previews, which should show us how this weekend will pan out. Apes 9 is in 5th place, and that new Will Smith movie with a slap-happy $100 Million budget is hoping for a $45 Million weekend.

Tday.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Warner not shaping up well at all. Though I approve of Costner's theory that tracking may not capture Yellowstone fans. Seems possible, Yellowstone's popularity seems to totally elude normal internet based media. Don't know how much tracking could be subjected to the same phenomenon.

A quiet place initially seems like it will be fine.
Not only is this not Yellowstone, it’s the reason Yellowstone was canceled and still hasn’t aired the final episodes. If he wanted Yellowstone fans enthusiastically on board, he should have fulfilled his obligation to the show first, IMO.

wdwgreek

Saw it in theaters this week. It was fantastic!

TP2000

Hiya, gang! It was a lazy weekend for me where I'm just puttering around the house mostly, and it was a fairly lazy early summer weekend at the Box Office too.

I guess we're just sort of waiting for Inside Out 2 later this month to really get some Disney content going at the box office. Apes 9 came in 5th place this weekend.

Weekend.jpg

TP2000

One thing of note I saw this weekend, is that in its 3rd weekend in theaters the Garfield Movie just surpassed Disney's Wish at the domestic box office. Garfield has surprisingly "strong legs" and looks to easily surpass Wish at the global box office by next weekend or so.

The most interesting part is that Garfield did that with a production budget of only $60 Million, less than a third that of the $200 Million that Disney poured into Wish. Where'd all that money go, Burbank? 🧐

I'm More Of A Dog Person.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hiya, gang! It was a lazy weekend for me where I'm just puttering around the house mostly, and it was a fairly lazy early summer weekend at the Box Office too.

I guess we're just sort of waiting for Inside Out 2 later this month to really get some Disney content going at the box office. Apes 9 came in 5th place this weekend.

View attachment 790455

FYI, Inside Out 2 comes out this next week. Time flies I know.

CinematicFusion

Not only is this not Yellowstone, it’s the reason Yellowstone was canceled and still hasn’t aired the final episodes. If he wanted Yellowstone fans enthusiastically on board, he should have fulfilled his obligation to the show first, IMO.
Didn’t Kevin Costner explain that ongoing production delays conflicted with his other commitments, leading to scheduling issues. While these complications contributed to the delay of the final episodes, Costner offered compromises that weren’t accepted. The narrative that he didn’t fulfill his obligations isn’t entirely accurate, as he tried to balance his commitments to Yellowstone and his other projects. But, that is from Costner’s side. https://uproxx.com/tv/kevin-costner-yellowstone-exit-explained-horizon-taylor-sheridan/

Miss Rori

FYI, Inside Out 2 comes out this next week. Time flies I know.
A surprising number of people online don't seem to realize this. Movie promotional efforts have been so weirdly mishandled lately, though the lack of professional reviews or even social media commentary probably isn't helping in this case. (The embargo for social media lifts tomorrow, professional reviews go live Wednesday.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom