Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s supposed to be pretty good
This is encouraging, I had a couple flights last week and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed both Barbi and Migration, it’s been a couple years since Disneys put out anything to write home about and I’d love to see them put out a few great flicks too.

It’s been so long since I lost myself in a movie I’d forgotten how relaxing it was.

brideck

It’s pretty whack how they publish 25 year old receipts in totals

Yeah, that's weird to me, too. BoxOfficeMojo keeps it to just a particular re-release:

1715747869316.png

For the record, that's about $5m better than last year's RotJ 40th anniversary re-release. I guess we can't all have good taste.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, that's weird to me, too. BoxOfficeMojo keeps it to just a particular re-release:

View attachment 785614

For the record, that's about $5m better than last year's RotJ 40th anniversary re-release. I guess we can't all have good taste.
…that is a travesty

Jedi has as much to do with the legs of the franchise as any of them

I can even argue more

Imagine if some amusement park operator built a ride like that?
…there’d only be a 6 hour wait for it…
Forever

Hell…there may be one already built that could do something similar with just a new preshow and a film/programming sequence…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I... don't know what any of this means, but to Mr. Gutman's observation, has anyone here actually seen it yet?

I've seen zero of the recent  Apes series, so don't personally have any plans for it.
My point is that some topics don’t get a lot of run here.

Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t talk about them…just means it sails past many

Are Disney fans watching commercials of apes and thinking: “that’s a Disney movie!!”

Likely no.

Now start a thread “how magical is port?” Or “mouse ear appreciation thread!!” And there will be a line for it

LittleBuford

My point is that some topics don’t get a lot of run here.

Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t talk about them…just means it sails past many

Are Disney fans watching commercials of apes and thinking: “that’s a Disney movie!!”

Likely no.

Now start a thread “how magical is port?” Or “mouse ear appreciation thread!!” And there will be a line for it
I believe @Casper Gutman’s point is that the topic most certainly would not have sailed by had the film done badly (or, by the same token, had it been a non-Disney studio profiting from it).

DKampy

I
I... don't know what any of this means, but to Mr. Gutman's observation, has anyone here actually seen it yet?

I've seen zero of the recent  Apes series, so don't personally have any plans for it.
i have seen it… It was ok… I didn’t love it….I have my theories what Casper was hinting at..as the film over performed it’s opening weekend projections

erasure fan1

I believe @Casper Gutman’s point is that the topic most certainly would not have sailed by had the film done badly (or, by the same token, had it been a non-Disney studio profiting from it).
It's just an easy way to say everyone's so anti Disney. I haven't seen it, and I probably won't see it because I've never been a fan of the apes movies. It's not done bad so far, and it has a good chance at making profit. It does seem like the budget was revised because I thought it was originally reported as 125/130mil. So now at 160/165mil, it's going need to be between 420 to 450 depending on marketing. We will see in a couple few weeks how it's trending.
There's usually a lot of chatter in this thread after a Disney film opens, but there's a real silence after Apes. Odd.
I know this is supposed to be a jab at the "Disney haters". But why aren't all the non haters talking about it? This seems to happen a lot around here. It's more of indictment on the so called fans. If people weren't talking about what went wrong with the movies, most of the topics would have just died off. Just look at mermaid. There were two threads, one for box-office and one to discuss the films content and story.... Care to guess what thread died almost instantly? Let's face it, nothing against apes but it's never really been a film that's garnered that much attention. They've done well and been consistent performers but they seem to come and go without a lot of fanfare.

Casper Gutman

It's just an easy way to say everyone's so anti Disney. I haven't seen it, and I probably won't see it because I've never been a fan of the apes movies. It's not done bad so far, and it has a good chance at making profit. It does seem like the budget was revised because I thought it was originally reported as 125/130mil. So now at 160/165mil, it's going need to be between 420 to 450 depending on marketing. We will see in a couple few weeks how it's trending.

I know this is supposed to be a jab at the "Disney haters". But why aren't all the non haters talking about it? This seems to happen a lot around here. It's more of indictment on the so called fans. If people weren't talking about what went wrong with the movies, most of the topics would have just died off. Just look at mermaid. There were two threads, one for box-office and one to discuss the films content and story.... Care to guess what thread died almost instantly? Let's face it, nothing against apes but it's never really been a film that's garnered that much attention. They've done well and been consistent performers but they seem to come and go without a lot of fanfare.
The huge bulk of contentless posts, the bad faith, the willful (and often proud) ignorance, and most of all the steadfast refusal to engage in actual discussion of the industry in general and box office in particular that define this thread have pushed out all put a small number of posters, most of whom after the schadenfreude of seeing Disney fail.

This is one of only FIVE blockbuster Disney releases in 2024 and was correctly identified in this very thread as a major bellwether of Disney’s 2024 box office prospects. Its failure to feed a narrative, however, has resulted in silence. On it’s own, Ape’s success doesn’t prove that Disney has turned a box office corner - but the reaction goes some way to clarifying the intent of many of the regular posters here.

erasure fan1

Many, and perhaps most, of the posts in this thread are written by people who’ve never seen the films whose box-office performance they’re continually commenting on! That’s why the current silence is quite telling.
I get that. But it's not all that telling. If someone isn't going to see the film, and there isn't anything to talk about yet. Why would they talk about it? I gave it it's props, and I know others did too, but there isn't all that much to talk about right now. Sure it had a good start, from what I've seen most agreed. It's far from over though. Isn't this what you guys wanted? Would you rather everyone jump in with "it's far from it's 450mil goal, it's gonna be a huge flop!!!!?" I think not. So it seems just a bit poke the bear for the sake of poking the bear.

Casper Gutman

People around here don’t care about Planet of the Apes the way they care about Disney animation or live action remakes of beloved classics. Or movies based on their favorite attraction. It’s pretty simple. The people who frequent these forums are indifferent towards Planet of the Apes.
Had it failed, they’d be VERY concerned.

Shall we go back through the thread and look at all the films that received pages and pages of discussion?

mickEblu

Had it failed, they’d be VERY concerned.

Shall we go back through the thread and look at all the films that received pages and pages of discussion?

Maybe but it’s a bad example as it’s not a property people care about. Come back with an example of people here being silent when a Disney live action remake or new animated movie kills it.

With what said I have no idea what’s going on with Planet of the Apes. Is it killing it at the box office? Getting praise from critics? I’ve never cared about the property. I think I liked one with James Franco from like 13 years ago.

DKampy

I get that. But it's not all that telling. If someone isn't going to see the film, and there isn't anything to talk about yet. Why would they talk about it? I gave it it's props, and I know others did too, but there isn't all that much to talk about right now. Sure it had a good start, from what I've seen most agreed. It's far from over though. Isn't this what you guys wanted? Would you rather everyone jump in with "it's far from it's 450mil goal, it's gonna be a huge flop!!!!?" I think not. So it seems just a bit poke the bear for the sake of poking the bear.
That’s never stoped people from posting daily updates on films that didn’t succeed… they have not seen…repeating the stuff day after day

erasure fan1

On it’s own, Ape’s success doesn’t prove that Disney has turned a box office corner - but the reaction goes some way to clarifying the intent of many of the regular posters here.
Like I said to Buford, It had a good start, that has been acknowledged by most, even the "bad faith" posters. But we'll see how it continues, hopefully it stays strong. But as of now, there's not a lot to talk about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom