Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

celluloid

I don’t think it’s going to do great. Maybe AntMan 3 numbers

I really think a lot of people are done with superhero movies for now

This. And it is sandwhiched between a different sort of, but loyal fanbase that has built across ages for nearly a decade now. Five Nights at Freddy's will be a solid moderate hit even if you are conservative in prediction.

Then Trolls 3 has a family market on the way with the boy and return of N'sync that appeals. (I am not saying Trolls 3 will have a higher box office, however it is another market share that will hurt the way Marvels holds attention.

The Marvels to break 250-300 domestically will take some pretty amazing resonating right now.

TP2000

Hey, at least Disney didn't release Killers of the Flower Moon.

That one had a Disney-esque $200 Million production budget and yet is a massive flop.

Paramount is going to lose at least $250 Million on that turkey! :eek:

BrianLo

How much money did Disney earn from streaming Elemental on Disney+???

It's proprietary, but there seems to be a function of box office and streaming success that determines the payment size. Part of what the strikes are about is the lack of transparency and payment.

The trades will eventually be privy to this behind the curtains dollar figure as residuals are determined. Spring of next year we'll see something like 120-150 million paid out to Elemental. Lightyear did 100, so I sure as heck think Elemental will be paid more.

BrianLo

Some people are using a service they (still, for now) pay for. But it’ll totally be profitable…after they account for the theatrical losses in the hundreds of millions, the billions they’re losing from the India rights acquisition and sale, and the $9 billion (baseline) they’re going to have to pay for the rest of Hulu.

In its defence, I think Hulu in isolation is actually currently profitable. So taking a bigger share is what it is.

Studios are a separate line item and accounted for separately. Unless you mean the very real destruction of Box Office potential by Chapek's past streaming decision. Totally, that is an indirect consequence of D+.

It is undeniably costly... but at the end of the day there will be a dollar figure and that dollar figure is what it cost for Disney to essentially build their own streamer from scratch rather than acquire one. Well acquire a worldwide streamer at least, they did buy a US one. Not that they could have afforded Netflix per say, but more in theory.

They built their own mini-Netflix and it was capital intensive, but we are seemingly approaching the end of that true cost as we shift to a break even+ scenario in 1-2 quarters (this or next, not the last one that hasn't been reported on yet).

TP2000

It's proprietary, but there seems to be a function of box office and streaming success that determines the payment size. Part of what the strikes are about is the lack of transparency and payment.

The trades will eventually be privy to this behind the curtains dollar figure as residuals are determined. Spring of next year we'll see something like 120-150 million paid out to Elemental. Lightyear did 100, so I sure as heck think Elemental will be paid more.

It's murky, to say the least. And yet quarter after quarter, for its entire existence, Disney+ has done nothing but lose hundreds of millions of dollars every 90 days. That can't continue.

I do wonder what sort of reporting or corporate governance changes regarding streaming financials come out of this ongoing actor's strike? It seems as though the actors want a quantifiable and reportable slice of the pie from streaming viewership, and yet streaming mostly loses the studios money.

Might the strike resolution create a union contract that has far more visible and trackable dollar amounts tied to each individual movie or show on a streaming network? That could certainly clear out the current mystery and murk.

celluloid

Dang, as a Ghostbusters fan who enjoyed the sequel "Afterlife", I am really glad that movie had finished filming and is coming out in Spring next year.

Deadpool 3 rescheduling is imminent.

The SAG Halloween costume guidelines concept is a little insane-o in my eyes.

Phroobar

Last Monday I saw Nightmare before Christmas 30th anniversary release in theater. It was fun to see that movie again on the screen. The animation still holds up but looks simple compared to Coraline and Missing Link.

Tha Realest

Last Monday I saw Nightmare before Christmas 30th anniversary release in theater. It was fun to see that movie again on the screen. The animation still holds up but looks simple compared to Coraline and Missing Link.
It is one of my favorite films of all time, but it’s tough to compare to more modern films.

And, if you want to see next level stop motion animation, watch del Toro’s Pinocchio. Impossibly beautiful.

Wendy Pleakley

I hope this is wrong.

The first one had an inflated box office due to a strategic release schedule.

It came out a month before Endgame so the unspoken message was that you have to see this in the theater to keep up with the story in order to fully appreciate what is sure to be the biggest Marvel movie to date.

It's hard to say how much money it would have made on its' own merits and therefore hard to evaluate how well the second one ultimately does in comparison.

Vegas Disney Fan

I really think a lot of people are done with superhero movies for now

I think the confusing Kang plot has turned a lot of people off Marvel. Thanos was a much easier story to follow and get invested in, the Kang plot is simply confusing and the tie in to all the D+ shows makes it even more confusing for those not staying up to date with all the D+ shows.

Indy_UK

Yeah I haven’t even got at far as any Kang content yet in the timeline and really don't want to get bogged down into anything that’s a brain strain for me

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's murky, to say the least. And yet quarter after quarter, for its entire existence, Disney+ has done nothing but lose hundreds of millions of dollars every 90 days. That can't continue.
We've tried to disabuse you of the idea that a theatrical net loss means a total net loss in the following pay-windows.

And yet, you keep up claiming this falsehood over and over again.

I'm not saying that all the big theatrical BO losers are going to eventually make a profit... but most will.

But, go ahead and keep ignoring that and making your false claims. I know I'm not going to convince you, but it will help our dear readers put your cinematic analysis in its proper context.

TP2000

We've tried to disabuse you of the idea that a theatrical net loss means a total net loss in the following pay-windows.

From Disney+?

Disney+ hasn't made a profit since it was launched. Including the most recent quarter when Disney+ lost $512 Million, Disney+ has now lost just over $11 Billion for the Walt Disney Company.

"Disney’s streaming operation lost $512 million in the most-recent quarter, the company said, bringing total streaming losses since 2019, when Disney+ was introduced, to more than $11 billion. Disney+ lost roughly 11.7 million subscribers worldwide in the three months that ended July 1, for a new total of 146.1 million."

And yet, you keep up claiming this falsehood over and over again.

I'm not saying that all the big theatrical BO losers are going to eventually make a profit... but most will.

How? DVD sales?

But, go ahead and keep ignoring that and making your false claims. I know I'm not going to convince you, but it will help our dear readers put your cinematic analysis in its proper context.

I will keep not counting Disney+ losses against these already money losing movies, and will simply keep updating the box office data as it is released. How about that? :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
From Disney+?

Disney+ hasn't made a profit since it was launched. Including the most recent quarter when Disney+ lost $512 Million, Disney+ has now lost just over $11 Billion for the Walt Disney Company.

"Disney’s streaming operation lost $512 million in the most-recent quarter, the company said, bringing total streaming losses since 2019, when Disney+ was introduced, to more than $11 billion. Disney+ lost roughly 11.7 million subscribers worldwide in the three months that ended July 1, for a new total of 146.1 million."

How? DVD sales?

I will keep not counting Disney+ losses against these already money losing movies, and will simply keep updating the box office data as it is released. How about that? :)
When D+ eventually turns a profit then what are you going to harp on.....

TP2000

So the box office pre-sales tracking and forecasts have been updated today by Box Office Pro. It's not good news for Disney.

The Marvels had its box office forecasts lowered by 9% today, and now is tracking at only a $45 to $67 Million opening weekend. The production budget is reported to be $220 Million, after a $50 Million subsidy from British taxpayers.

Breaking Even Is Hard To Do.jpg

Meanwhile, the first box office projection for Disney's Wish is out, and it's horrible. The production budget for WIsh was reported to be $200 Million.

A Wish For Better Box Office.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom