Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Chi84

Premium Member
Other than they called them “these seven characters”?
So Disney said it was going to “avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film.” “We are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community.”

There’s nothing in there that says the characters were being changed into magical or fantastical creatures or anything else. Just that the seven characters from the original film were going to be portrayed in a way that avoids stereotypes.

If Disney said they were taking a different approach with the character of Snow White (which they appear to be doing) would we assume she would be something other than a human?

It would have sounded weird if Disney said “We are taking a different approach with the dwarfs and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community.”

It would be funny if all the “no dwarfs” stuff was completely made up.

Tha Realest

There’s nothing in there that says the characters were being changed into magical or fantastical creatures or anything else. Just that the seven characters from the original film were going to be portrayed in a way that avoids stereotypes.

Instead of dwarfs, Disney will fill the void with a group of what they describe as “magical creatures,” according to casting sheets that TheWrap has seen. (They are currently looking for voice actors to give these creatures personality.) It’s unclear if they will inhabit the same roles as the dwarfs – will they be mining for jewels? Will they have names like Sleepy, Grumpy, and Bashful? – but these magical creatures will be the substitutes for the original seven dwarfs.

TP2000

I’m not seeing in that statement that the seven characters would not be dwarfs.

It's a tad confusing here this afternoon as we have two different discussions going on this topic in two different threads, but this info was posted earlier over in the Snow White thread.

It's behind a paywall at The Wrap, but in an article dated January 25th, 2022 the source for The Wrap claimed that the Disney casting sheets being used for the movie had been reworded to "magical creatures" instead of dwarves.

"Instead of dwarfs, Disney will fill the void with a group of what they describe as “magical creatures,” according to casting sheets that TheWrap has seen."

Chi84

Premium Member
Again, that's not from Disney and it's pretty flimsy. Disney is not going to slap the word "dwarfs" on everything they put out.

I don't pretend to know what's going on any more than anyone else here, but the amount of stuff that may have been made up out of whole cloth in order for people to be upset is mind-boggling. Disney is notorious for saying as little as possible, leaving reporters as well as its fans to fill in the void.

Tha Realest

Again, that's not from Disney and it's pretty flimsy. Disney is not going to slap the word "dwarfs" on everything they put out.

I don't pretend to know what's going on any more than anyone else here, but the amount of stuff that may have been made up out of whole cloth in order for people to be upset is mind-boggling. Disney is notorious for saying as little as possible, leaving reporters as well as its fans to fill in the void.
Ah yes, Drew Taylor doesn’t have sources at Disney, and is lying about having seen casting sheets.

Chi84

Premium Member
Ah yes, Drew Taylor doesn’t have sources at Disney, and is lying about having seen casting sheets.
No, I didn't say that. Everything that was said may have been 100% true - but the casting sheet was for voice characters. I'm not sure they would need or want to say dwarfs specifically.

I'm not accusing anyone of lying or misrepresenting. I'm just saying that what may have been extrapolated from very little actual information from Disney is not inconsistent with the first picture they released.

TP2000

So with Snow White going back to the drawing board and being delayed for a full year until March 21st, 2025...

That's going to leave the first five months of 2024 without any movie release from any of Disney's studios. Here's the new 2024 release schedule from Disney's various studios, after Wish opens this November 22nd;

2024 Release Schedule

May 4th, Deadpool 3 from Marvel
June 14th, Inside Out 2 from Pixar
July 5th, Mufasa: The Lion King from Walt Disney
July 26th, Captain America: Brave New World from Marvel
August 16th, Alien from 20th Century Studios
November 8th, The Amateur from 20th Century Studios
December 20th, Thunderbolts from Marvel

And that's apparently it? That's one way to reduce your losses at the box office... by not releasing movies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
So with Snow White going back to the drawing board and being delayed for a full year until March 21st, 2025...

That's going to leave the first five months of 2024 without any movie release from any of Disney's studios. Here's the new 2024 release schedule from Disney's various studios, after Wish opens this November 22nd;

2024 Release Schedule

May 4th, Deadpool 3 from Marvel
June 14th, Inside Out 2 from Pixar
July 5th, Mufasa: The Lion King from Walt Disney
July 26th, Captain America: Brave New World from Marvel
August 16th, Alien from 20th Century Studios
November 8th, The Amateur from 20th Century Studios
December 20th, Thunderbolts from Marvel

And that's apparently it? That's one way to reduce your losses at the box office... by not releasing movies.

More changes could be coming, but here's the upcoming slate of films.

F9d2ZB2bkAIOZk4 (1).png

Ghost93

I wonder if there is any possibility Avatar 3 could move back to December 2024. I remember when the 2nd movie came out either James Cameron or one of the cast members had said 95% of the movie had already been shot. But then again, James Cameron likes to give his VFX artists the time needed to perfect the final product (something Marvel has NOT done to their detriment)

TP2000

You do understand that that is not a promotion for the movie, right? And it's about working conditions and not her take on her role, right?

Yes. English is my native tongue, so I fully understand what she's saying here.

She also went on record repeatedly boasting how her version of Snow White was not at all like the 1937 version. Until it suddenly wasn't, and she's now surrounded by seven cartoon German dwarves.

What's next to be revealed from this sudden one year delay, a charming little love story where she's saved from the evil queen's curse by the prince?!? Does HR know about this?!? :eek:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
She also went on record repeatedly boasting how her version of Snow White was not at all like the 1937 version. Until it suddenly wasn't, and she's now surrounded by German dwarves. What's next to be worked on in this sudden one year delay... a charming little love story where she's saved from the evil curse by the prince?!? :eek:
That was before the strike.

You originally commented she isn't commenting.

I pointed out why.

You change the the subject by pointing out something she commented obliquely about, namely general working conditions and compensation.

I pointed out that has nothing to do with commenting on her role.

You say she did speak about her role.

But that was before the strike began and has nothing to do with your comment that she isn't commenting on her role.

Your attempt to score points devoid of facts and reality and cheap deflection that you think won't go unnoticed is very sad.

TP2000

Your attempt to score points devoid of facts and reality and cheap deflection that you think won't go unnoticed is very sad.

She's commented on her job as Snow White since the strike began. Not just commented, but she spoke purposely to reporters branded with Entertainment Tonight microphones and cameras. At an official SAG-AFTRA strike media event.

She can comment from a picket line, she can comment from a barstool. But so far on this dramatic change to her Snow White movie development and release date, she is... silent. Why is that? Cat got her tongue suddenly?

TP2000

The wheel turns...

She's not allowed to talk about it per union strike rules. As I said above.

But, keep finding ways to make her look bad in your fact-free world.

If she's not allowed to talk about acting as Snow White, why did she mention acting as Snow White at the union media event?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom