Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TP2000

Here's a fun thing to consider...

That vague announcement at D23 last weekend where Josh said they're considering a Disneyland style Indiana Jones retheme of the lackluster Dinosaur ride. Obviously, WDI (and everyone in Burbank) was assuming/hoping that Indy 5 would be another box office blockbuster when they were working on this overdue DAK idea for the past year.

Destination-D23-Indiana-Jones-Sep23.jpg

But Indy 5 turned out to be one of the biggest Hollywood flops of the past decade, in a year of several mega-budget flops for Disney's various flagship studios. Which makes building hype around their dead Indiana Jones franchise tougher for WDI and their DAK plans. The box office data on this is brutal, and must have put a damper on what they wanted to announce for DAK at Destination D23.

Here's the inflation-adjusted figures for the five Indiana Jones movies over the past 42 years.

Indy 1: $75 Production/$35 Marketing, $695 Box Office Take = $617 Million Profit
Indy 2:
$88 Production/$44 Marketing, $530 Box Office Take = $398 Million Profit
Indy 3:
$127 Production/$63 Marketing, $605 Box Office Take = $415 Million Profit
Indy 4: $271 Production/$100 Marketing, $554 Box Office Take = $184 Million Profit

Indy 5:
$300 Production/$100 Marketing, $183 Box Office Take = $217 Million Loss :eek:

You Should Have Stopped At Four.jpg

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

That vague announcement at D23 last weekend where Josh said they're considering a Disneyland style Indiana Jones retheme of the lackluster Dinosaur ride. Obviously, WDI (and everyone in Burbank) was assuming/hoping that Indy 5 would be another box office blockbuster when they were working on this overdue DAK idea.

But Indy 5 turned out to be one of the biggest Hollywood flops of the past decade, in a year of several mega-budget flops for Disney's various flagship studios. Which makes building hype around their dead Indiana Jones franchise tougher for WDI and their DAK plans. The box office data on this is brutal, and must have put a damper on what they wanted to announce for DAK at Destination D23.

Here's the inflation-adjusted figures for the five Indiana Jones movies over the past 42 years.

Indy 1: $75 Production/$35 Marketing, $695 Box Office Take = $617 Million Profit
Indy 2:
Indy 3:
Indy 4: $271 Production/$100 Marketing, $554 Box Office Take = $184 Million Profit

Indy 5:

View attachment 742412
I doubt Indy 5 was ever a factor in the decision to (possibly) put IJA in AK, with the new theme coming to the area it’s just the easiest, and more importantly the cheapest, way to update a ride that would no longer fit the new theme.

TP2000

Box office failures of core Disney IP won’t deter them. Lightyear’s failure doesn’t mean they’ll repurpose Toy Story Land, and TLM’s failure doesn’t mean they’ll do away with the current Little Mermaid attractions

Agreed.

I just think that when WDI got to work on this Indy proposal for DAK last winter/spring that they all assumed that Indy 5 would do well at the box office this summer. But it flopped, hugely.

That had to have taken some of their wind out of their sails as they were working on this Indy remake for Dinosaur.

That vague announcement at D23 last weekend where Josh said they're considering a Disneyland style Indiana Jones retheme of the lackluster Dinosaur ride. Obviously, WDI (and everyone in Burbank) was assuming/hoping that Indy 5 would be another box office blockbuster when they were working on this overdue DAK idea for the past year.

Indy 2:
Indy 3:

Indy 5:

View attachment 742412
While Indy didn’t do great at the box office, the Indy franchise preforms exceptionally well on streaming services, which is why it bombing at theaters wouldnt change a thing. Its the same for Encanto, which bombed horribly In theaters but did great in streaming and is as well going to take a considerable portion of Animal Kingdom.

DisneyHead123

Indy 2:
Indy 3:

Indy 5:

View attachment 742412
Interesting take, I can see this being the case.

Seems likely that Indy might get cut at this point. For one thing, why does he need to be in a land that would otherwise be focused primarily on Hispanic / Latino culture and geographical regions? His character is from New Jersey. For another, are The Young People going to know or care about the franchise, especially a few years from now? It makes me sad to say it, but it seems unlikely.

erasure fan1

Encanto, which bombed horribly In theaters but did great in streaming and is as well going to take a considerable portion of Animal Kingdom.
Lets not get too ahead of ourselves. They said themed experience where dino-rama is. I'd hardly call that considerable. Unless they all of a sudden reference a mini land with a ride, it just looks to be the equivalent of Moana in Epcot.

Ghost93

Seems likely that Indy might get cut at this point. For one thing, why does he need to be in a land that would otherwise be focused primarily on Hispanic / Latino culture and geographical regions? His character is from New Jersey. For another, are The Young People going to know or care about the franchise, especially a few years from now? It makes me sad to say it, but it seems unlikely.
I think the key is to make the ride understandable enough so that you don't have to have seen any Indiana Jones movies to get the gist of it.

It's unclear right now whether people don't care about Indiana Jones, or if they just don't want an old version of him like in Dial of Destiny. I thought Dial of Destiny was a well-made movie, but it wasn't what I wanted in the Indiana Jones character (fun escapism).

DKampy

I think Indiana Jones was chosen not because of the last film, but it would be easier to slot a copy of the Disneyland ride into the old Dinosaur building as it uses the same track and ride system… as something they could do rather quickly ( whatever that is in Disney terms) to combat Epic Universe

Wendy Pleakley

The last Indy movie was fairly well received and I'm sure will get plenty of views despite underperforming at the box office.

Regardless, the Indy ride at Disneyland continues to be a top draw at that park decades on.

It's an ideal attraction in my mind because it has a great IP connection, especially the iconic music, but doesn't rely on it. If you don't know who Indy even is it's still a fast paced ride through an ancient temple. It's a setting that isn't exclusive to Indiana Jones.

Ghost93

The last Indy movie was fairly well received and I'm sure will get plenty of views despite underperforming at the box office.

Regardless, the Indy ride at Disneyland continues to be a top draw at that park decades on.

It's an ideal attraction in my mind because it has a great IP connection, especially the iconic music, but doesn't rely on it. If you don't know who Indy even is it's still a fast paced ride through an ancient temple. It's a setting that isn't exclusive to Indiana Jones.
Besides, Disney/Lucasfilm can always reboot Indiana Jones in 10-15 years.

DisneyHead123

I think Indiana Jones was chosen not because of the last film, but it would be easier to slot a copy of the Disneyland ride into the old Dinosaur building as it uses the same track and ride system… as something they could do rather quickly ( whatever that is in Disney terms) to combat Epic Universe
Also interesting, I had no idea about the ride system.

It still seems like an iffy choice to me as it seems like a land focused on South and Central America should feature South and Central American characters, at least for the major attractions.

DKampy

Also interesting, I had no idea about the ride system.

It still seems like an iffy choice to me as it seems like a land focused on South and Central America should feature South and Central American characters, at least for the major attractions.
Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but I believe talented imagineers can make it work especially since I believe the Native cultures of each pertaining continent is also apart of DAK…which fits in with Indiana Jones and his study of ancient historical cultures

It also gives me hope that perhaps Disney imagineers have turned a corner at WDW. I have not experience Journey of Water
Yet, but to me it looks much better than the complaints would leave you to believe… very much in spirit of old school EPCOT Center’s edutainment

Plus the announcements at D23 seem to take consideration of long term Disney fans like Pirates lounge with the return of the Barker bird or The Test Track redo with inspiration from World of Motion

Plus something would eventually need to be done about the Country Bears… some of the show is problematic in todays world… I am just happy they are just changing the show instead of gutting the attraction

Heppenheimer

Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but I believe talented imagineers can make it work especially since I believe the Native cultures of each pertaining continent is also apart of DAK…which fits in with Indiana Jones and his study of ancient historical cultures

It also gives me hope that perhaps Disney imagineers have turned a corner at WDW. I have not experience Journey of Water
Yet, but to me it looks much better than the complaints would leave you to believe… very much in spirit of old school EPCOT Center’s edutainment

Plus the announcements at D23 seem to take consideration of long term Disney fans like Pirates lounge with the return of the Barker bird or The Test Track redo with inspiration from World of Motion

Plus something would eventually need to be done about the Country Bears… some of the show is problematic in todays world… I am just happy they are just changing the show instead of gutting the attraction
I'm really trying to wrack my memory of the show to find a single thing that anyone could possibly even remotely find offensive... I'm coming up blank... "Mama don't whoop little Buford" maybe? Unless people actually believed that song endorsed child abuse.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm really trying to wrack my memory of the show to find a single thing that anyone could possibly even remotely find offensive... I'm coming up blank... "Mama don't whoop little Buford" maybe? Unless people actually believed that song endorsed child abuse.
I’ve always enjoyed country bears but we saw it with a friend who grew up in Louisiana and she found it highly offensive, she thought they were mocking people from the south.

Personally I didn’t agree with them that it’s offensive,
I don’t think Splash was offensive either, but regardless it was really dated and I agree with Kampy a refresh is preferable to them erasing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom