Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Vegas Disney Fan

The “perception”…right or wrong…has begun to be floated that these are NOT as family oriented.

Kid oriented may be a better description, and everything to do with kids, including what subjects are appropriate for them and at what age it’s appropriate for them, is now a culture war.

Disney, thanks to some poorly crafted statements and an opportunistic Gov, has found themself right at the center of it.

When we were kids parents wouldn’t think twice about letting us watch a Disney show, it was just assumed it would be “G” rated with nothing to worry about, I think that blind trust has been lost for many parents.

Tha Realest

Kid oriented may be a better description, and everything to do with kids, including what subjects are appropriate for them and at what age it’s appropriate for them, is now a culture war.

Disney, thanks to some poorly crafted statements and an opportunistic Gov, has found themself right at the center of it.

When we were kids parents wouldn’t think twice about letting us watch a Disney show, it was just assumed it would be “G” rated with nothing to worry about, I think that blind trust has been lost for many parents.
I agree with this. As a parent of young kids today I feel like I have to safeguard them from a ton of vectors (social media, YouTube, movies/shows). There’s plenty of films, movies and content we don’t let them experience for a variety of reasons. Their grandparent died just before Soul was released, so we’ve soft pedaled that because it would have been a tough conversation. I’m an extra in a popular PG-13 film that we believe is too violent (physically and psychologically) for them to experience at this point.

There’s a general feeling some content is pushing issues to the fore that parents may not yet be ready to discuss with their children, hence the apprehension to not just view the Disney logo as a completely kid free zone.

TP2000

I think that's exactly what happened.

The financial problem for Disney is that they ditched their old customers (parents who just need reliably safe entertainment for their young children) for new customers, but the new customers either didn't show up or don't exist in big enough numbers to replace the old customers.

Hence, you've got Disney's mega-budget movies flopping all over the place, Disney+ subscriptions starting to fall, theme park attendance weakening, etc.

And the old customers are moving on and learning there's a world without Disney in their lives.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Apparently, Box Office Pro is unaware of the upcoming Halloween “bump” for Haunted Mansion.

They stopped tracking HM over a week ago.

Also never said it was for sure going to happen, just that it could.

BuddyThomas

Apparently, Box Office Pro is unaware of the upcoming Halloween “bump” for Haunted Mansion.

As as public service announcement, I will tell you all on here that I just got out of an early screening of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3, and as someone who loved the original and saw it multiple times, and as someone who does not even remember Part 2, even though I am sure I must have seen it........this third movie is absolutely God-AWFUL. I don't understand how it could have been so bad. The only positive thing about it is that it has some fairly nice cinematography of Greece, but other than that - no character development at all, barely any plot, recycled jokes from the first movie and not even slightly funny, and basically, just nothing happens. I will admit that an hour and fifteen minutes in (it is an hour and thirty minutes long), I walked out. However, I don't see anyway that the last 15 minutes saved this thing. Very unfortunate. I love Nia Vardalos and I loved the first film. I thought that August was usually the dumping ground for bad movies. Is that extending into September?

TP2000

So, wait. Are you saying that when the next Disney movie flops hard at the box office they aren't going to be able to get a cash credit from Bank of America for an 84% Tomatometer rating on the box office flop?

What about glowing reviews in the Los Angeles Times? Surely those must be worth something still. Right?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, wait. Are you saying that when the next Disney movie flops hard at the box office they aren't going to be able to get a cash credit from Bank of America for an 84% Tomatometer rating on the box office flop?

What about glowing reviews in the Los Angeles Times? Surely those must be worth something still. Right?
The article details one PR company that tried to influence low-level 'critics' to flip a splat to a fresh.

Also recounts attempts are review bombing.

That's all.

Not a perfect article. It failed to mention that RT also converts critics' reviews not only on a fresh/not-fresh scale, but on a 10 point rating. The fresh/not-fresh is an atrociously unnuanced metric. A movie can get scores of 67% from every critic, but then be advertised at 100% fresh.

BuddyThomas

As as public service announcement, I will tell you all on here that I just got out of an early screening of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3, and as someone who loved the original and saw it multiple times, and as someone who does not even remember Part 2, even though I am sure I must have seen it........this third movie is absolutely God-AWFUL. I don't understand how it could have been so bad. The only positive thing about it is that it has some fairly nice cinematography of Greece, but other than that - no character development at all, barely any plot, recycled jokes from the first movie and not even slightly funny, and basically, just nothing happens. I will admit that an hour and fifteen minutes in (it is an hour and thirty minutes long), I walked out. However, I don't see anyway that the last 15 minutes saved this thing. Very unfortunate. I love Nia Vardalos and I loved the first film. I thought that August was usually the dumping ground for bad movies. Is that extending into September?
31% on Rotten Tomatoes. Ergh.

Tony the Tigger

OK, here we go. I can't even find the TLM thread, so it's landing here.

We both watched the live action TLM on Disney+ last night, after catching up on Ahsoka.

My background story: when the animated TLM came out, I did not care at all. I must have been in my mid-20's or so, and had no interest whatsoever in what looked to me like a "little girls' cartoon." I never saw it until just a few years ago when it was on TV. By then, I had learned some of the songs and what not just from going to WDW. It was OK. I remember thinking I was right to not have hurried to see it. I probably forwarded past some of the songs. (Heresy!)

I'll admit it was probably the controversy that got me more interested in the live action version. I have enjoyed some of the live actions, skipped some, and disliked some (well, mainly one) - but I don't take any of them personally as some here appear to do.

The point of all that being I have no sentimental attachment to the original. I don't care if the fish looks like the animated fish. Not one bit. I won't notice as much where the story matches or where it diverges. I don't know if Brian ever even saw the animated version.

We both dug it! I was much more vested in this version than the animated version. There were real people to look at, a real ship to watch, etc. Halle had an on-screen charm that did not come through in still photography. A naive buoyancy that reminded me of Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman." She roped you in right away, I thought. I liked the sisters, the background. The relationship with her father was relatable. Her voice is fabulous. Eric was not bad to look at. Awkwafina was funny and bawdy, per usual. Puns. Struggle. Romance.

I thought I might just "get through this" movie, and warned Brian in the beginning that I might forward past songs. I didn't. I enjoyed them. Yes, including Scuttlebutt. I thought that was clever.

And now I'll turn dark and say I think one of the reasons people might not like that song - whether they're aware of it or not - is it has some hip-hop elements to it.

This film so won me over that I'm more convinced than ever I was right about the people who slammed it so disproportionately before seeing it. All the "That's not my Ariel" comments. All the "Let's see Taylor Swift play Tiana" comments. All the "Why couldn't they make a new story for a black mermaid" comments. Among other baseless complaints about acting or singing ability. If a black actress playing TLM bothers you in itself, look inward. I will be suspicious of anyone slamming this film for any of those made up "reasons."

No film is perfect. This one did not deserve the trashing it received. I would put it among my favorite live-action remakes, along with Maleficent, Cinderella, and The Jungle Book. I would watch it again.

Minor nitpicks: the effects were spotty. It took me a minute to get used to their version of "underwater." I have never been a fan of CGI in general; I feel it is overused and people just seem to overlook the odd way things look using it - that includes films from Star Wars to Harry Potter to just about everything else. IMO, if I notice it, then it isn't good CGI. (Same goes for plastic surgery LOL.) Big Ursula was especially non-impressive. Melissa herself had good moments and meh moments. Eric's belly button was kind of icky.

So, if someone is just dead-set against all live action remakes, as some here appear to be, fine. If someone is nitpicking the effects, fine. If you are against "black Ariel," that's just a shame. We both said afterwards we enjoyed this movie more than either of us expected.

Heppenheimer

A legacy sequel to a flash-in-the-pan hit from 20+ years ago? I would have been shocked if it wasn't terrible.

erasure fan1

We both watched the live action TLM on Disney+ last night,

This film so won me over that I'm more convinced than ever I was right about the people who slammed it so disproportionately before seeing it. All the "That's not my Ariel" comments.
So here would be my question to you. How is Disney going to get you, someone who went toe to toe with anyone who was against the remake, and has defended Disney more than most, to go to the theater? We all talked a lot about box office, and why Disney wasn't getting more people to the theaters. If they can't count on their biggest supporters to buy tickets, what can they do? I didn't see mermaid yet because I just don't like the remakes. So they aren't going to get me, well maybe if they do Black Cauldron. But I'll be honest, I really thought you watched it the theater. This isn't a gotcha or anything, I'm just really curious.

Ghost93

My background story: when the animated TLM came out, I did not care at all. I must have been in my mid-20's or so, and had no interest whatsoever in what looked to me like a "little girls' cartoon." I never saw it until just a few years ago when it was on TV. By then, I had learned some of the songs and what not just from going to WDW. It was OK. I remember thinking I was right to not have hurried to see it. I probably forwarded past some of the songs. (Heresy!)

I'll admit it was probably the controversy that got me more interested in the live action version. I have enjoyed some of the live actions, skipped some, and disliked some (well, mainly one) - but I don't take any of them personally as some here appear to do.

The point of all that being I have no sentimental attachment to the original. I don't care if the fish looks like the animated fish. Not one bit. I won't notice as much where the story matches or where it diverges. I don't know if Brian ever even saw the animated version.

We both dug it! I was much more vested in this version than the animated version. There were real people to look at, a real ship to watch, etc. Halle had an on-screen charm that did not come through in still photography. A naive buoyancy that reminded me of Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman." She roped you in right away, I thought. I liked the sisters, the background. The relationship with her father was relatable. Her voice is fabulous. Eric was not bad to look at. Awkwafina was funny and bawdy, per usual. Puns. Struggle. Romance.
Seems like you are one of those people who have a bias against traditional animation and automatically view it as inferior and/or more childish. That kind of attitude saddens me as it's why 2D animation — an artform I love — is largely dead in the West.

Overall, I did enjoy the Little Mermaid remake. The non-human characters, Ursula and Triton are all superior in the animated version. But everything revolving around the relationship between Ariel and Eric in the live action version was an improvement over the original. Which is probably why I really enjoyed the second half of the remake much more than the first.

Ghost93

So here would be my question to you. How is Disney going to get you, someone who went toe to toe with anyone who was against the remake, and has defended Disney more than most, to go to the theater? We all talked a lot about box office, and why Disney wasn't getting more people to the theaters. If they can't count on their biggest supporters to buy tickets, what can they do? I didn't see mermaid yet because I just don't like the remakes. So they aren't going to get me, well maybe if they do Black Cauldron. But I'll be honest, I really thought you watched it the theater. This isn't a gotcha or anything, I'm just really curious.
It reminds me of when Strange World came out and supposed LGBT allies on Twitter were blaming homophobia for its box office failure while simultaneously making it clear that they were not going to the cinemas either, saying "I can't wait for this to come to Disney Plus so I can watch it!" Waiting for Disney Plus does NOTHING to support a movie. If you want more diverse representation, you need to actually support it in the theaters.

LittleBuford

For those of you following the “Haunted Mansion Halloween Bump”, going into the weekend:

Wed: $70K, down 54% from prior week
Thurs: $53K, down 56% from prior week

Momentum is building!!!
It's not going to be a financial winner for the company. Nonetheless, I enjoyed watching it, and I can see it becoming a Halloween staple for me and others in the years ahead.

Tha Realest

It reminds me of when Strange World came out and supposed LGBT allies on Twitter were blaming homophobia for its box office failure while simultaneously making it clear that they were not going to the cinemas either, saying "I can't wait for this to come to Disney Plus so I can watch it!" Waiting for Disney Plus does NOTHING to support a movie. If you want more diverse representation, you need to actually support it in the theaters.
It’s actually quite worse than that.

If you recall, Tony slandered the Asian audiences tepid response to this film and non-support of it as a “moral failure.”

Meanwhile, he too refused to pay money to go see it, just like those he implied were racist.

TP2000

Waiting for Disney Plus does NOTHING to support a movie. If you want more diverse representation, you need to actually support it in the theaters.

That's a really good point.

The Little Mermaid was given a production budget of $250 Million, and a marketing budget of $140 Million. A movie with a total expenditure of $390 Million will NEVER make money if people watch it "for free" as part of their Disney+ subscription.

This summer saw America's first large-scale implementation where theater audiences could buy additional tickets to a movie for people who may not be able to afford tickets, in order to not only help that movie succeed theatrically but to also get its important message out to more people. A brilliant move that all studio execs are wondering how they could copy that.

But having self-professed fans purposely wait for Disney+ to see a very expensively made film "for free" isn't what Disney had in mind for Little Mermaid. And it's not a sustainable business plan for any studio, but especially for Disney with its bloated mega-budget tentpoles that then fail to break even at the box office.

Tony the Tigger

Per our usual theater going habits: there are few “must-sees.” There are some second tier films we might see just because…date night. Our schedules have to line up.

There was a point where I intended to go to the theater, but everything had to line up, and it never did. We both had to be free, awake (lol) and importantly, to me, it has to be the theater with reclining seats and not too crowded. The AMC near us has some with reclining seats and some without. Every time I looked, it was too full for us. We’d be sitting off to the side or surrounded by people. The audiences here are awful - even at matinees. They never shut up and it drives me nuts. For our last two films (Haunted Mansion and last night Barbie) we drove to the next town because the rows are more separate and it’s less busy.

So that’s my quirk, especially since covid I avoid crowds. We never go opening night anymore. Rarely opening week unless we find an empty showing. We never go to WDW on weekends or busy times. That’s just us.

But I must have checked for a viable TLM showing 6 or 8 times. It just didn’t work out before it was pulled from the theater.

I will add: we saw TLM at home on Thursday and Barbie in the theater on Friday. We preferred TLM. It was a more enjoyable watch. Our expectations certainly factored in, in both cases - low for TLM, high for Barbie. I fell asleep and missed the ending of Barbie lol, my husband had to tell me what happened on the way home. (Thanks, peach Belvedere and big Italian dinner!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom