Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Tony the Tigger

Seems like you are one of those people who have a bias against traditional animation and automatically view it as inferior and/or more childish. That kind of attitude saddens me as it's why 2D animation — an artform I love — is largely dead in the West.

Overall, I did enjoy the Little Mermaid remake. The non-human characters, Ursula and Triton are all superior in the animated version. But everything revolving around the relationship between Ariel and Eric in the live action version was an improvement over the original. Which is probably why I really enjoyed the second half of the remake much more than the first.

You would do better to ask questions rather than rudely attempt to sum me up.

I was so in love with animation that when I was young, my first thought at a career was to be a cartoonist. I took art classes all through school, but my mother convinced me life as an artist would be a struggle (so the same went for my music.)

If there was an animated film that appealed to me, by all means I would see it. I went to the theater for Atlantis, even.

No, it was about the story, and just as much about my station in life at the time. I just checked and it was 1989, so my earlier calculation was off. Specifically, November of 1989.

I had just graduated high school that June, and after an awful summer of fighting, was kicked out of the house 3 days before my 18th birthday in August because I dared see my father. I was homeless for a few weeks, got an apartment in mid-September, and I’ll never forget my paycheck for 2 weeks was one dollar and change more than my rent. I had a 13” black and white TV with rabbit ears and a pile of packs of ramen. So I wasn’t spending money on a movie unless it was huge. “The Little Mermaid” sounded like “My Little Pony” or something. Why would I be interested in that?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why would there be a Halloween bump almost 2 full months ahead of Halloween?
I had suggested that if HM was able to stay in theaters until at least mid-September that it potentially could see a pre-Halloween bump as families try to find season appropriate movies for their kids.

And so some posters are posting things like you quoted to basically make fun of my suggestion.

Ghost93

You would do better to ask questions rather than rudely attempt to sum me up.
I apologize for the rude nature of my post. I reread it and it came off much more judgemental/mean than I intended.

I HAVE heard many people dismiss traditional animation as inferior simply due to the medium so I misinterpreted what you were getting at.

Although even if you felt that way, it's just an opinion and my post would still be inappropriate.

TalkingHead

Searchlight’s Poor Things won the top prize at the Venice Film Festival. Sounds like it will be an awards contender and will generate a lot of “can you believe Emma Stone did that?” digital ink. Looking forward to it!

Tony the Tigger

Well, here’s our answer.
IMG_1165.jpeg

Disstevefan1

We purchased Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Prime. I just finished watching it.
WOW! AN EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!
There are too many aspects of this movie that are great to list, but I will name just some
All the characters are great
The Rat dad is a cross between Jackie Chan and Mr. Miyagi we see the evolution of this character because of his love of his turtle kids.
The humans evolve and come to love the turtles
TEAM WORK!!! I love when a movie has team work, and when the humans and the turtles worked together that was really great.
The animation style was FANTASTIC!

Being a Disney fan, I have been conditioned to go into everything with low expectations, but I left this movie feeling entertained and happy. THAT IS ALL WE WANT.

I really liked Elemental, but other than that, the recent movies although not totally awful, we OK to less than OK.

Last edited:

Ghost93

I really liked Elemental, but other than that, the recent movies although not totally awful, we OK to less than OK.
If I were to rank the animated movies I've seen from the past two years:

1. Del Toro's Pinocchio
2. Across the Spider-verse
3. Nimona
4. Turning Red
5. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
6. Elemental
7. Suzume
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (very well made, I just don't think TMNT is my thing and Across the Spider-verse stole its thunder)
9. Super Mario Bros movie
10. Lightyear
11. Strange World

I personally think Lightyear had more ambition/aristic merit than Mario, but I ranked Mario higher because it did a better job at giving the audience what they wanted and I felt Lightyear was a complete misfire from that standpoint.

Havent seen the most recent Minions movie because I generally don't like the Despicable Me/Minions franchise.

BuddyThomas

Haunted Mansion “Halloween Bump” alert:

You’re going to need to scroll quite a ways down to get to HM’s box office in this article, but it exploded this weekend to $641K, down 53% from previous week!

Last time I checked, today is September 20.

BuddyThomas

Don’t worry! We’ve been assured it will have a box office “Halloween bump”!

Next it will be the Japanese miracle! (Where it opened to only $3.2M last week, but not a big Disney market anyway apparently).

You have to believe!
No one said anything like this. It has been acknowledged by most everyone in here that the film is a flop. You people can stop your ridiculous gloating at any time.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We purchased Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Prime. I just finished watching it.
WOW! AN EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!
There are too many aspects of this movie that are great to list, but I will name just some
All the characters are great
The Rat dad is a cross between Jackie Chan and Mr. Miyagi we see the evolution of this character because of his love of his turtle kids.
The humans evolve and come to love the turtles
TEAM WORK!!! I love when a movie has team work, and when the humans and the turtles worked together that was really great.
The animation style was FANTASTIC!
It's because you watched that at home rather than in theaters that the movie flopped!!! You're the reason why Nickelodeon and Paramount Pictures are failing companies!!!! And you're the reason they won't make a sequel!!!!!

;)

Tha Realest

I distinctly remember someone suggesting this film would have a September/October/Halloween box office bump, but can now no longer find it in this thread or the HM one.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I distinctly remember someone suggesting this film would have a September/October/Halloween box office bump, but can now no longer find it in this thread or the HM one.
They suggested it *might*.

I suggested Disney didn't care about the theatrical box office and just wanted the movie to be part of a yearly Halloween movie tradition (like for Freeform's 30 days of Halloween) or for Christmas movie traditions.

Coming out Oct 8th on D+... seems like that was the plan all along with a hope of picking up some theatrical money along the way.

Tha Realest

They suggested it *might*.

I suggested Disney didn't care about the theatrical box office and just wanted the movie to be part of a yearly Halloween movie tradition (like for Freeform's 30 days of Halloween) or for Christmas movie traditions.

Coming out Oct 8th on D+... seems like that was the plan all along with a hope of picking up some theatrical money along the way.
I appreciate your characterization, but was hoping to find the original post. Can’t seem to find it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom