News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

No Name

This deal makes sense on so many levels. It’s such a no-brainer that any analyst (except the creators of The Simpson’s because they have) who hadn’t predicted this must truly be banging their heads! Just look at what Disney is getting...

Star Wars — the rest of the rights and ownership titles they currently do not have (namely, A New Hope ownership and distribution rights for original trilogies) — well, duh, makes perfect sense!

Avatar — I’ve often wondered why Disney would promote another studios’s IP at a Disney-owned theme park. It just didn’t make sense to me. Now, it will all make sense! With Star Wars, Avatar, Alien, X-Files, Planet of the Apes, and other sci-fi titles along with Marvel, Disney can make a sci-fi network or even a science fiction themed theme park (possibly outside the US). The possibilities are HUGE! Again, this makes so much sense and is such a no-brainer that it’s not even funny!

X-Men, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, etc.— See https://screenrant.com/marvel-movie-character-rights-explained-studios-sony-fox/5/

FX/FXX/Nat Geo — How many cable networks will Disney own after these are added?

That all sounds well and good, but does it add up to 60 billion dollars in value? I understand it may not be the third bargain of the century, but is this worth nearly 15 times as much as Lucasfilm or Marvel? To me it just looks like a bloated valuation. I don't see an ESPN in this deal, all I see are ABCs...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Biggest thing out of this isn’t even the movies- it’s the 60% control of Hulu. They just got their adult streaming “network” to compete with Netflix.

A funny side park-related note is that Universal has Marvel and Simpsons, so just like that- they have another IP land based around a Disney owned property. :)

Disney's goal is that if Universal parks every out-do Disney Parks and force them to close, Disney would still win because of all the licensed properties in Uni parks that Disney now owns.

bclane

To make this deal worthwhile, I wonder how much Disney is factoring in things like The Simpsons as a means of bringing Universal back to the table on the East of the Mississippi situation. I mean, I know that is a small thing compared to the 48-60 billion they are talking about, but it could be used as leverage in getting more Marvel into WDW (I’m of course assuming they want more Marvel in WDW).

ohioguy

Original Poster

bclane

Hmmmm, if this deal good through, the Harmony Barber Shop could now become the Edward Scissorhands Experience. Take my money!

EpcotEric01

ESPN and ABC use to be good before Disney ruined them. I like the park that Walt created or his ideas but Eisner his type are poison for Disney. They fired a guy for saying " CHiNGk in the armor", " for having a name " Robert Lee", threaten to pull out filming in Georgia for saying that men had to use the men's bathroom and fired TIM Alan for saying that Hollywood is a bad place for a conservative.
I think they should focus on their core business. My gosh, the monorail system need to be expanded to the other 2 parks and maybe to a hub around the other hotels. The bus system is a nightmare compared to the Monorail. Maybe they should buy the weinstein company while they are at it, that is more the style of Eisner and his type.
Eisner?

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes. They would own the entire film library as part of the contract....

Disney is already the #1 studio of a six studio system. Fox is #6. If the merger happens, Disney will still be #1 (but a bit stronger in that position) but in a FIVE studio system.

The merger to end all mergers would be this one if it ever happened. Of course this was just artwork that was used to promote who framed Roger Rabbit....With the exception of Betty Boop & Woody being owned by Universal..
who-framed-roger-rabbit-cast-photo-laser-time.jpg

Movielover

Also remember that the major studios are not the sole producers of movies these days, Now movies are produced by many different production companies and external financing. Major studios then will distribute these outside films. Disney will do this with their Touchstone and Miramax labels, especially if they are perceived as having "non-Disney" content.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To make this deal worthwhile, I wonder how much Disney is factoring in things like The Simpsons as a means of bringing Universal back to the table on the East of the Mississippi situation

Depends what the licensing contract is between Fox and Universal/Comcast. If it's like the Marvel one, it would give Disney zero leverage just like they have zero leverage over the Universal Marvel characters.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
ESPN and ABC use to be good before Disney ruined them. I like the park that Walt created or his ideas but Eisner his type are poison for Disney. They fired a guy for saying " CHiNGk in the armor", " for having a name " Robert Lee", threaten to pull out filming in Georgia for saying that men had to use the men's bathroom and fired TIM Alan for saying that Hollywood is a bad place for a conservative.
I think they should focus on their core business. My gosh, the monorail system need to be expanded to the other 2 parks and maybe to a hub around the other hotels. The bus system is a nightmare compared to the Monorail. Maybe they should buy the weinstein company while they are at it, that is more the style of Eisner and his type.

You do realize Eisner hasn't been CEO since 2005. Other than the merger with Cap Cities (who bought ABC and acquired ESPN before merging with Disney and which also brought Iger into the Disney family), all the IP purchases - Pixar, Marvel and LucasFilms - are during Iger's tenure as CEO.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
To make this deal worthwhile, I wonder how much Disney is factoring in things like The Simpsons as a means of bringing Universal back to the table on the East of the Mississippi situation. I mean, I know that is a small thing compared to the 48-60 billion they are talking about, but it could be used as leverage in getting more Marvel into WDW (I’m of course assuming they want more Marvel in WDW).

Comcast isn't going to let that contract go, not without Disney offering just about everything. Universal met all the requirements and still does. I can't imagine the price Comcast would demand Disney pay to either terminate or renegotiate the contract. And they'd probably only agree to a renegotiation allowing limited appearance of the major Marvel characters in WDW. That's why the Iron Man monorail skin for the release of Iron Man 3 was only on the resort monorail...because it technically doesn't enter any parks, just like the buses.

jt04

I agree. I did a search and found ZERO mainstream media outlets reporting that the deal was done or that terms had been agreed to.

Exactly. Not that the mainstream media is that reliable. Fortunately I can discern when they are being honest brokers of information and when they aren't. A skill everyone should try to develop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom