News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Ismael Flores

lets not forget that if this happens then Disney could in theory dominate over 40% of the theaters market.

If we look at 2016 Fox and Disney combine had a combined dominance of 40+ percent of the market. This means that Disney would have a bigger say over cinema chains with possibilities of demanding a higher percentage in ticket sells and screens available. Disney alone has had that leverage these last few years because of Lucas, Marvel and Disney live actions being hugely popular.

I'm really hoping that WDI would revive the Alien encounter attraction. WDI and TDO made a huge mistake building it in the magic park instead of MGM studios but TDO made a worse mistake replacing it with Stitch. I think it would be hugely popular now if it was built here in Anaheim. I think people are more understanding of change and it would add a inexpensive thrill element that the new generation of guests are looking for in a revitalized Tomorrowland. If Marvel is no longer destined for the northern area of Hollywood land i also think that they could probably even incorporate it some how into a idealized section of Hollywood land that pays tribute to classic movies. they would have a huge library to add a few really interesting attractions that are not just based on animated characters

seascape

yes a great collection of classic films but not for 60,000,000,000 dollars.
They are not paying 74 billion just for the movie library. They are also getting the Television library and all the IP that goes with it. They get the FOx studio property, 22 regional sports networks including YES and the BIG 10 networks. It also means another check from Universal for the Simpson theme Park rights, and this time will be for muliple parks not just Ortlando. 30 percent of Hulu and 39 percent of Sky. There are other things included like the National Geographic channel which fits perfectly with Disney Nature films and shows. So many additions and it only costs treasury stock which many here have complained they purchased. I am not sure the exact amount of money they spent on the approximate 700 million shares but it is a lot less than 74 billion. Money that most here should have been used for expansion and now is being used.

Almost forgot, the 74 billion included the addiional money needed to buy the 61 percent of SKY that will give Disney 100 percent of the largest satellite provider in Europe. This will dramatically increase Disney's market share in Europe just like Fox's Star Studio in India will increase their market share in Asia.

Ismael Flores

That all sounds well and good, but does it add up to 60 billion dollars in value? I understand it may not be the third bargain of the century, but is this worth nearly 15 times as much as Lucasfilm or Marvel? To me it just looks like a bloated valuation. I don't see an ESPN in this deal, all I see are ABCs...

reports say that those 60 billion would most likely be done in stock value. That would make lots of sense since it would be beneficial for the Murdocks.

When Disney bought Pixar and Marvel everyone said that they were overpaying. Didn't take long for them to make the money back and start earning profits almost immediately.

The huge movie library that FOX owns is a big incentive alone and would give Disney a fighting chance aginst companies like Amazon, netflix and Apple streaming. As time passes Disney would most likely not renew contracts with those three and keep their movie and tv libraries for their own streaming service leaving both Netflix and Amazon with smaller libraries and force them to invest in more original programing

Ismael Flores

What's funny is that Ferdinand is coming out soon and made by Blue Sky. Yet Disney made their adaptation back in the 1930's.

It will be interesting to see how this movie does. from what i have been reading online people at Blue Sky are really stressed and hoping it does well to show Disney that Blue sky is worth keeping around as another division of its animation studios

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It will be interesting to see how this movie does. from what i have been reading online people at Blue Sky are really stressed and hoping it does well to show Disney that Blue sky is worth keeping around as another division of its animation studios

Based upon the preview I saw, they need to keep their fingers crossed....

No Name

reports say that those 60 billion would most likely be done in stock value. That would make lots of sense since it would be beneficial for the Murdocks.

When Disney bought Pixar and Marvel everyone said that they were overpaying. Didn't take long for them to make the money back and start earning profits almost immediately.

The huge movie library that FOX owns is a big incentive alone and would give Disney a fighting chance aginst companies like Amazon, netflix and Apple streaming. As time passes Disney would most likely not renew contracts with those three and keep their movie and tv libraries for their own streaming service leaving both Netflix and Amazon with smaller libraries and force them to invest in more original programing

Beneficial for the Murdochs is not beneficial for Disney. Plus the stock value thing isn't new at all, that's what they did with Pixar and part of Marvel and Lucasfilm. But this is very different from those three because Fox doesn't have very powerful franchises outside of the theater, something key to Disney's business model. Where are the merchandise sales? Yeah there are a lot of movies and that'll help with the streaming service, but I don't think it's worth nearly 60 billion.

Ismael Flores

Interesting article about the Fantastic 4.

https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-fantastic-4-rights-constantin/

according to this Disney would not get to own the Fantastic 4 with this deal because Fox never owned them to begin with. Supposedly Fox only licensed the character and never really owned them to begin with.

So what does this mean, does the license deal transfer over to Disney? will Disney have to try and make a deal with whomever really does own the Fantastic 4?

Is Screen rant accurate about this?

Ismael Flores

Beneficial for the Murdochs is not beneficial for Disney. Plus the stock value thing isn't new at all, that's what they did with Pixar and part of Marvel and Lucasfilm. But this is very different from those three because Fox doesn't have very powerful franchises outside of the theater, something key to Disney's business model. Where are the merchandise sales? Yeah there are a lot of movies and that'll help with the streaming service, but I don't think it's worth nearly 60 billion.

I think its more about the exposure they will get when they take control of a great chunk of HULU and SKY network

champdisney

Based upon the preview I saw, they need to keep their fingers crossed....
The film stars children’s favorite, John Cena (they’ve made it known various times through promotional material) as the title character. I’m sure the film will excel come opening release.

brb1006

Maybe if they weren't known as the studio that keeps making Ice Age sequels then maybe they could be taken more seriously. I really enjoyed their film Robots and The Peanuts Movie.

brb1006

The film stars children’s favorite, John Cena (they’ve made it known various times through promotional material) as the title character. I’m sure the film will excel come opening release.
Well at least John Cena's acting has improved in Ferdinand compared to his acting in the Scooby Doo X WWE crossovers that were Direct To Video.

champdisney

Well at least John Cena's acting has improved in Ferdinand compared to his acting in the Scooby Doo X WWE crossovers that were Direct To Video.
No, I know Cena can act. I’m referring to the strong marketing that Blue Sky put in place upon the release. Since the first trailer dropped sometime over the summer, they’ve made it known that John Cena was the star. In fact, he was the one who said it himself in that trailer. This, in my opinion, was done to ensure ticket sales. (Obviously!)

seascape

I was thinking about how many of those here who are against this deal also constantly complain about everything Disney does but don't complain about Universal. In fact many loved Universals acquisition of Deamworks. They were right about that but are wrong about Fox. Yes, the trust the Murdoch's own will have about 5 percent of Disney stock but it also means they don't own 95 percent. They can't run the company unless the have half and with a market cap of 240 to 250 billion after the Fox merger and buying the rest of Sky their value would be 12 to 12.5 billion far below the 120 to 125 billion needed to run thge company.

Edit. Comcast dropped out of the Fox bidding according to Comcast owned CNBC.

Last edited:

jt04

I was thinking about how many of those here who are against this deal also constantly complain about everything Disney does but don't complain about Universal. In fact many loved Universals acquisition of Deamworks. They were right about that but are wrong about Fox. Yes, the trust the Murdoch's own will have about 5 percent of Disney stock but it also means they don't own 95 percent. They can't run the company unless the have half and with a market cap of 240 to 250 billion after the Fox merger and buying the rest of Sky their value would be 12 to 12.5 billion far below the 120 to 125 billion needed to run thge company.

Edit. Comcast dropped out of the Fox bidding according to Comcast owned CNBC.

Thanks for the info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom